Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

This morning started a bit slow for the first 45 minutes or so then we got into steady coho action. Finally some scrappy coho too. All for the most part fought hard with some getting aerial. Kept 6 coho (3 wild - 3 hatch) up to 12 pounds and a 9 pound chum. Caught the chum on the deep rigger as I we were playing a coho on another rod with the kicker just in gear but no speed. Had to release the biggest coho I've had up to the boat so far this fall. About 14 pounds. Took the camera out of it case this morning too.
coho-1.jpg

early.jpg

whales.jpg

For the guys around Pedder Bay, Church etc.

What depths are you catching coho? I've been told anywhere from 35 - 125 in 300 feet or so?

A bit slower this morning. Was letting 6 -7 pound wilds go first thing then wished i had kept one of them. Only found 1 hatchery. Another mammal show today.
humpback.jpg

tail.jpg

fished in 500ft of water depth from top line to 100 ft, one un clipped 7 pounds (60ft), one un clipped 5 pounds(90ft), lost a couple before we saw them, coho killer and anchovy, tried for another two hours to get another. Sure was rough down by Secretary. motored up to Beechey and much calmer. great to be on the water!! Xena

Pulled out to do a cleanup and maintenance....oil change/grease. May keep the boat on the trailer and dump in for trips, or if bookings pick up put it back in for a bit longer. Usually take it out on the 20th of the month and work off the trailer for the winter any way. I sleep soundly in the winter when its blowing 60 knots and the boat is just outside the bedroom window in the driveway. No calls in the middle of the night about someone else s boat coming loose and crashing into mine all night. Also theft seems more prevalent in the winter when there are few eyes around watching people coming and going.

Nice picks Profisher. We got in to 2 nice wilds today and released 2 more searching for some hatchery. Only sign of a hatch was lost at the boat near beachy around 1.

Yeah was bouncing good at secretary for an hour or so, tested the windshield wiper which I haven't had to use this year... and we too motored down to beachy and waves were gone.

Weather is unbelievable so hard to not stay out until dark.

ah, I gotcha. At least theres a few live aboards at the dock (unless I have you mistaken) which should help keep the low lifes away :)

But I guess we should keep this topic to fishing reports. Im planing on heading out this weekend, possibly monday or tuesday morning. From what I hear, 400ish ft of water, one line chov and one line coho killer. Ill report any luck when I get back.

Took some newbie’s out yesterday for their first salmon fish ever. Off beechey 400-500 ft. dropped the lines and as our guests were taking pics of the pink sunrise coming up both lines went off! Two hatcheries in the boat 30ft glow hoochie and 85ft Coyote 5.0 green and chrome. Took pics, did a dance, dropped the lines and it happened again with a wild and a hatch. Our friends were pumped! Then we didn't have a hit for an hour or so then around 930 we got into them again. Most hits were on the spoon deep 80ish feet. Released a barely legal spring, Left with 7 coho, 4 wild 3 hatch all around 7-8lb and one beauty 14lb. Would have loved to stay longer but when the wind picked up we had a girl on the boat that went a weird shade of green. The rookies did great on the rods and are now hooked! Back at home having drinks around the filleting table by noon. Great day. To top it off, a huge humpback cruised by us and put on a show heading east. Probably the same one Profisher posted?

Hey,
Looking to go fishing on Tuesday but I'm reading some conflicting marine weather reports. Big Wave Dave is calling for 15-20knt winds thoughtout most of the day but the BC marine weather is calling for light winds.
Any suggestions which one tends to be more accurate for Sooke.
Thanks in advance,
Dave

Great day fished 7-1. 6 keepers between the two of us 2 wild both about 10lbs and 4 hatch 4-8lbs. Released some other wilds. Saw the whale and hit fish right beside it. Hits were spread out a little and it took awhile for us to get the first one.

Hey,
Looking to go fishing on Tuesday but I'm reading some conflicting marine weather reports. Big Wave Dave is calling for 15-20knt winds thoughtout most of the day but the BC marine weather is calling for light winds.
Any suggestions which one tends to be more accurate for Sooke.
Thanks in advance,
Dave

I find the USA Marine report works best with more detail.
PZZ131-080645-
CENTRAL U.S. WATERS STRAIT OF JUAN DE FUCA-
240 PM PDT SUN OCT 7 2012

.TONIGHT...E WIND TO 10 KT. WIND WAVES 1 FT OR LESS.
.MON...LIGHT WIND BECOMING W 10 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 1
FT OR LESS.
.MON NIGHT...W WIND TO 10 KT RISING TO 10 TO 20 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT.
WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT. AREAS OF FOG AFTER MIDNIGHT.
.TUE...W WIND 5 TO 15 KT RISING TO 10 TO 20 KT IN THE AFTERNOON.
WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT.
.TUE NIGHT...W WIND 15 TO 25 KT EASING TO 10 TO 20 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT.
WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT.
.WED...W WIND 10 TO 20 KT EASING TO 5 TO 15 KT IN THE AFTERNOON.
WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT.
.WED NIGHT...W WIND 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS.
.THU...LIGHT WIND. WIND WAVES LESS THAN 1 FT.
.FRI...W WIND 10 KT. WIND WAVES 1 FT OR LESS.

PZZ132-080645-
EAST ENTRANCE U.S. WATERS STRAIT OF JUAN DE FUCA-
240 PM PDT SUN OCT 7 2012

.TONIGHT...NW WIND TO 10 KT. WIND WAVES 1 FT OR LESS.
.MON...LIGHT WIND. WIND WAVES LESS THAN 1 FT.
.MON NIGHT...LIGHT WIND BECOMING W 10 TO 20 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT.
WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT. AREAS OF FOG AFTER MIDNIGHT.
.TUE...W WIND 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS.
.TUE NIGHT...W WIND 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT.
.WED...W WIND 10 TO 20 KT EASING TO 5 TO 15 KT IN THE AFTERNOON.
WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT.
.WED NIGHT...W WIND TO 10 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS.
.THU...LIGHT WIND. WIND WAVES LESS THAN 1 FT.
.FRI...SE WIND 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is the one i use the most:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=sew&smap=1&textField1=48.07972&textField2=-123.10056

over and down on the right hand side is a scrollable map. move the cursor where you want it and click for the marine weather forecast.

this is a 'pin point' forecast so it tends to be way more specific than the general stuff you read for the strait. that said, if i am planning a trip, i start looking at this a couple of days ahead of time to see what the trend looks like.

Up late today and so did not get out till 11:45, just as everyone was leaving. Soon found out why! Very strong East wind (waay stronger than BWD's 5K forecast for noon) made for short pounding chop. Boat was "crabbing" all over the place in the wind and chop at trolling speeds and my Lowrance was giving funny readings owing to the chop, especially when headed into the waves. Stuck it out for two hours, got one hit which we missed and then came in. Gonna try tomorrow morning (must remember to get up LOL) and hope BWD's 0-5K forecast is a lot more accurate than it was today!!
(Saw the humpback reported by others. Went on a nice dive and showed his big tail fluke as he went down.)

High we got into a few beauties of hook nose 12 ish lb males and put up a great fight even jumping for us Guests left with some very nice fish was/am finding shallow in the morning and deeper later did notice coming in coho were jumping all over the place in the 60 ft level in front of the harbour.
It was consistant all day for us. you know where I was LOL LOL
even if I dont LOL LOL

Roland didnt you look at the latest reports before you came out on BWD???? it updates every hour or so you would have seen it was rough???
that wind thing is only a prediction. dont blame that on him LOL LOL

Up late today and so did not get out till 11:45, just as everyone was leaving. Soon found out why! Very strong East wind (waay stronger than BWD's 5K forecast for noon) made for short pounding chop. Boat was "crabbing" all over the place in the wind and chop at trolling speeds and my Lowrance was giving funny readings owing to the chop, especially when headed into the waves. Stuck it out for two hours, got one hit which we missed and then came in. Gonna try tomorrow morning (must remember to get up LOL) and hope BWD's 0-5K ! Try fishing (Try fishing117 feet with spoons boated four nice winters mmmm and a bunch of coho winters 7 to 12 lb ,same size for coho with hatchery on small side and did scoop up a net full of big herring too to top it off all fish off the head 450 to 600 feet the springs in 450 to 400 feet ] Goodluck boomer

out in father in laws boat, off Secretary 400-500ft of water, first thing- putting out anchovy on the rigger to 60 ft, rod started bobbing at 30 realized had a fish on! boated my one wild in 2 minutes. hubby put his line down to 30 and got his wild 5 minutes later. father in law got a hatchery a few minutes later, then another hatchery then the last wild. his hatchery and wild were the biggest at 8, 9 10.5 pounds. He had the biggest smile! done in one hour, back home for some afternoon bevvy's! what a great Thanksgiving!! Xena...........

Back