Sooke2015

View attachment 18950

Started at 8 and quit by noon. Lots of pinks early and then the springs moved in later. 4 springs up to 21lb, 1 coho and 9 pinks. All caught old school (Peetz rods and 2 lb balls).

Love the "Old School", that dam 2lb ball. I think, I will give it a shot this year some time. Sure will bring back alot of old good memories. Now try and find that Peetz in the garage. LOL !!!!

OK Profisher. Now it's TWO 30's on a single trip. What can I say..........except.....totally awesome!!:cool::eek:

Tailspin cranked in a 39lb today saw it posted on wiseguys fb page... I cant get over how many fish we are seeing 30 and 40lb mark awesome fishing right now.

Had another good day yesterday off the trap shack.
Tons of pink (most released), a couple of coho (all released) and one nice 22.5lb chinook.
Anchovies in a bloody nose teaser JDF teaser head and the Andrew P spoon in plain silver were the hot tickets for us.
Depths ranged from 60' to 35'.

We fished Becher Bay today for 3 springs and 1 coho. It was too rough to go past Aldridge for us but the home tack had some fish.
Bloody nose head was working up shallow.

T2

Last edited by a moderator:
Saturday rode the ebb from church rock to secretary reeled in and went up to otter and muir. 5 pinks and 1 8 lb chinook - all depths and gear. Yesterday launched at Pedder and fished inside the bay where the wind was less of a factor. Pinks and a 22 # chinook. spoons at 35 to 40 feet in 50-70 feet of water.

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 730
Where are all these big guys headed?

Big Spring ........? Or the Hottie .........? Both look good congrats all round !

Either one could keep me happy, both would be a bit greedy, don't you think
No wonder his handle is "tailspin"
Great day, Great catch and a Great fishing partner.
I've had a few of those over the years, albeit now with a little older fishing partner....
well done Tailspin and thanks for the post

I think the guy in the white t-shirt in that other boat would like to know what lure you were using......:rolleyes:

Hi All,

New to the forum, been fishing off sooke for a while. Mostly Otter and Possession

Just painted and re-zinced the boat after a while trying to get the boat fishing right again. Been getting light hits until we changed the leads back to the old ones. after that hooked into a 20. Are there still lots of high 20's -30's being caught off possession, I see loads coming in from trap shack...

Interesting story regarding getting hits after " changing out the leads to the old ones", what do you mean by this?

Also so good to see all the great reports coming in from sooke. Tempting to get the boat over there.

Interesting story regarding getting hits after " changing out the leads to the old ones", what do you mean by this?

Any change to the metallic structures of the boat can change the electrolysis profile. The old downrigger leads were a bit corroded so they are unable to react with seawater as quickly, as there is a corrosion layer electrically insulating it.

After the change, I noticed the fish were biting a bit harder and were less likely to shake the hooks.

It was a frustrating few weeks of trying all kinds of black box settings until we did the lead change.

After using wire for over 30 years and always wondering if the black box was working properly,zincs clean etc. I changed to braid 5 years ago.Will never go back,it seems to last forever ,fish seem to like it,no worries.Now I can concentrate on the other 100's of variables that affect how many I catch.

I to believe in the how electrolysis can effect how your boat fishes. However the fish I've hooked into lately have also not been hitting very hard. 32 and 30 pounders not coming off the clip for quite some time. I think that has more to do with the whales being around so much and the fish are a bit skittish and not that aggressive right now.

Other night I had a 18lb spring porpoise towards the boat on the surface at full speed. I quickly raised my gear to 20 feet and BAM! Gear got hammered hard. Fish pretty much swallowed the Chovy! Never had a fish so keen to get caught!

Back