150 ETEC power tilt/trim

Pearl dog

Hi,
My 150 ETEC (2012) power trim/tilt is acting up. Recently it had stopped working all together up or down from either switch. During this time I was able to hear the relay clicking when the tilt button was pushed but no noise from the electric motor. I tried bypassing the tilt limit switch as well. Finally I was able to activate the trim motor simply by a light tap on the motor itself while holding the button. It will work up and down for a while but if it sits for any time it requires another tap to get it moving. I assume I need a new electric motor or a rebuild etc. My question is, can I replace just the motor and can it be done without lifting or removing the engine off the transom? Internet research so far has been vague and/or conflicting. Any ETEC folks in the know?
Also wondering Is there any chance I'll get lucky and its just due to the near zero temp the day I was using it?
Thanks,
PD

Hi,
My 150 ETEC (2012) power trim/tilt is acting up. Recently it had stopped working all together up or down from either switch. During this time I was able to hear the relay clicking when the tilt button was pushed but no noise from the electric motor. I tried bypassing the tilt limit switch as well. Finally I was able to activate the trim motor simply by a light tap on the motor itself while holding the button. It will work up and down for a while but if it sits for any time it requires another tap to get it moving. I assume I need a new electric motor or a rebuild etc. My question is, can I replace just the motor and can it be done without lifting or removing the engine off the transom? Internet research so far has been vague and/or conflicting. Any ETEC folks in the know?
Also wondering Is there any chance I'll get lucky and its just due to the near zero temp the day I was using it?
Thanks,
PD
@ship happens

Yes you can change just the motor. Assembly gets removed for that to happen. It's not hard to do. Sometimes if the engine lived in the salt for many years the pins will be seized in. Then you need the torch and aluminum and brass punches.

I've got parts for those if need

Yes you can change just the motor. Assembly gets removed for that to happen. It's not hard to do. Sometimes if the engine lived in the salt for many years the pins will be seized in. Then you need the torch and aluminum and brass punches.

I've got parts for those if need
Great. Thanks

I replaced mine last year and did it myself - never had to take the motor off but it was a bit of a bear? A couple of buddies helped me, none of us had ever replaced one - had to order in the tilt motor from South Island Marine in Sidney - I think it’s called Sea Pro or Sea Power now? The motor was 380$ I think if memory is correct - found cheaper one’s on Amazon but I wanted the Evinrude one - I broke a couple of bolts getting the tilt motor off so had to drill and tap new threads in the housing - I’m sure if I had to do another one it wouldn’t take as long as it did - bit of farting around for sure getting the wiring harness out and the new one back in? Not sure where you located but let me know and I can show you what to do and what not to do if you want? Mine works good now - Cam at 250-213-7876

I’m waay late on this thread but how did it go for you Pearl Dog?
I have same problem on the same motor (2015) and found a new OEM motor on eBay for under $200, Sask supplier clearing out warehouse. My issue now is the bottom rod ., I’ve heated it many times, lubed with ATF/acetone mix many times .. it moved 1/8” near the start but nothing since .. think I need a porta-power unit to push it out
Any input would be appreciated :)

Sounds like what happened to mine. Even tho I grease things regularly and generally keep a clean, cared for boat the tilt motor actually failed due to working so hard against the slowly seizing tilt rod/tube. I didn't do the work myself but my very experienced mechanic had a hell of a time and some bruised and bloody knuckles to show for it. What he expected to be a couple hours turned into a full day event. He seemed somewhat surprised by this and said he's only ever seen the electric motor quit a couple of times and not for this particular reason.

I'm sorry I don't know the exact technique he used to break it free. I'll see if I can find out but not likely to be in time for your project. The good news (for you) is that my repair cost a helluva lot more than 200 bucks!

@Bag-Juan thank you for that info and offer. I only saw it today. I'm glad you got yours sorted out

Sounds like what happened to mine. Even tho I grease things regularly and generally keep a clean, cared for boat the tilt motor actually failed due to working so hard against the slowly seizing tilt rod/tube. I didn't do the work myself but my very experienced mechanic had a hell of a time and some bruised and bloody knuckles to show for it. What he expected to be a couple hours turned into a full day event. He seemed somewhat surprised by this and said he's only ever seen the electric motor quit a couple of times and not for this particular reason.

I'm sorry I don't know the exact technique he used to break it free. I'll see if I can find out but not likely to be in time for your project. The good news (for you) is that my repair cost a helluva lot more than 200 bucks!

@Bag-Juan thank you for that info and offer. I only saw it today. I'm glad you got yours sorted out
Thanks for your response ., knuckle buster for a pro ouch
ya, more misery ahead, I’ll give It a whirl but after coho season ., when it does move and I keep the button held down, it‘s working well enough lately, sometimes with a tap on the trim motor, so that I don’t have to lift it by hand, again 😅

Back