Stock Decimation Thread

H

haverodwilltravel

Let this thread be a collection of informative ideas as to the causes of the decimation of our stocks of fish.

What do you people think of this? Apparently there was a meeting last night and the turnout against this proposal was overwhelming. There were so many people that the fire marshall threatened to close the place down because they were over capacity.

I guess people need power to live. Do you see how our existence itself poses a threat to the stocks of fish? This project will probably go through. All of us will benefit in some way, however, some of us will bear the brunt of the collateral damage this causes, more than others. Users of the fish resources, ie commercial fisherman, Indians, and sports fishermen will take a direct hit with this one.

Here's the gist of the story:
Northwest Cascade Power Ltd., a wholly owned subsidiary of Run of River Power Inc. (ROR) is planning to develop seven run-of-the-river hydro-electric power projects in the Upper Pitt River watershed. ROR has begun the regulatory review process to obtain the necessary permits and approvals for the projects.

The proposed projects will have a combined capacity of 140 MW, providing an important source of clean, green renewable energy. The electricity will be connected to the power grid through one of two transmission routes: one traveling west to connect with the Cheekeye sub-station in Squamish, or the other traveling south to connect with the Port Coquitlam sub-station, in Port Coquitlam. The seven streams are tributaries to the Upper Pitt River, and include Bucklin Creek, Pinecone Creek, Homer Creek, Shale Creek, Steve Creek, Corbold Creek and Boise Creek. The components of each of the projects include a high elevation weir and water intake, penstock, powerhouse and transformer.

When I see this already it makes me want to cry. Literally, I mean what else is there left. Humans just keep wanting to destroy the last pristine places found in our precious Province, and the World for that matter. It comes down to the same things over and over, greed for the almighty dollar. For the guy who even thought this "project" out, I mean to use the word thought is wrong, "dreamt" is more appropriate, should be taken and dropped in the middle of that park and see how he likes it when he has to try and adapt to surviving a collossal change in his daily habits. Bets are he would perish quickly, as will the creatures of that region once it has been invaded by this so called "green" Run of River power project. To use "green" to try to cover up the major environmental damage this project will cause, should be reason alone to not allow this. Officials should see that as the cherry on top and not condone the rights to the power companies to be able to just wreck pristine natural environments.

There's something of a disconnect here, the projects in the Upper Pitt aren't in any way responsible for decimating Salmon stocks, they can't</u> be because....

1-they haven't been built yet

2-they are above the reach of any anadromous species.

The problem is that electricity doesn't come from the moon and burning coal is too dirty and diesel is too expensive (even for a developed country like Canada).

So, what are you going to do?

Where will the electricity to power your HD TV come from?

The fact is that run-of-the-river projects are one way to deal with ever increasing electricity demands, the Pitt controversy comes from the Govt wanting to redraw the boundaries of a park something BCers won't go for at all, if they howl long enough and hard enough they may affect the outcome.

But the simple fact is that anadromous fish stocks are doomed by changes that all come from human activity, whether it's warming in the ocean that results in no phyto or zoo plankton for out migrating Smolts or Fraser gravel dredging ripping apart Redds and destroying Salmon and Sturgeon juveniles it's all over but the crying.[xx(]

People worship money they live for money and every single thing in the natural world that can be sold for money will be.

Oh my god, now I'm crying toooo.

I was a whole lot happier before all of this enlightenment. Is there really no hope? With all of these usery groups, how can any of this turn around? Every effort we would make is dissolved by another?

Well, I figure I can't fix the problem so the next best plan is adapting to it. I'm planning on starting up a company to convert swimming pools to closed containment fishing pond. You get a giant aquarium and a fresh food source in your own back yard. Just think how much you can save on not having to buy a boat and fuel! No more worry about the weather either!! You can fish 365 days of the year, used barbed hooks and not have to carry a tape measure everywhere you go!!!

Comic releif seemed like the only possible response to this thread [V]

SIR, what you wanna watch out for is the environmentalist establishment who, after two weeks of you having your fish pond, will declare this pond as prime fish and frog habitat and impose restrictions on your backyard fishery that make you wanna grow bread-trees soon ;)

People worship money they live for money and every single thing in the natural world that can be sold for money will be.

So very true. So the question is, how do allocate the land so that we ALL benefit equally, and All share the costs equally???

The fact is, we can't. Some groups will REAP greater benefits than others, and some people will PAY the cost more than others. It will cost User groups such as the Sports Fisherman more , but certainly not as much as another group, who shall remain nameless. :D

Klob, totally agree with you. Overfishing for herring hurts fish stocks. Only a few benefit, and the rest of us pay. The shameful part is that the majority of the product is exported to Japan.

I remember the days when you could catch a salmon in Qualicum almost any time. Now the big season is only when they return to spawn.

Back