Stuck boat hook.

Did my best, water poured into the hole in the bottom of the handle, put it in the shower for 10 minutes (on low). squirted it with WD-40.
Only thing left is the pipe wrenches (tried with strap wrenches) which should destroy the boat hook.
And then out will come the hacksaw.
It deserves an autopsy.
Thanks for the advice.
I wish I had solved the mystery of stuck boat hooks, but no go.
I do like the idea of the painter's poles and will be looking at them.

Wooster is a name brand to look at; polly a bit on the spendy side as you’re paying for the name but still a great pole. a fibreglass outer jacket with the aluminum portion sliding within. this is a great idea

What's the purpose of the acetone in the tranny oil???
The Acetone in it works at removing rust/carbon. A mechanic friend of mine says for even better results if you have more time to soak items he soaks first in high % vinegar then in the Acetone/Tran fluid mix. I haven't tried vinegar first yet but it sounds like it's worth it from his opinion if you have really bad shape stuff with lot's of rust. Apparently people say synthetic tran fluid is better than regular because the molecule size is smaller in the synthetic so penetrates quicker and more easily.

I have the same Garelick EEz-in hook. For a couple years it was stuck in the retracted position of the two largest pole sections. I kept the hook because I rarely need all three sections and the small section still worked. I tried for years to get it to retract by rinsing with fresh water, and applying boeshield t-9. Finally one day a couple weeks ago I was trying to pick up a really difficult mooring in extreme current. The huge force on pulling caused it to finally pop out, but it was now stuck in the extended position. I tried again with the fresh water and boeshield to no avail. Then I came here and also found nothing helpful. Then I tried two channel locks and twisted the inner pole ccw and the outer pole cw as looking down from the hook. It gave up and retracted. I applied a healthy dose of boeshield t-9 too the whole thing and also sanded off some green corrosion. The hook is working well again and can be stored in the retracted position.

Thanks guys.
I have another project for tomorrow. :(
My boat is 16 feet so need it to collapse or will replace it.
Will let you know how I make out.
I agree if it does not collapse replace the boat! 16 go 20 problem solved :)

Back