Steelhead rigs and hook sizes/styles

S

SIR

Weather allowing in the next week I'm thinking of burning some gas to head up to the mouth of the Theodosia and check out a rumour that it's a good spot for steelhead in March...

Having NEVER set my sights on ocean run steelhead I'm going with my Ontario rainbow knowledge and thinking 8' 12# fluoro leader with some split shots to a floating hook with worms as Plan A, some egg sacs as Plan B, and a mepps black fury as a Plan C....

Anybody like to offer and opinions as to my plan of attack? Any favorite hook sizes/styles for these rigs?

The hardest part is likely going to be getting out of the boat and over the mud flats so I can walk up the river bank, think I might take along a few 2x8's to make a walkway :D

All help greatly appreciated!!!

Nope, no bait ban, but thanks for making me check. River isn't even listed but that's not too surprising as I'd be shocked if more than a couple hundred people a year even see it, never mind fish it...

We usually take tours there in the fall to see the eagles as it's not uncommon to see 50+ chowing down on Chum but other than a few loggers there is not too much motion in that area at any time of the year.

I think all bc rivers are bait ban unless otherwise noted. Someone else might be able to confirm. That sounds sweet though ive always wanted to fish a boat access only remote stream.

is this the same river?? ithttp://www.theodosia.bcit.ca/river.html

Darmin, that's the one.

Kelly, I looked at the electronic regs on-line and they specifically said that a province wide bait ban was considered last year but that they did not proceed with the initiative. So my understanding is that bait is not banned unless specifically mentioned in the regs as a gear restriction. A number of the larger rivers in more populous areas are listed but none of the remote rivers around us make the list...

We had two guests stay with us last night who just came back from a Heli-fishing trip into Jervis Inlet. They had a great time flyfishing.... have to try that some time...

Just a tip from a neighbour who went up a few years ago and did well.... it's a nice cruise to get there so worst case I blow $100 in gas and don't catch anything but it's a pretty area and something other than salmon fishing will be a nice change of pace...

More and more I'm finding that folks in this area who have been here for a long time are really spoiled by how the fishing "used to be" so their "bad" fishing is in my books "very good fishing" even though you actually have to do a little work to find them. Guess I'll find out... but as the old saying goes there is no such thing as a bad day fishing :)

SIR,

Post when you are thinking of going. I could possibly meet you there on my quad:) I've looked at the river a number of times, but have only seen fish there when the chum are spawning. Otherwise, post a message saying how you did.

FishWish

PS Cutthroat fishing was good in your area today, eventhough I got soaked to the bone. So much for a weather forecast saying chance of showers.

Back