Kicker input needed

SeaRogue

Hey all,

I am looking at swapping my PITA kicker (currently a beat up Yamaha 8hp HT), to a new model. Currently shopping hard between Yamaha and Suzuki 9.9s. Really liking the idea of the EFI system on the Suzuki, as well as the backup pull start. My current fear is that the gear ratio on the suzuki isn't up to the task of pushing my boat to my plug trolling speeds, model I am looking at is the BF9.9BTL, with the 2.08:1 ratio (I believe. I think the yamaha's ratio is more like 2.82:1.

Kicker needs to be 20" at least, with electric trim/tilt, elec start

The boat is a 1999 Doral Ibiza 240 WA (Basically a 24' cuddy walk around, with a 225 Yamaha 0x66 for the main power) Boat weighs somewhere north of 5k lbs.

Any input from all y'all is appreciated!

Mark

First off I'd definitely go with an xl leg. I have a 2016 9.9 HT Yamaha and it's been rock solid. My only regret is not getting power trim but I was impatient and took what was in inventory. It's pushing a 26' hourston and I could have gone with a 15hp but this has been flawless. Of course which ever you go with make sure you have a prop guard.

Last edited:
First off I'd definitely go with an xl leg. I have a 2016 9.9 HT Yamaha and it's been rock solid. My only regret is not getting power trim but I was impatient and took what was in inventory. It's pushing a 26' hourston and I could have gone with a 15hp but this has been flawless. Of course which ever you go with make sure you have a prop guard.
Pretty much goes without saying that if the Yamaha 9.9HT pushes ab1752's 26' Hourston, it does the same for my 23, which probably outweighs your boat by about 1000 lbs. My 9.9 is a 1995, bought new in the box in 2003 - Coast Guard return. Its never missed a beat, except when the impellor needed replacement.

Ya to be clear, the 9.9 moves ours no problems at all, and I'm glad I have the xl leg...rare it porpoises but when it does, that's the seas signal that it's time for me to pack it in.

It would be a slow crawl back to port under just the kicker, maybe 4 to 5 knots tops but it could do it, if called upon. The 15 would do it a bit faster but that's a rare occurrence. I'd buy the 9.9 again...

Last edited:
Ya to be clear, the 9.9 moves ours no problems at all, and I'm an glad I have the xl leg...rare it porpoises but when it does, that's the seas signal that it's time for me to pack it in.

It would be a slow crawl back to port under just the kicker, maybe 4 to 5 knots tops but it could do it, if called upon. The 15 would do it a bit faster but that's a rare occurrence. I'd buy the 9.9 again...
I made that trip home by kicker twice before I repowered -- 6 mph top speed. Better than 0.

Hey all,

I am looking at swapping my PITA kicker (currently a beat up Yamaha 8hp HT), to a new model. Currently shopping hard between Yamaha and Suzuki 9.9s. Really liking the idea of the EFI system on the Suzuki, as well as the backup pull start. My current fear is that the gear ratio on the suzuki isn't up to the task of pushing my boat to my plug trolling speeds, model I am looking at is the BF9.9BTL, with the 2.08:1 ratio (I believe. I think the yamaha's ratio is more like 2.82:1.

Kicker needs to be 20" at least, with electric trim/tilt, elec start

The boat is a 1999 Doral Ibiza 240 WA (Basically a 24' cuddy walk around, with a 225 Yamaha 0x66 for the main power) Boat weighs somewhere north of 5k lbs.

Any input from all y'all is appreciated!

Mark
Good info here on all the choices and specifics on the gear ration and thrust.

Would never go back to a carb after having the efi I lean towards suzuki but whatever route you decide to go efi is very nice as is power trim/tilt and a proper setup to tie the main and kicker together. Suzukis pricing includes controls or at least did when I bought mine and a good warranty period…

I bought a new efi 9.9 prokicker xl and so far I love it easy starts and no warm up the only thing is with the new tiller handle design you have to have it mounted fairly high or back so when it's tilted up the handle clears the transom. the engines built by tohatsu and is the same engine as the 15 and 20hp, so you could make a 9.9 a 20 by changing the ecu and taking out the restriction plate which you can also do with the Suzukis too.

Have you looked at this?

I'll go old school
9.9 high thrust circa 1991/93
electric start
Pushed my 26' Searay Cabin cruiser against the river current at a pretty good clip

I bought 2 and still have one. Purrs like a kitten and sips fuel.
Took if out of mothballs (15 years between use) checked oil, plugs and a tiny squirt of wd40 in the cylinders
Fired right up but I needed to spray some carb cleaner down the throat.

Yep it's a Yammy.

Just attached remote steering from Kicker Lift

100% ab !
I got a 2015 yami xl 9.9 HT , and its pushing my 20' striper with ease (except when I lost main engine power and wanted to power up the SF Arm with a ebb tide happening, held it's own but went nowhere , anyway that's another story) , I got the prop guard too and its saved me more than twice now. Great engines ! Oh ya I'm with ab get the power trim , I'm wishing hard I did !

Back