Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Weekend Report, started at 5.00 on Saturday, putted out of the Harbour and went to go on plane and the Main overheated, Grrrrr. Fluck, after messing around back to the Dock on the Kicker. Off to Sidney to get the Bros ride, splashed it and started fishing about 11.30 out west , quiet until two quick hits about 2.30, one stuck , netted and killed a 24 Lbs. Red. Bloody Nose, red Glow Flasher 70 Ft. Sunday still on the Bros. ride, early Morning start, beautiful ride out west.. Hit a Bite from 6.30 to 8.00, 5 teenagers to the boat, released 4, killed a 19Lbs Red. Missed 3 hits , glow Gear again,all in all a good Day, No 1 son reeled in the 19 and won a prize in the Derby:). Hopefully the Mains not cooked or the Season is over:(. Good Weekend Driller

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the front yard posession?

I would consider that the front yard but there wasn't much going on there today... could change tomorrow. :cool:

We hit that same bite this morning.. 4 to the boat by 8am. Kept three high teens-20's released a smaller one.. then bite went dry for us. 12:00 trolled it down, just before packing up center rod goes off and we land our fourth another in the 20's for our limit. 2 whites, 2 reds.

Seems like the fish are movin around frequnetly...one day otter was hot, then the next day i went there it was dead and it was good at posession....painful!!!! Il be out tuesday and wednesday, then flying out east for 3 weeks!!! Hoping to get a decent fish before i leave!!!il be back sept 8, is tbe fishing still ok around then in sooke???

Seems like the fish are movin around frequnetly...one day otter was hot, then the next day i went there it was dead and it was good at posession....painful!!!! Il be out tuesday and wednesday, then flying out east for 3 weeks!!! Hoping to get a decent fish before i leave!!!il be back sept 8, is tbe fishing still ok around then in sooke???
Some of the biggest fish I have caught in Sooke have been in September, although the last couple of years I havent done so well. Its always worth a shot Driller

You went too far English ;). The front yard was pretty good today.

Quite possibly Lippy. I'm probably always in the wrong place at the wrong time.

On the other hand drilleryells appears to have had a great day out west today. Course he does not define "west". Maybe Sheringham was just not west enough!!:D

Weekend Report, started at 5.00 on Saturday, putted out of the Harbour and went to go on plane and the Main overheated, Grrrrr. Fluck, after messing around back to the Dock on the Kicker. Off to Sidney to get the Bros ride, splashed it and started fishing about 11.30 out west , quiet until two quick hits about 2.30, one stuck , netted and killed a 24 Lbs. Red. Bloody Nose, red Glow Flasher 70 Ft. Sunday still on the Bros. ride, early Morning start, beautiful ride out west.. Hit a Bite from 6.30 to 8.00, 5 teenagers to the boat, released 4, killed a 19Lbs Red. Missed 3 hits , glow Gear again,all in all a good Day, No 1 son reeled in the 19 and won a prize in the Derby:). Hopefully the Mains not cooked or the Season is over:(. Good Weekend Driller
Great week-end for you driller! (except for boat issues :() 5 fish in 90 minutes is remarkable !!! Only time I have ever had more than one teen to the boat is winter. Summer fishing is not my scene it appears.

Quite possibly Lippy. I'm probably always in the wrong place at the wrong time.

On the other hand drilleryells appears to have had a great day out west today. Course he does not define "west". Maybe Sheringham was just not west enough!!:D

We were between you and Muir, Derby Boundary was Sheringham, Driller

Hey Pro i was the other boat beside you and i was yelling at you guys that Mr Sealion was bearing down on you. I was on the radio channel 68 i guess you did not hear me or didn't have your radio on. The look on your and Kens face was priceless, i like Ken holding the net thinking he was going to net your fish.. Not.. Wow it really went off there yesterday..

Trolled in front of Church Saturday morning nose into the tide. We were actually going backwards towards Race but managed two fish in the first hour there. One 22lb on a red glow flasher with a glow teaser head at 71 feet. The other was a 15 lb White Spring caught at 55 feet on a red glow flasher with purple haze teaser head. Both fish were screamers. Later we moved over to the Shack and hit another spring around 8 lbs. The rest of the day was spent releasing smaller fish from shaker size to 7 ish pounds. Couldn't find another decent fish but it was still a really good day.

Nice to see the derby guys pack it in early, after that pretty much had the place to ourselves. Put some time in on bottom fishing..son lands a 20lb ling.Took the high road back,trolling east ran into a pack of socks,catch & release.. I suspect DFO has lost the calculator = :( Bonanza bite goes on for better part of an hour, then the springs that are mixed in start to bite... See my parking buddy out for the evening bite, time to return the favour for my parking spot. My intell puts him on the spot,his reward is a double header..with the sun starting to set we make are way home with a smiley :)
p.s fish were deep 90' - biting on everything incuding the kitchen sink ;)

Fins-n-skins..we never heard you at all and unfortunately my radio is set to another channel. We had no idea the Sealion was around until he popped up with the fish. Too late by then. I'm sure all we were going to get back on that one close call with the net were some salmon chunks.

Hey ProFisher I read you have no bookings until September? Weird to be so open during the best fishing of the year. Maybe you should try a groupon? LoL.

Damn shame I missed the derby this weekend was out on Friday and there was a great bite on out there I'm sure some people did really well over the weekend.

p.s fish were deep 90' - biting on everything incuding the kitchen sink ;)

Good job Sammyslabber. You and some other folks have been doing real well. Unfortunately, for some, such as me and Sudsy, we have been singularly unsuccessful and not seen a chinook. But maybe we two are the only ones not too proud to admit total failure...LOL:D

Good job Sammyslabber. You and some other folks have been doing real well. Unfortunately, for some, such as me and Sudsy, we have been singularly unsuccessful and not seen a chinook. But maybe we two are the only ones not too proud to admit total failure...LOL:D
. This time of year use beatsy flasher with gold head ,purple gold ,or bloody nose and purple gold flasher had 9 hits with three in the boat the on Saturday in five hours ,the fish were smashing above the head . Goodluck boomer all fish at75 to 90 one side at 75 and the other. At 90feet I hope this helps Englishman only fish otter on a flood,trap on ebb,

Well,

Holidays are over...Went out today holy cow....Seriously thick fog almost too much this morning....Started out possession nothing but weeds and little springs. Moved to east side otter, and wind blew in. Not my day nothing to show. Couldn't venture farther west. Oh well had a good three days., First skunk in a while....Hard to fish with wind/fog coming at you.... I think it was just the weird angle of the wind at wsw...Made fishing tough...

Had a fun time lumpy time on way back seeing what my boat could handle. I love Double Eagles...next boat is either a 20 foot Hourston or double eagle. Just love how much they can handle in the chop. Wicked day. Hey guys what was all the bait balls..There were so many today?

High Five

My DE 16 amazes me as well. A great boat. When I get a bigger one (won't be for a while) I'm looking at 20 feet and aluminum. No maintenance and tough as nails. With the right amount of deadrise and weight, decent ride as well.

Lol i think we have just been picking bad days/ times/ places to fish!!! Seems like when i have been going out, i always go to the spot where the fish were hot the day before and have moved on,...have yet to experience a bite, have seen maybe 3 fish caught around me all year, but to be honest i havent put the hours out there, got 2 days off before i leave for 3 weeks, wednesdays looking good for wind, il keep my fingers crossed, i have been using all the right things, just havent gotten into them like others on here.,..oh and i know how to fish! Roll bait, fish gear etc! All about right time, right place!

Lol i think we have just been picking bad days/ times/ places to fish!!! Seems like when i have been going out, i always go to the spot where the fish were hot the day before and have moved on,...have yet to experience a bite, have seen maybe 3 fish caught around me all year, but to be honest i havent put the hours out there, got 2 days off before i leave for 3 weeks, wednesdays looking good for wind, il keep my fingers crossed, i have been using all the right things, just havent gotten into them like others on here.,..oh and i know how to fish! Roll bait, fish gear etc! All about right time, right place!

Yup, same here Sudsy, not seen too many caught either. So at least I have not been in the situation of watching them come in all around and nothing doing on my gear (yet!). I am not sure in my own case I have the roll totally right, although I did get three decent fish last year. But I agree the biggest factor is probably time/location.
So good luck with your choice of spots this week!! (I may be out Thur or Fri too......)

. This time of year use beatsy flasher with gold head ,purple gold ,or bloody nose and purple gold flasher had 9 hits with three in the boat the on Saturday in five hours ,the fish were smashing above the head . Goodluck boomer all fish at75 to 90 one side at 75 and the other. At 90feet I hope this helps Englishman only fish otter on a flood,trap on ebb,

Thx Boomer. I have used Betsy flashers before but recently been using green/glo and rainbow kinds which worked in the winter. Perhaps I have stuck with them too long!:eek:
I have tried bloody nose and green/gold heads but never had a touch on those so I keep going back to purple haze (jellyfish) which is the only one that ever worked for me (last year) and yes I am usually at 85 feet. Maybe I need a bit more patience with the different heads....:)

Took the kids out for a spin today... Waited for the wife to head to work then woke the boys and headed out. It was a little sloppy and a little difficult to run the boat by myself so I just dropped one rod in the front yard @ 10.... by 10:15 had a fish that would have had me around 20th yesterday.... Damnit :D Fished for another 30 mins and headed back.

The rest of the day at the pot holes :cool:

IMAG0337.jpg

Back