Stratacraft??

RonC

Bought this 1980 Stratacraft in May. Hull is 17 1/2 feet with a 7 1/2 foot beam. I believe they were originally made in Duncan, then Richmond. Out of business the mid 1980's. Can't find much info on them, just curious if anyone knows anything about them. Thanks, Ron.

IMG_0729.jpg

I had a 1984 that was apparently built from K&C plans. I can’t remember the exact story but apparently a former owner or employee of K&C took his plans with him when leaving the company and started Stratacraft. I can’t substantiate this story but I have personally seen an almost identical hull to my boat with K&C stickers on it so it seems plausible132C34A6-4BB8-467C-AB56-56C0D6A64B10.jpeg

I’ll also add that the hull was constructed using the hand-laid fibreglass method and my 250 lb. carcass was easily supported by the bow. This boat is still in service today by an avid fisherman although the 115 tower of power of the same vintage in the pic gave up the ghost some years ago.

Bought this 1980 Stratacraft in May. Hull is 17 1/2 feet with a 7 1/2 foot beam. I believe they were originally made in Duncan, then Richmond. Out of business the mid 1980's. Can't find much info on them, just curious if anyone knows anything about them. Thanks, Ron.

View attachment 96836
Dude, sweet little boat! Do you have pics of the interior layout? Bow Storage with windows?!

Thanks. Photo is what it looked like when I bought it. Has a cuddy up front with 6 foot berths, those plastic windows you see, and a deck hatch. It had a marine head in there as well but I pulled it and glassed up the through hulls, now just a porta-potti.

470 engine but seems to run okay, shows 490 hours. Started to gut it and will replace the stringers this winter. Transom is solid, nice that it has no glass on the inside of the transom, just painted plywood, so a bit easier to redo that if necessary. It had a dealer sticker on it that said it was sold in Terrace. I did a search with the hull # and found this:

"The manufacturer identification code ZSJ stands for the company name Cowichan Fiberglass which is currently Out of Business. ZSJ sometimes goes by these name Stratacraft Boats Inc. Cowichan Fiberglass is owned by Eric Duncan and is located at 2853 Roberts Road in Duncan BC. Cowichan Fiberglass started making boats as of 12/12/1979 and went out of business on 11/6/1996."

Attachments

• 344746550_923935172210839_3568485708113425342_n.jpeg
    344746550_923935172210839_3568485708113425342_n.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 21
Here's a pic of pulling out the old foam and exposing the gas tank. (I replaced that tank with a plastic Moeller 25 gallon.) The middle pair of stringers coming from the transom "end" where the original tank sat as it was too wide to fit between them. The stringers "start" again about 10 inches forward of the tank, as you can see in the photo. Didn't know gas tanks were "structural"! I put in some temporary stringers to "close the gap" where the old tank was before I put in the new gas tank (which fits between the stringers) as I wanted to use the boat this summer. As I said above I'm replacing all the stringers this winter.
IMG_0595 (1).jpeg

IMG_0592.jpeg

I’ll also add that the hull was constructed using the hand-laid fibreglass method and my 250 lb. carcass was easily supported by the bow. This boat is still in service today by an avid fisherman although the 115 tower of power of the same vintage in the pic gave up the ghost some years ago.
Thanks, this is definitely a K&C copy as after your post I found pictures of K&C hulls that look identical.

Back