Striper 2300 Question

Jammer

I just bought a Striper 2300, and I'm trying to mount my downriggers. I have the swivel bases, and the plates don't fit on the rails and let me get a good size washer under them as well.
I was wondering what other Striper owners have done before I start drilling more holes in the boat.

I tried searching for this, but the search function isn't working too well this morning.

So you are rail mounting your swivel bases ? if so you need another plate that goes between the swivel base and the rail mount bracket.

Sorry, didn't mean rail mount, just on the gunnel. The gunnel is just too thin to get the plate mounted without drilling the holes crooked.

quote:Originally posted by Jammer

I just bought a Striper 2300, and I'm trying to mount my downriggers. I have the swivel bases, and the plates don't fit on the rails and let me get a good size washer under them as well.
I was wondering what other Striper owners have done before I start drilling more holes in the boat.

I tried searching for this, but the search function isn't working too well this morning.

Try the Striper Owners Club (www.seastriper.com). There are tons of helpful owners there.

Highlights has a 2301 so the gunnels are likely a little wider than the 2300.

One thing I can tell you for certain is avoid rod holder mounts at all costs unless you re-inforce the crap out of your rod holder.

TenMile
<'((((><

I have a 2300. Best place to mount your plates is at the stern just aft of the gunnel inserts. I through bolted and added a backing plate on the inside. The structure there is as solid as it can get and having your dr's back that far is the best insurance of not running over the cables in a tight turn. Adding the backing plates is a challenge though. On the starboard side its pretty easy because of the battery box hatch. On the Port side you only havethe 6" round access hatch so you have to reach in with the nuts blindly and have someone else turn the bold for you. Its a reach but it can be done.

I have to agree with the gunnel panels. Avoid them if possible. Sherwood installed my mounts and they opted to place them on the inset panels. I have had nothing but trouble with flex and cracking at the seam lines. ( not happy ) I do like the position as they are easy to get to vs. being too far back. My transducer seems to pick up the ball as well on a very short troll. That in itself sucks. I have had to reinforce the gunnel panels and now have had no further issues. I would have opted to remove the inset panel lines by laying more glass then retexturing and gel coating but Sherwood insisted on reinforcing from the underside. The problem I see from mounting the bases aft of the panels and closer to the stern is you land just as the gunnel starts to drop and curve. Outfitters mounted theirs back there and had to use Starboard shims. The downrigger arm also projects further back ( when folded back ) than the motors on the longarm and is a bit of a pain when mooring in close proximity to other boats.( and just looks kind of goofy ) Just means you have to fold them forward I suppose. Anyways either way will work.

Thanks for the options. I looked at the right angle gunnel mounts, but the bolt holes are half an inch lower than my gunnel insert.
After looking at them for a while, I used a whole bunch of JB weld, filled in the bottom of the mount and redrilled the outside holes slightly closer together. Used it today and it seemed to work pretty well. I'll keep an eye on them to see if they start cracking the insert.

Back