Squamish?

reid

I currently live on vancouver island and know lots of spots for various species around here. I am more than likely moving to whistler this summer and am contemplating where to keep my boat. I know there is fishing around horseshoe bay, but no idea what it is like up near squamish. I believe there is a decent pink run, but is there much else? Is there winter spring fishing there or prawning?

Not looking for spots at all, just looking for general information to help me decide what to do.
Thanks,
Reid.

If you plan to Moore your boat, try to get in at thunderbird, sunset marina or horseshoe bay as Squamish is a waste of time. All the best fishing is south of Squamish. Thunderbird is the most central to all the fishing. Closest spot to Squamish is defense island and this is usually only fished for short time in the early summer, and it is actually a good run from Squamish. It seems to always be windy and rough from Squamish to at least porteau cove. I live in whistler and Moore in false creek. The drive from whistler down to the above marinas I listed is pretty quick better, to go by car/truck then boat. The fishing is around Bowen island for April may, followed by the gulf islands, the west van coho, the north arm to south arm and back to vancouver harbor. All a long rough ride from Squamish. I have a few friends at sunset and they like it there. Thunderbird is a very nice facility and both have prawning right out front. I Moore in false creek as we like to hit up the city as we can stay at my mother in laws and base out of there, maybe leave the boy there time time lol. Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks for the info. Not what I wanted to hear, but what I assumed. I will look into those marinas.

Thanks again,
Reid.

Defence island is nice, and some big fish have been taken there. I often wonder if there's a higher number of springs rolling through Howe sound than we actually realize. It's a big area and we always fish hole in the wall up to say lions bay and maybe the fish have been milling around on the other side of the sound.

Defence island is nice, and some big fish have been taken there. I often wonder if there's a higher number of springs rolling through Howe sound than we actually realize.
Judging from the few I've seen spawning in the Squamish I'd say No.

It's a big area and we always fish hole in the wall up to say lions bay and maybe the fish have been milling around on the other side of the sound.
There's so many Seals on the other side it's stupid they have to be seen to be believed.

Odd thing since it was so heavily polluted for so long-can you say Black Liquor?

Oh man I know,I saw a log boom come through heading towards the north arm with do many seals on it you could hardly see a single stick of wood. It was crazy to me, good thing UBC keeps raising and releasing seal pups.

Back