stinger hook potentially illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayday

So, flipping the channels last night and watched one of those "West Coast Fishing Journals" -this time he was with a guide out of Port Hardy - at the end they went over the gear they were using - basically anchovies in teaser heads - they then specifically went over the hooks - 2 trebles - one in the bait, and one several inches hanging past the tail of the anchovy - quite a bit farther back than I normally rig it ( I usually have it just at the tail) - but it got me curious - so I went back and re-read the regs - and they state single hooks can only be used, except any combination of hooks can be used "to hold a single piece of bait" - and I think the operative words are "to hold" - and in the case above, the stinger hook is not even touching the bait, therefore not "holding" the bait, and therefore illegal?
Curious if anyone has ever had any feedback from any DFO on this?

Someone may jump in with an answer they received from DFO but if they don't just send your question directly to them. I have sent in several questions regarding the regulations and they get back to me with an answer usually within a couple of days.

I thought it read that it has to be rigged in a way that it can only catch one fish. Or something like that.

Someone may jump in with an answer they received from DFO but if they don't just send your question directly to them. I have sent in several questions regarding the regulations and they get back to me with an answer usually within a couple of days.
mainly because this is just idle curiosity/topic of discussion. It's not how I rig them so I'm not concerned about myself having any negative interactions with DFO.

I thought it read that it has to be rigged in a way that it can only catch one fish. Or something like that.
The regs read "to hold the bait" and "as not to catch more than one fish" - In this case, there wasn't really any possible way it could be construed as being able to catch more than one fish (i.e just a stinger) so that wasn't the concern.

I think you're still only using one to hold the bait and one to catch the fish. I read it as legal.

"in tidal waters, where you can attach any number of hooks to a fishing line if using the hooks in combination to hold a single piece of bait and if they’re not arranged so as to catch more than one fish"

Above is what the reg's state. More than a bit poorly written. A hook "several inches " behind the tail is the OP's definition; most common definition os several is "more than 2 but fewer than many".

FYI IMO using singles for everything gives the best action & I believe trebles are banned everywhere else coast-wide for Salmon for good reason.

Stinger have been used for decades and there is nothing illegal about them except obviously when used in a few special zones where it is one single hook only, such as the Tyee Pool where it also has to be on an artificial lure. DFO has never had a problem with this. The principle is one lure or bait capable of catching one fish at a time. Under that same principle, I understand some even put a head hook in by placing a treble under the plastic lip of a teaser head in case the salmon hits from the front, so it is possible for a bait to have three hooks and still be legal. Now trying to set up something similar to a herring jig for salmon, capable of catching multiple salmon, that would be illegal and even if it was not, in my view would also be impractical and not much fun playing salmon, which is the purpose of sport fishing.

Last edited:
Just to clarify this for me.
There's a lot of reference to holding baits with the help of trebles.
However, I use plugs and attach a small stinger treble.
So is that allowed or have I been fishing illegally in blissful ignorance?
I basically use this set for hali and bottom fish but will often bring it up mid-water for salmon.

I basically use this set for hali and bottom fish but will often bring it up mid-water for salmon.
You are fine and there is no reason to rehash the endless debate on single verses treble hooks on a thread discussing stingers. There are numerous threads on treble use.

They are not banned maybe in a river but not in ocean ever see jigs? stings? premade teaser rigs??and I keep searching for guys that have a clue!!!

here maybe you can learn something!!!!Sorry but had to respond ......

Treble barbless hooks are acceptable in most areas; except in tidal areas of coastal rivers

look under fishing gear ohh what there are NOT banned !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT, it may not be so obviously legal- ignoring the type of hook ( single vs treble) - the regs specifically state ONE hook UNLESS "holding" a bait - so in your case if you are talking about a plastic plug with a trailing stinger, I think there is room for it to be interpreted as being illegal.

BUT, it may not be so obviously legal- ignoring the type of hook ( single vs treble) - the regs specifically state ONE hook UNLESS "holding" a bait - so in your case if you are talking about a plastic plug with a trailing stinger, I think there is room for it to be interpreted as being illegal.
My first hook on my hoochies "holds" the hoochie from sliding to the second hook. :)

They are not banned maybe in a river but not in ocean ever see jigs? stings? premade teaser rigs??and I keep searching for guys that have a clue!!!

here maybe you can learn something!!!!Sorry but had to respond ......

Treble barbless hooks are acceptable in most areas; except in tidal areas of coastal rivers

look under fishing gear ohh what there are NOT banned !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EricL is from Washington state, where only single-barbless hooks are allowed for salmon fishing:

"Barbless Hooks – are required for all species in Marine Areas 5-13, except forage fish jig gear. When fishing for salmon in Areas 1-13, singlepoint barbless hooks must be used."

So you're both right? :D

Addendum: And stingers are legal there too: "Hook and Line Angling – Unless noted differently, only one line with up to 2 hooks is allowed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back