Southern Gulf Islands fishing

A Halibut spreader bar is shaped like a builder's square, about 5" x 8", with a weight attached to the short leg and a short leader with a double hook tie for the bait attached to the long leg. Mainline attaches at the corner. The other really popular rig is a large weight with a giant hootchy and hooks at the top that are often baited with octopus or whatever.

Paul

Edited by - lpaulcarter on 07/24/2003 22:38:35

anyone know if there was ever halibut in the gulf islands? or in georgia strait for that matter? seems like they only live on the outside and the closest to the inside is victoria.

anyone know if there was ever halibut in the gulf islands? or in georgia strait for that matter? seems like they only live on the outside and the closest to the inside is victoria.

In the past few years some halibut have been showing up in the Campbell River area. This past winter, a buddy of mine got a 60 pounder off Bates beach (about 2-3 miles north of the ferry slip at Comox). he was trolling deep about 200' for winter springs.

Halibut in the strait are almost unheard of, but there are more and more hali's showing up in unusual locations in the past few years. Sine they have a tremendous migratory range, we may start seeing a few more of them.

In the past few years some halibut have been showing up in the Campbell River area. This past winter, a buddy of mine got a 60 pounder off Bates beach (about 2-3 miles north of the ferry slip at Comox). he was trolling deep about 200' for winter springs.

Halibut in the strait are almost unheard of, but there are more and more hali's showing up in unusual locations in the past few years. Sine they have a tremendous migratory range, we may start seeing a few more of them.

BobW is quite right. There have been several good Halibut caught near Campbell River (The Hump area) the past couple of years and a couple over 100 lbs. There are a few of the local boys specifically targetting them nowadays with some success.
Stocks seem to be in decent shape and recovering in some areas from what I read and hear.

Take care.

BobW is quite right. There have been several good Halibut caught near Campbell River (The Hump area) the past couple of years and a couple over 100 lbs. There are a few of the local boys specifically targetting them nowadays with some success.
Stocks seem to be in decent shape and recovering in some areas from what I read and hear.

Take care.

Take care.

Take care.

Back