Sooke2015

Found a salmon net floating off sooke today. If you lost it PM me. And don't worry Its still good, tested it out on a nice little spring.

sounds like pretty tough fishing in Sooke right now..

Yes if you dont like no stop action of getting 40 to 50 fish a day.... Yes pinks are crazy but do you want to troll for 5 hours with 3 bumps or "fishing" and catching lots?? all perspective in what you want my clients today were gleaming after taking home 16 fish 2 of which were springs we got some coho (released 3 wild coho and sockeye) lost 3 other springs...yeah really tough..... LOL

Good luck wolf

Q
Yes if you dont like no stop action of getting 40 to 50 fish a day.... Yes pinks are crazy but do you want to troll for 5 hours with 3 bumps or "fishing" and catching lots?? all perspective in what you want my clients today were gleaming after taking home 16 fish 2 of which were springs we got some coho (released 3 wild coho and sockeye) lost 3 other springs...yeah really tough..... LOL

Good luck wolf

I'll take that tough action all day lol..

Skippered in the Consultants Derby again this year. Not as stellar as last year but managed two chinooks officially weighed in at 12.5 and 13.5lbs. Biggest one caught by my daughter. My boat contributed to the winning team again this year (CRD), same as last year. So that is OK.
Both chinooks were deep (99’ and 110’) on anchovy west of Secretary. Moved there after three fruitless hours at the Trap.

So weekend report went with good friends who are consultants on saturday we managed 4 that day 3 smaller ones bit one nice one at 17.2 think i heard them say 9th place So ray went up and got a certificate for 600 bucks to painters lodge, Must say derby ran VERY good food was excellent loved the jerk chicken. Guys did an awesome job please keep it up one of the better ran derbies we have.....

Sunday out again and yeah whales came by first light managed a whack of pinks and lost 2 springs one was right beside boat guy did everything right was just about to net it and pop andrew P spoon came out fish 2 fisherman 0 it happens ..

im figuring with the set of tides this week we should get a shot of fresh fish down maybe some bigger ones and rain im sure helped I hope..

good luck wolf

Skippered in Consultants Derby on Saturday.
Echo what Wolf said, very well run derby. great people, great food, great prizes and everything runs on schedule.
Also great fund raising! I like that the donations are announced at the derby and cheques presented to the hatcheries. Great job again guys! Best run derby in town.

As for fishing... Very busy out there. Went through 4 packs of bait and I had switched 1 side to spoons at 10 am.
Weighed in an 18.8lb spring and lost 2 others. Countless pinks, 5 sox and a few under size springs.
Happy crew.

Tips.

After grinding through the pinks and the occasional coho the last two weekends was rewarded with a mid teens spring off the trailer park yesterday right at slack. 100 feet (basically the bottom) on a super betsy and green andrew p spoon (44 inch leader, thank you for the tip roy).

Finally something to write about. Fished West and hooked up right away and landed a nice 20 lb on the scale. Finally broke the 20lb curse I had going on. I actually thought it was bigger. Wolf was beside me but I turned out of traffic so I am not sure if he saw my rod explode. Frick. Oh well. Not too upset about it as I was quite happy.

Caught on a squid w/ dummy flasher.....yes you read that right. ;)

JL

No I didnt was probally playing with some sort of fish myself....as its been busy catching out there. sucks about your rod but thats a good trade....reward yourself with a new fishing rod now...LOL
Still lots of fish to be had in sooke pinks coho and some socks and yes a few springs we only managed one spring to the boat today (22) but took home a limit anyways of others.... defiantly nows the time to take that kid fishing or someone who has never been

Good luck wolf

Here on our annual holidays with the family. Tried spoons first couple days at a stores recommendation in order to get 8n to springs and not go through a pile of bait on pinks. With no springs to show for it and with a newbie that joined me I decided to bring along a pack of anchovies. I just to my line down and it was off the rigger. To my surprise it was a nice spring. Unfortunately the leader broke at the teaser head as we went to net it. Was the only spring of the day for us at otter pt. Newbie had a blast bringing in pinks and socks as they were his first ever salmon.

Today gave otter another try with family nothing but pinks. Didn't see any springs caught so headed to trap shack and got two hatch coho released two sockeye and a few pinks mixed in. Largest coho 8 lbs on bait with smaller one on Sitka spoon.

Here on our annual holidays with the family. Tried spoons first couple days at a stores recommendation in order to get 8n to springs and not go through a pile of bait on pinks. With no springs to show for it and with a newbie that joined me I decided to bring along a pack of anchovies. I just put my line down and it was off the rigger. To my surprise it was a nice spring. Unfortunately the leader broke at the teaser head as we went to net it. Was the only spring of the day for us at otter pt. Newbie had a blast bringing in pinks and socks as they were his first ever salmon.
Today gave otter another try with family nothing but pinks. Didn't see any springs caught so headed to trap shack and got two hatch coho released two sockeye and a few pinks mixed in. Largest coho 8 lbs on bait with smaller one on Sitka spoon.

Out today with my new brother in law from Mexico for his first fishing trip and had a great time.
Limited out, mostly on pinks but beginners luck he ended up winching in a 15 lb spring as his first ever salmon catch!

Action on the pinks was non stop as has been reported, didn't matter what lure. The spring was picked up just around 9am near beechy on bloody nose teaser @ 65ft.

Going out again tomorrow before he goes back down south, hopefully we keep the luck, lots of family with hands out and empty freezers and smokers....

Fished Secretary and Possession this evening. Lots of pinks off the tip of Secretary. Wasn't too bad keeping them off in closer. Got a 15ish Spring on the bottom rod (62 feet, 602 hoochie).

Bit of fog in the morning but otherwise very hot, windless, beautiful day out there today, so we put in a marathon from 7:00am until 4:00pm. Started at Otter and spent about 4 hours there at various depths, Tried anchovies, spoons and hootchies but only caught a couple of pinks and released several juvenile 1-2lb chinook. There were a lot out there of that size and we must have released more than a dozen today.

Gave up on Otter, as usual, and decided to troll with the very strong flood, right on the bottom back to the Bluffs. In 115' of water with rigger set over depth got a very tentative, timid hit on anchovy but I struck anyway, assuming it was another pink. The fish gave a strange heavy dragging fight until it surfaced where it appeared to be a chinook in the 10-12lb range and began to show its mettle with head shakes and plunges. Inevitably as we were about to net, it popped the hook with another head shake.

Spent the rest of the afternoon around Secretary and the Bluffs with no further excitement. Lots more shakers and a couple of pinks and that was it for the day. Fantastic weather though!

My young Nephew and his wife are out visiting from Alberta and we got them out on the boat today. Fished Possession to the Bluffs and released a bunch of smaller Chinook and unclipped Coho. MY nephew got his first Chinook, a nice 15lber on bait down 74 feet on the rigger. Sounds like he will be moving to BC in the Spring as the Manufacturing Shop where he works is closing down. The company is going to outsource all manufacturing, fabrication and assembly to China and Mexico but will keep there repair facilities in Alberta open. It is getting to the point where it seems like nothing will actually get made in Canada anymore. At least he will be able to get out fishing more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out for the night bite at the shack, shortly at the head, and into Beecher. Took out a good friend and his visiting father-in-law from Ontario. A beauty night, but amazingly quiet on the rods for us. A couple early long line releases, a couple shakers, then nothing. Eventually found a small hatch coho, and as later the sun went behind the hills, the shaker show began again. Must have released 10 of them. Not a single pink for us. What? Uses a variety of lures and anchovies at different depths.

Back at the cleaning table, others had had better luck, with several pink, and two Beauty Springs, one 16lbs and another 21lbs. Good on them!

Clearly not our night (blame the full moon), but I can't help but commiserate with Englishman in my inability to catch Spring. In 8 fishing days over the last month, we have managed 3 springs, the biggest 13lbs. Over the last 4 years learning to fish in Sooke, our largest caught was 18lbs, and that came in our first year. Beginners luck I guess. I know, I need to get out more, practice the anchovies rolls, and learn from others. The dream of catching a tyee, or even something like the beauty 21lber we saw at the table tonight, keeps me coming back for more. Just need to keep at it, but there won't be much more time this year for us, not until the coho run in the fall. Englishman, you are not alone! End rant.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

They are out there Adler. Just keep putting in your time. When we got back to the dock one boat was cleaning a 24 a 21 and a couple of teeners which they said they got at the Head and the Trap. Right now the bite seems to be coming on for the early tide change from the Ebb to the flood and then is rather dead for hours (for us anyway) with the massive fast flood until it slows down again in the later afternoon and a second bite comes on. We got ours at 3.45 pm when the long fast flood had slowed down sufficiently that we could go back to Chovies and not have them spinning super fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clearly not our night (blame the full moon), but I can't help but commiserate with Englishman in my inability to catch Spring. In 8 fishing days over the last month, we have managed 3 springs, the biggest 13lbs. Over the last 4 years learning to fish in Sooke, our largest caught was 18lbs, and that came in our first year. Beginners luck I guess. I know, I need to get out more, practice the anchovies rolls, and learn from others. The dream of catching a tyee, or even something like the beauty 21lber we saw at the table tonight, keeps me coming back for more. Just need to keep at it, but there won't be much more time this year for us, not until the coho run in the fall. Englishman, you are not alone! End rant.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Adler, I am glad I am not the only one struggling this year. I did have some success last year and got three in the low 20's (see old posts) and a couple of 19's. This year has been very slow compared to last and we have maxed out at 14lbs with the odd single fish here and there (except Derby day when we got two!) Like you I keep going though and perhaps one day a Tyee will come my way. A few seem to have come in this year so it is always possible.;)

Back