Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

I'm thinking that the wind and tides look pretty good for tomorrow am.
Who's with me?

Fished the Head this afternoon in my kayak--1 teener spring on bait. First fish out of my new yak.
T2

That must be a hoot getting a nice spring in a kayak,Tsquared. I think I just found another thing to add to my bucket
list!

it WAS fun--my yak's got a sail on it and a couple of outriggers so there's a whole new routine to get used to when
you get a strike--furl the sail, collapse one outrigger against the side of the yak, and wind up the manual downrigger--all while playing the fish! It was a blast!
T2

Slow morning for us except released 5 Sockeye the biggest pushing 12 pounds. Then a bite came on at noon but that was when we were heading in to change over to the next party. Back out at 1:30 and had 3 doubles in a row, landed the first 4 and lost the last 2. All by 3pm. 29, 27, 22 and 21 pounds. Today the fish were shallow, yesterday they were deep, mid water and shallow. Out tomorrow morning, then no bookings until the end of September.

Enjoy the holiday Dbl R..

Out west or close to home?

From where I live its always out west. ;)

Ok.... I'll take that....

Burn..... :D

On the water at 7, Managed to scratch up a 25lb in the gap at secretary then no signs of life from secretary to the shack from what i could see but bait jumping everywhere ... got off the water at 1245 and sounds like i may have left a bit early

SLOW again tonight...unless you enjoy catching and releasing 5 pound wild coho

Last edited by a moderator:
speed bumps lol just jokin tsqu. hella cool and scary! totally would love to too.
No worries FS--I call them speed bumps too when im in my power boat--either that or sand fleas cause theyre all over your favourite beach!
T2

Fished the Head this afternoon in my kayak--1 teener spring on bait. First fish out of my new yak.
T2

tsquaed,we seen you out at the head yesterday afternoon around 2:20 or so..looks pretty cool with you out there,,we were the ones who asked you if you had anything and you said you did,,,way to go

Looking for a report: Has anyone been fishing out at Sherringham this week?
There were fish at Sherringham earlier this week, but you've got just go and pick your spot.
There are springs and coho all up and down the outter west coast and from Sherringham to Oak Bay.
Sometimes the worse news you can get is that there was a big bite this morning at Sherringham cause by the time you go in the afternoon, or the next morning they have gone and the bite is on at Possession, Otter, Possession, the Trap or the Head.
Sorry I can't be more specific...good luck...nice flood tides for the next little while and the weather looks good

There were fish at Sherringham earlier this week, but you've got just go and pick your spot.
There are springs and coho all up and down the outter west coast and from Sherringham to Oak Bay.
Sometimes the worse news you can get is that there was a big bite this morning at Sherringham cause by the time you go in the afternoon, or the next morning they have gone and the bite is on at Possession, Otter, Possession, the Trap or the Head.
Sorry I can't be more specific...good luck...nice flood tides for the next little while and the weather looks good
I agree , sometimes the best news to hear is " its been slow, dont go there" it can change in one Tide, pick your spot and make it pay. Good Luck Driller

Sounds about right. You would have been at bottom of ebb, beginning of flood in the morning? Flooding good by 11 when you got your fish? Bite probably would have continued from there. Lots of boats at Muir on the ebb. Sounds about right.

PS Can someone save me a parking spot at Jocks tomorrow am. LOL! Not in the derby so won't be out at first light.

Thanks
Tips

Wow slow in the early morning is all I can say. Stayed around Otter ( whats with all the boats at muir :) ) Was awesome say the least anyway just pulling up the gear at around 11 and pop right rod goes off and netted a nice 24lb red. Pretty epic battle especially doing it myself, and was in process of packing up.....hmmm. Didn't like the bait today they just liked the plastic stuff. Go figure....

Totally awesome day again. Really foggy guys look out. Please slow down! So many guys passing me close today in limited visibility super fast. Was also hearing some distress calls on radio looks like it is fog season again....

What was with a few tiny tinnys challenging everyone to stay out of the way today. Very funny.....

High Five

So whats the best hootchie for around sooke? Wasnt sure if there was a prefered one, up island my, go too was the army truck, purple haze and jack smith...

Back