Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Genetic dilution = lack of vigour or lethargy. The consequence of inbreeding.

That's my guess if I had to bet on it.

I, too, remember the Coho of the 70's fishing the Gap & Salmon Rock near Gibson's with a live Herring a 1-oz. weight and 8-lb. test leader.
Man-o-man, I recall 5-lb'ers taking me 15-mins to get into the boat, jumping and running like crazy. Pound per pound, likely the feistiest fish I ever caught. Not sure what's going on these days.

Inbreeding and genetic dilution is serious **** and is the main reason many are against the proliferation of hatcheries.

Case in point: I've also seen it with Ferrets; I used to breed them (not literally, I'd just watch...) Over the last couple of decades the Ferret-mills have been mass breeding Ferrets for the pet industry while selecting for various colour enhancements. Wild European Ferrets are a blend of natural sable colours while today you can buy them in pet shops in a myriad of colours. Grotesque in my humble opinion.

These colour enhancements also come at a price. Selective inbreeding has dramatically reduced the vigour & vitality of domestic Ferrets. Compared to wild Ferrets - capable of snatching a bird on the wing 2-ft off the ground - today's pet-shop clowns are dozy, clumsy creatures that have not a fraction of the spirit of their wild counterparts.

Dozy fish & dozy Ferrets.

Could there be a connection here?

Back to fishing reports.

How often do you fish coho with a 1oz wt and 8 lb test now?? I used to spin herring we raked in the wake back in the 80's but my gear was way lighter than it is today-so that is some of it.LOL

Buck tailing in Campbell river 20 years ago with fly rod loaded with 8lb mono :D

I actually still have that set up but highly doubt it would work down here.

OMG, stop the whining guys. Everything was bigger, stronger and better way back in the times! The women used to scream louder, the beer was tastier and the cars prettier.

There is nothing wrong with the cohos and they are not impacted by inbreeding. They too have days when not as athletic or energetic like anyone of us. Adjust your gear, use trip-flashers or none at all and save your whining energy for bugging the politicians!

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG, stop the whining guys. Everything was bigger, stronger and better way back in the times! The women used to scream louder, the beer was tastier and the cars prettier.

There is nothing wrong with the cohos and they are not impacted by inbreeding. They too have days when not as athletic or energetic like anyone of us. Adjust your gear, use trip-flashers or none at all and save your whining energy for bugging the politicians!
My feeling is you are pretty much right on Chris
Some people go thru their whole life whining about one thing or another and some, certainly NOT ALL, are on this site.
For me, Fish Farms are an exception though...my passion is to see them on dry ground with fully filtered water only returned to the ocean!

This will go down as the year of the WHINERS.. OOH you cut the corner at Otter and Possesion. O-ya you came to close when i had a fish on. O-ya you came in to fast to the marina. Now its the coho don't fight. I think someone got it right that using meat sticks with 30# mono and a flasher OOH what a great fight that will be. Try fly rods and trout rods with dummy flashers. Years ago the coho were in trouble, now there have been coho all summer. Maybe try and go fishing and enjoy what we have..

I noticed that schools of coho are at very deep 50 ft and down to 200 ft. Why is that? In old days, I caught coho at 5 ft or 15 ft. Lack of feed on surface?

Right on Chris Sounds like whinning is the Provincal pastime around here. We NEED to be more aggressive with our goverment to get the fishery back on track and stop accepting the ******** that they keep feeding us.

Got to challenge you on this one Chris:)

Of course we should all be pestering our Government to protect wild salmon habitat. But that is exactly the point.

Wild Hawk has a very valid point that inbreeding may well be affecting the coho, because there is masses of scientific evidence out there that shows that fish hatcheries DO dilute genetic diversity and reproductive fitness. Here are just a few; there are plenty more out there for the “unbelievers” to read.

http://www.nwfsc.noaa.gov/resources/salmonhatchery/risks.cfm
http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/f91-311
http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20070904210557data_trunc_sys.shtml
http://fish.washington.edu/research/publications/ms_phd/Eldridge_W_PhD_Su07.pdf
http://www.grca.on.ca/downloads/fisheries/Hatchery Bibliography_Final.pdf

So we need to be lobbying our government NOT for more hatcheries, but to PROTECT THE HABITAT OF WILD SALMON. That is why is so important to get fish feed lots out of the ocean and to get the conservatives out after their cynical gutting of the Fisheries Act.

Fins n Skins
I have also found that I'm fishing deeper and deeper every year. Years ago we all fished at shallower depths (35-50') for Springs and Coho, as time went on and gear got better, technology got more advanced and boats and motors bigger and faster everyone has become better at catching fish.

My opinion is that we ( Rec and Com fishing) have all made a big impacted on the shallow swimming fish schools and those shallow swimming fish are some of the fish not returning to spawn which is driving the return numbers down. That not to say there are still not fish swimming shallow but my shallow running gear only catches fish 10% of the time now, when five years ago it was catching 20%+.

Or maybe global warming???

Only the fish know but I'm fishing deeper and my sonar is usually showing fish deep.

I think someone got it right that using meat sticks with 30# mono and a flasher OOH what a great fight that will be. Try fly rods and trout rods with dummy flashers.

Exactly, how hard do you expect a 6lb fish to fight on a meat stick from 100' down - with the boat in gear no doubt as well? Bring out the light rods and mini flashers and you'll have a blast, fall coho fishing is my favorite time to fish.

I don't consider it whining, I call it just stating a fact. I ran 7 foot trout rods today which I have fished at times over the years with a 49 pound spring being the largest taken on them. 15 pound main and a 20 pound leader, no flasher just a teaser head and anchovy. All but one today swam at the boat with the guy on the rod saying each time I lost its gone...nope still there just swimming along no resistance. Again just the last minute twirl at the boat making it hard to determine whether it was wild or not. Had 3 wild today that were over 12 pounds. 60 to 100 feet all on bait. went through 4 - 10 packs for 6 hours fishing.

Fished 5 hours today 7:00-12:00, 5 Wild Coho, 1 Hatchery, Couple pin poppers and lots of mangled bait / bites. Great day on the water. All fish were caught on bait, Gear produced nothing. All fish between 50-75ft.

Lippy..forgot to mention that the trip was a freebee...winners from he 2011 Pink Salmon Festival raffle. I charge enough so that I can afford to do these types of things. lol ;) And yes it was another grand weather and calm sea day. BTW the bait was also left overs from 2011 so I have to use it up or by next year it won't even be good enough to feed the gulls with. That was the last of it, now down to one case of the fresh stuff left.

What a beautiful day to be on the water off Otter Pt. today!!!
Fished dummy flashers and bait (with a small single hook) on one side, spoon on the other 70 and 90'
Lots of action.
One hatchery Spring about 8 pounds and a couple of marked coho just a little smaller.
Released quite a few nice size non marked coho, but nothing over 10 pounds.

Was a guest on brother-in-laws boat today off Sooke.
HOLY FOG!!! We thought we were alone off Donaldson until the sun burnt thru and showed us the 40 or so boats out there!
Enough action to keep us interested and 1 hatchery 'ho for supper.

Early in the day we were laughing about those who have been complaining about the cohos not putting up a fight, then we experienced it ourselves. Not one of them put up any fight at all, even the one that popped the pin! Weird.
So, I am not complaining, but commenting ;-)
Great practice opp for the kid to do gaff hook releases.

Brown's Bay next weekend - fingers crossed for some early chum or late hos/springs.

Smiley.

Back