Sooke2015

I don't use wire anymore. But when its working correctly it can give an advantage.. The advantage for me to braid was only its easier to use in the event of snap my changeover is fast. Esaier to tie dont need crimps...That is really only reason I went to it myself. I also found I spend more on it requiring more changeovers through seasons... I do agree with these statement made below on this forum way back ( where are you Trevor?)... Anyway sorry for derail I am sure we can have the ongoing braid v cable debate if its slow in winter! It has been on my mind lately of switching back though.;)

Quote from Trevor of No Bananas on past thread:

ya wire doesn't work i'm going to switch to.Not lol.

The braid and wire both catch fish the braid is more user friendly for sure.

Lets look at the sooke highliners just for example 1st one comes to mind is Gibby probably won more derbies than anyone on the coast he uses wire and swears by the black box,next would be Dave Kennedy he's won his fair share and uses wire,Karma won many derbs uses wire,
Wolfy he uses wire and has done good getting the odd biggie,Rollie uses wire.I'm not talkin about just catching fish i'm talkin about getting big fish over 35lbs consistantly.I bet if you did a servey 90% of the consistant guys getting big fish are using wire.

In reny i know a couple of the reg guys not guides who used to get a few over 40 every year they switched to braid and get just as many fish but not as many big one's one guy switched back this year and started getting bigger fish rite away.

I'm not saying wires the end all be all but thats just what i've noticed.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the guys mentioned in Trev's quote are or were guides except Dave and probably spend 5 -7 days a week on the water.Might have something to do with their big fish catch ratio.I know all of them,they and a few others have Sooke dialed in and are skilled at what they do.

Well everything is working well again, the 30lb spring i dredged out of the pinks at otter point this morning will testify.

Bigger fish has something to do with hours on the water for sure and so does pounding the know particular spots that often produce these fish. You can't move Gibby from the rock at the light on a derby weekend. I also put a lot of importance on the type of roll when using bait. I have over 35 springs over 40 in Sooke (1 over 50) and I noticed that the bigger fish prefer certain rolls that I play with. Not 100% but certain ones do a lot better. When the fishing is slow I run bait rolls that just produce fish and don't concern myself with putting out a big fish roll at all. There are reasons why a select few guys always seem to catch high 30's and 40 plus pound fish quite often.

Bigger fish has something to do with hours on the water for sure and so does pounding the know particular spots that often produce these fish. You can't move Gibby from the rock at the light on a derby weekend. I also put a lot of importance on the type of roll when using bait. I have over 35 springs over 40 in Sooke (1 over 50) and I noticed that the bigger fish prefer certain rolls that I play with. Not 100% but certain ones do a lot better. When the fishing is slow I run bait rolls that just produce fish and don't concern myself with putting out a big fish roll at all. There are reasons why a select few guys always seem to catch high 30's and 40 plus pound fish quite often.

Profisher, you certainly know how to depress a guy! LOL:)

There was I, thinking all I had to do was to "get the roll right" and I would be good. Now I learn I have to tune the roll to the size of fish I am after!!

I guess I will have to wait till I am reincarnated a second time. Not enough time left to learn everything needed in this lifetime that's for sure!!;)

Would it be correct to say that really big salmon:-

(1) prefer structure

(2) prefer big bait

(3) prefer long leaders with no flasher because a flasher will oftentimes spook the big ones

Would it be correct to say that really big salmon:-

(1) prefer structure

(2) prefer big bait

(3) prefer long leaders with no flasher because a flasher will oftentimes spook the big ones

Totally depends on where you are fishing!
There is not one simple answer to how to catch big salmon.
That's why the guys who have the experience have one leg up on the big ones, and tend to out fish fish most guys on most days in any area you care to mention.
Then comes along a guy who has never fished before, puts his flasher on backwards with a pink hootchie and gets a 40 pounder...go figure
that's my two cents worth.

S**t-house luck... Time on the water... Area... And knowing where to fish more than presentation IMO. But most importantly, just plain luck. Look at all the first-timers or casual anglers with huge fish, you hear about it all the time!

Makes me think about my recent experience: Was in haida gwaii off Langara a week ago, all by ourselves fishing one spot right at the crack of dawn, fish after fish. Guide saw us on a double header beforehand and came in, we went through a bait ball, got most of our leaders tangled... He came in for a pass right after us and picked up a 51 lb'er, biggest so far this season... That's just how it goes. I do wish they had released it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty good day today. Three springs in the first 2 passes then pinked to death with a few wild coho and sockeye thrown in for good measure. Had to move ended up down at Otter and hit 2 more springs landing one while the whales were passing by, lost the other close to the boat. Largest was 23 pounds. A shot of the sunset last night from the park across from my home.

Yes have to admit one of the best days in sooke in a long time ...today everything lined up great got 6 springs landed to boat lost a few and released 4 the Andrew P spoon landed 4 springs today...thing is awesome becoming my fav go to. Im trying this new flasher that Trotac marine had made up. im pairing with the spoon can tell you its my shallow rod and a 44 inch leader seems to be a deadly combo... biggest was 21 lbs

Attachments

• image011.jpg
    image011.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 1,147
LOL LOL
YES i do use wire and always will LOL
another good day again today took out next door neighbor for helping me and his kid got 2 springs a 16 and a 14 lber and tired arms LOL LOL
water was ok actually for the wind in am
One thing thats really nice seems water has cleared up ALOT its got that nice blue green color back...

Good luck Wolf

Out today at Cheanuh, a bit windy but warm. Fished Beecher Bay, too rough at the Head. Humpy fest, picked up a hatchery coho, released a lovely 7-8 lb un clipped. :(
Didn't need bait, fished 7:30- 11:30. used spoons, had a blast!! kept a few pinks. Last chance around Fraser, hubby picked up a scrappy 16 lber to finish the day! plugging in the smoker tomorrow. ymmmm, smoked spring....Xena

Fished from 7:00am until 1:00pm. Flat calm. Sure were a lot of boats out there today, which we observed in great fleets as we cruised the Bluffs, Possession, the Trap, Beechy and Aldridge.

Too many pinks to count and it did not matter whether you used a lure or bait, the pink grabbed it.

We did get one hit, surprisingly on a pink hootchie again, which was definitely not a pink. Ran for 30 seconds and came off before we saw it . So no chinooks for us!

Some water fell from the sky today…..I think I remember it is called rain…..LOL:)

I packed it in when I caught a pink on a 5" cop car at 125. Like you are being stalked.

Sent from my iPhone

Back