Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

LOL!
This outa be good. DFO has conflicting info on their site.
Depends where you look.
Print out Trendsetters map regs above and keep it on board.
I was told on the phone last week that it was going to be 3 and 1... but have my doubts.

Tips

Just got off the phone with DFO.
They have made a mistake in not updating a portion of their website.
The portion of website that says 1 wild/ 1 hatch total 2 will be corrected.

The Oct. 1 ruling is 1 wild/ 3 hatchery this year.

There is a fisheries notice available.
It is on website and copy is being e-mailed to me shortly.

Have at er!

Tips

FISHERIES AND OCEANS CANADA
FISHERY NOTICE
Subject: FN0448
Recreational Wild Coho Salmon Area 19, portion of Area 20-1, 20-3 to 20-7
Area 19
Effective 00:01 hours Monday, October 1, 2012 and until 23:59 hours December 31, 2012 in Area 19 you may retain two (2) Coho per day, one (1) of which may be wild (unmarked).
Area 20-1,20-3 to 20-7
Effective 00:01 hours Monday October 1, 2012 until 23:59 hours December 31, 2012 in that portion of Subareas 20-1 (seaward of a line between a square white boundary sign at Owen Point, the Port San Juan Light and Whistle Buoy, and San Juan Point) and Subareas 20-3 to 20-7, you may retain four (4) Coho per day, one (1) of which may be wild (unmarked).
Variation Order: 2012-286
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Contact the Victoria Fisheries & Oceans Canada Office
250-363-3252
To Report a Fishing Violation please call our
Toll Free Line Observe, Record, Report Line @ 1-800-465-4336
Please visit our Recreational Fishing Website at: www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish, or call your local Fisheries & Oceans office for information and updates

Just got off the phone with DFO.
They have made a mistake in not updating a portion of their website.
The portion of website that says 1 wild/ 1 hatch total 2 will be corrected.

The Oct. 1 ruling is 1 wild/ 3 hatchery this year.

There is a fisheries notice available.
It is on website and copy is being e-mailed to me shortly.

Have at er!

Tips

Thanks for the clarification Tips.

This reg is in fact the same as last year. Makes sense this year as there are so many hatchery marked fish around. Last year we only caught one hatchery fish in four trips in the month of October.....so I don't think the reg worked at all vis-a-vis the discussion earlier in this thread......

I stand corrected, trendsetter is right. I just got word from our SFAB chair that area 19 is 1 of 2 and area 20 is 1 of 4.

and I refer back to start sifting through 50 to find 3 now...weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :mad:

I think this is crap given the #'s of clipped actually out there even if it does mean I 'could' 'potentially' take home 4 fish, but whatever.

Should have stayed 1 1 purely on what is out there right now.

First 2 to the boat yesterday were hatchery for us. = )
Then back to wilds. Pretty spread out yesterday. Got fish from 65-125 ft. No consistancy. Got one here/ one there.

How did you do today High Five? Didn't you say you were taking the day off?

Out 11:30-1:00, sure got bumpy fast! picked up beauty 13 pounder half hour in...(non-clipped) then a 5 pounder(non-clipped) got our two and headed in! great to be on the water and be able to keep what we caught! Xena

The answer is quite simple. First we need to find a way to change the "general revenue rules" and get sport license and stamp revenues out of that cesspool. We need to stress that we want that revenue out of there so we can substantially raise license fee. A license hike would be accepted by the majority of sports anglers if they knew with 100% certainty that all the revenues were going back into such things as.....marking every hatchery salmon produced in B.C. Only then will this clipped fishery work at giving us enough opportunities and to truly protect real wild stocks so they can recover.

Most guys will be fishing West of Sheringham in Sooke and inside the bouy at Renny anyways. LOL!

Tips
Carefull we still need 20-2 off the radar.. in Sooke talk like that would only attract a rat ;)

Fished off the head, fishing is slow. But picked up a real nice 11 pound coho. Released a nice 6 or 7 pounder. Three shakers. Lost one. Drizzly rain then sun

Great day out there today. Dropped in at 9am at Beechy and got into lots of action by 1pm mostly 300-450 ft water. 11.5 wild was the catch of the day. all fish hit good and swam hard, most with acrobatic finish then straight into the net. missed quite a few on single hook and lots of hit and runs. anchovy outperformed for us to today as I too had some old bait to use up. been hearing good things on green combo hootchie's but notta for us today.

Fished from 8 till 4 trying for one last big spring! No go today managed 4 wilds 8 to 10 lbs and 2 hatchery 5 to 8 lbs all fish taken on coho killer "Irish cream" probably take one more kick at it this week then put it away till January. Had a awesome day with my best bud ,good luck everybody

I figeur most of those Coho are U.S. hatchery,clipped or unclipped. That's why 47% of them are just out there for a free ride, and don't know how to put up a fight and could care less about contributing anything to support other's. 47% just want to hang out,eat, get fat, not fight or run when hooked, and wait around til" they get laid then go to sleep.

well then, just stop fishing for 'our' fish, simple solution.

actually september has been silly stupid easy bringing home clipped Coho. when Oct 1st came in, we can now keep clipped and nonclippe. 1.5 -2,0 hours is all it takes for a boat limit. if you folks would stop sounding like a bunch of old women chatting on the VHF and concentrate on fishing, you might also be home in time for breakfast.

Back