strip casting

adanac

the older i get the more i want to move away from what has now become the norm of down rigging for salmon. don’t get me wrong , still has its time and place but i find myself using older techniques more , still with great success ( mooching cuttplugs, live herring on anchor , jigging) . one technique i’ve heard old timers talk about over the years but really have not a clue about is “ strip casting “ . would love some insight on this

You make some great points for sure. I look forward to a row someday in the CR tyee pool and one of my most favorite fishing experiences ever was towing bucktails in prop wash up bute for coho mid Sept...we connected with a 19.5lb coho and brought it home in spite of all the kokanee and Canadian landmines strewn across the deck.

Being an old dog I have continued to use the “old ways “ taught to me by my dad in the seventies and like you, still find good success with them in the right conditions.As to strip casting I have found a modern twist to it you might like to try.For your shooting portion of the line Rather than using heavy mono to strip onto the deck or into a basket Tie in 100 feet of “Amnesia” brand fly fishing shooting line,it stays totally limp as you lay it down and shoots off the deck tangle free!This will save you the hundreds of hours the old boys put in learning to cast a hundred feet of coiled mono!If you’ve ever seen an old master strip casting you will know what I mean.

Strip casting, as in employing shooting heads of a running line with a fly rod? Some guys use 40lb mono for a running line but I can only see that turning into a reel mess. I have horrible line management. There are specific designed lines available but the price of those has gone nuts. I have used old fly lines and just cut the heads off, using the non tapered running section. Caught lots of salmon and rockfish casting and stripping in flies. I have yet to get a good feeder chinook.

I use a downrigger to troll around and find fish. It works. Gets boring really fast. Seems to mechanical. Been trying to learn how to mooch lately. The fun is in the learning something new.

I've never done it but had it described to me in detail once by someone who did it all the time in the early 80's. Having the deck and rail clear of obstructions and snags is obviously important. (or use a basket). Here is a bit from the 1981 regs/handbook. The Amnesia line sounds like a good idea.
Also course fish and wasted time if the bait falls off midair could be issues.
"Stripcasting:
Stripcasting is a special way to try for salmon. The equipment required is basically a mooching rod, which is a 270 to 360 cm rod with limber tip, and a single-action reel holding 300 m of 7 to 12 kg test "hard" monofilament line. Cast a herring strip and a sinker-weight of 15 to 100 g and retrieve in pulls of about one metre at a time. The herring strip usually is cut on the thin side, tapering almost to skin at the tail."

Never heard of the above interesting technique. I would think a modified, streamlined version of the same technique would work using fly gear and heavy sink tips. Can you still buy strip. I still have some of those tiny teaser heads. They'd be killer in sand lance country. Cutting strip is harder than I thought.

I've never done it but had it described to me in detail once by someone who did it all the time in the early 80's. Having the deck and rail clear of obstructions and snags is obviously important. (or use a basket). Here is a bit from the 1981 regs/handbook. The Amnesia line sounds like a good idea.
Also course fish and wasted time if the bait falls off midair could be issues.
"Stripcasting:
Stripcasting is a special way to try for salmon. The equipment required is basically a mooching rod, which is a 270 to 360 cm rod with limber tip, and a single-action reel holding 300 m of 7 to 12 kg test "hard" monofilament line. Cast a herring strip and a sinker-weight of 15 to 100 g and retrieve in pulls of about one metre at a time. The herring strip usually is cut on the thin side, tapering almost to skin at the tail."
I strip cast in 2 separate ways, One is to do it on anchor while fishing live herring,it’s a good way to keep your hands busy as you watch the rod tips on the lilies.The other technique is drift over bait balls using your sonar just like you would for jigging.The most successful presentation is to cast as far or a bit farther than the fish are deep then let the weight and strip fall on a tight line in an arc like a pendulum,the tapered strip will flutter and swim like a wounded bait fish.When your line is at a 60-70 degree angle start the 1 meter pull retrieve and hold on tight!!

I strip cast in 2 separate ways, One is to do it on anchor while fishing live herring,it’s a good way to keep your hands busy as you watch the rod tips on the lilies.The other technique is drift over bait balls using your sonar just like you would for jigging.The most successful presentation is to cast as far or a bit farther than the fish are deep then let the weight and strip fall on a tight line in an arc like a pendulum,the tapered strip will flutter and swim like a wounded bait fish.When your line is at a 60-70 degree angle start the 1 meter pull retrieve and hold on tight!!
will try this while on anchor fishing liveys this weekend

I suppose the old technique that used to be popular in California of fishing strip attached to a small leadhead jig under a float could be considered a type of strip casting.

Do this all the time while mooching with cut plug herring,sometimes if you miss a take you can get him back by stripping aggressively, if your buddies getting a take grab another rod from the holder and strip like mad, get lots of doubles that way or , haha sometimes steal your buddies fish with the action you have just created. Will get line burns sometimes while you try to feed the line back through the guides to get line back on the reel. Lots of different methods

An older friend of mine taught me last year how they would fish for coho and Chinook. Strip casting. One pice 9ft rods and very noodly. Old lamiglass blanks. Barries bait used to build these 30 years ago. They have an eyelet just up from the top cork above the reelseat. In which you sort of fish it like a fly rod. Old school windex reels and 20lb mono. Small mooching weights inline. 4ft liter onto a very small trebble hook. Go right through the snout sideways with the trebble.

Live herring. Strip out to desired depth etc and mooch. When the fish hits you strip out line until they swallow the herring. Then you set the hook. Fishing with your index finger on the top eyelet. It's alot of fun. It's somewhat technical. Especially if your using strip instead of live bait.

Attachments

• 16263804677027021675491735911190.jpg
    16263804677027021675491735911190.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 39
New in box lol

Attachments

• 16263900414248320930454884265893.jpg
    16263900414248320930454884265893.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 32
the older i get the more i want to move away from what has now become the norm of down rigging for salmon. don’t get me wrong , still has its time and place but i find myself using older techniques more , still with great success ( mooching cuttplugs, live herring on anchor , jigging) . one technique i’ve heard old timers talk about over the years but really have not a clue about is “ strip casting “ . would love some insight on this
You must be bored with getting so many that you need a challenge, lol

Back