Sooke2015

Nice calm day so went down to Sheringham. Fished 6:30am until 12 noon there and then trolled with the tide past Muir to Otter. No springs at all. Just pinks and one hatchery coho.

On the run back came across a big herring ball just east of Otter and got a couple of decent scoops for the freezer. Enough for a lot of bait, smoking a batch or two and some fried up as well. Should be good…..:cool:

Nice calm day so went down to Sheringham. Fished 6:30am until 12 noon there and then trolled with the tide past Muir to Otter. No springs at all. Just pinks and one hatchery coho.

On the run back came across a big herring ball just east of Otter and got a couple of decent scoops for the freezer. Enough for a lot of bait, smoking a batch or two and some fried up as well. Should be good…..:cool:
English-how many inches were they?

Was out Friday, pretty slow but did manage to pick up one spring at Muir Creek on the way up to Sheringham, pinks were not as many as the Friday before, only went though 5 packs of bait yesterday! Hey Chris 73, nice work getting those young lad's out fishing, looks like you have them hooked! Hope they chip in for bait and gas!!

Attachments

• IMG_3051.jpg
    IMG_3051.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 908
Well it was a great week for me in Sooke. It was a "family" holiday so only got out every morning for 3-4 hours. Managed to pick up 4 nice springs, biggest was 16lbs, so nothing big, but did lose a couple of screamers so who knows...? Got a bunch of nice coho, but nothing over about 6lbs...and I'm just about ready to never catch another pink for the rest of my life. It's a beautiful part of BC you guys have down there, loved the visit and hope to be back in future years.

One of my Sitka spoons saw probably over 100 hookups and still looks almost new. Accounted for all 4 of my springs and plenty of coho and pinks. These are awesome for your way down there, although I haven't had great luck with them up here around Vancouver and over in the Gulf Islands.

2 small springs that went back , limit of pinks in 2'hours today between the head and the trap shack

Fished from 6 to 10 possession and secretary, picked up 3 small springs 6, 8 and 12. Released lots of coho and pinks. had one hatchery but once we determined that it was it spit the hook just before the net. The springs where full of herring(6 inch). Two of the springs we caught in 300 ft of water amongst the pinks and coho using hardware.

Was out Thursday and Friday.
Too many pinks, kept a couple for bbq, but they were small compared to ones I've caught in August.
6 Hatchery coho and 2 springs to 18 pounds.

Fished the afternoon at the trap and managed 2 in the 20's and released 2 teenagers ( no net used ) only caught a handful of pinks.

We have not found a Chinook bigger than the low 20's so far this year which is a nice fish but given the number I know of that have been caught to date in the 30 to 40lb range it would be nice to find something a little bigger although the number of truly big ones seems to be slowing down in the last week or so.

Fished the last 3 days and Friday managed to get a 15lb Chinook fishing shallow right beside one of the Secretary Kelp beds on white glow plastic and also a nice 5lb hatch Ho.

Sat. - lost two Chinook which looked to be in the upper teens just back of the boat about 12 feet out so nothing for us but some Pinks. One lost Chinook was off the rigger out front down 80 feet on white UV plastic and the other was interestingly, caught on a very large sky blue and pearl white Tomic Spoon fished out the back on a trip planer. Tried the very large Tomic with a huge hook to keep the pinks off but they liked it also.

Today managed 3 hatch Ho's and finally got into a double header of Chinooks out front down 70 and 80 feet also on plastic around 1:30 pm. Lost the bigger one; seems to be becoming a habit lately, but did get the 16 lber into the boat. We are fishing plastic a lot now after getting tired of feeding the Pinks Chovies and having to re bait it seems like every 5 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sun morning, 1st hit of the day 6:00am, Beachy head 34lbs, 69 ft on riggers, silver and pink atomic spoon with matching flasher.1012.jpg1030.jpg

Great Tyee Bloodbuggy. Looking for one like that should keep us adding more money to the local economy. Do you know the number of the spoon you caught it on? The one we have been using is the Tomic 6 inch 212 spoon (blue and pearl white) with the other side silver nickel. It looks like they make a glow version of it, the 639 spoon. Nice to see someone else likes these spoons and are catching Tyee on them.

http://tomiclure.com/recommended-colours/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Guys, guess the fish gods were looking out for us, Rockfish, thanks for posting the Tomic color chart, we will be picking up a few more of them for sure, they are a little bit more pricey then other spoons, but not much, we were using the # 156 with matching flasher.

Good bite out there this morning for us and it sounds like for others too. Bit of a sloppy ride in front of the bluffs with the shallow water, the current and wind but it flattened out the farther west you went. Many others turned back but we persisted and were rewarded with a 1 foot chop and a fast and furious bite. Ended up hitting 6 springs, landing 5 of them up to 23 1/2 pounds and heading back home by 9:30. Passed the whales just off Wells O'weary so the timing was perfect. Fish were shallow again today.

We have not found a Chinook bigger than the low 20's so far this year which is a nice fish but given the number I know of that have been caught to date in the 30 to 40lb range it would be nice to find something a little bigger although the number of truly big ones seems to be slowing down in the last week or so.

Fished the last 3 days and Friday managed to get a 15lb Chinook fishing shallow right beside one of the Secretary Kelp beds on white glow plastic and also a nice 5lb hatch Ho.

Sat. - lost two Chinook which looked to be in the upper teens just back of the boat about 12 feet out so nothing for us but some Pinks. One lost Chinook was off the rigger out front down 80 feet on white UV plastic and the other was interestingly, caught on a very large sky blue and pearl white Tomic Spoon fished out the back on a trip planer. Tried the very large Tomic with a huge hook to keep the pinks off but they liked it also.

Today managed 3 hatch Ho's and finally got into a double header of Chinooks out front down 70 and 80 feet also on plastic around 1:30 pm. Lost the bigger one; seems to be becoming a habit lately, but did get the 16 lber into the boat. We are fishing plastic a lot now after getting tired of feeding the Pinks Chovies and having to re bait it seems like every 5 minutes.

Started very early Sunday. We pulled pin at 1:00 we were right by you saw your boat along with Profisher and R.Chamberlain....Went out on Sunday and scratched a blank for springs...Pounded the trap and possession before going in... In tight out far... Just pinks...Was fairly slow. We were picking them up on sounder lots of fish and bait suspended but nothing biting...I don't think the multiple showing of whales helped..I heard it got better later in afternoon...

Great Tyee Bloodbuggy. Looking for one like that should keep us adding more money to the local economy. Do you know the number of the spoon you caught it on? The one we have been using is the Tomic 6 inch 212 spoon (blue and pearl white) with the other side silver nickel. It looks like they make a glow version of it, the 639 spoon. Nice to see someone else likes these spoons and are catching Tyee on them.

http://tomiclure.com/recommended-colours/

What is different between the Tomic # 212 and # 500 I though the # 500 is the best seller. I believe the # 639 and # 500 are the same colours but the #639 has glow

Back