Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Wow what a change of weather from yesterday!! Windy, rough and cool. Managed to land 29, 20 and 6 pound springs, lost another low 20's at the boat and a couple more long line releases. Not the easiest landing conditions with guests having little experience. I give em credit, stuck it out and didn't get sick. 60-70 feet seemed to be the range. Supposed to have wind tomorrow and Friday, the weekend sounds really good.

Nicer day today, almost calm. Started at 5am but early was slow with no bait showing. Managed a 20 and a pair of 19's, lost 3 others. same depth as yesterday. No real bite all day just one here and there...finished at 3pm.

Nice work PF! And thanks kindly for the updates!

I am headed out saturday and taking someone new to the water with me. Hopefully I get the gear going right and get them into a few fish.

I monitor 68 and plan to be on the water by 8am if anyones around.

Mike

Pro Fisher,

Where around Sooke are you fishing? Im assuming you meant 60-70 ft on the rigger .. what depth of water?? any specific colours that are working? Going to get out sunday if the wind stays good. Thnx

Lunk

Dr. L I had the same questions in my mind, but you will be fortunate indeed to get a reply to that one. There are some secrets that are too sensitive to divulge........ :cool:

Good day out there had to work for them but got them all teens and found them shallower today 49 ft on rigger.
and for FISHFLY GUY!!!!!!!!!!!! the first pink of the year wow id say a bit early .......LOL LOL
BTW wheres my .25 cents LOL LOL

Wolf

Ive been off the site for a few weeks. Kinda lost me after the whole halibut advertisment ordeal. I also have heard of a few pinks in the area already. For myself I got 4 in the trap on tuesday afternoon and got 2 at alderidge yesterday. Its been decent, but for me no honkers yet. Im just glad ive had a few days to fish since work is going to be scary busy this summer. Wolfie, I thought we were going double or nothing, maybe over the next few years we can let it build up to enough for me to buy you a beer.

Cheers & its good to be back on here.

-Steve

Dr. L I had the same questions in my mind, but you will be fortunate indeed to get a reply to that one. There are some secrets that are too sensitive to divulge........ :cool:

haha ya i know ... thought it was worth a shot ... Ill get into them either way just thought a head start would be nice

Pro Fisher,

Where around Sooke are you fishing? Im assuming you meant 60-70 ft on the rigger .. what depth of water?? any specific colours that are working? Going to get out sunday if the wind stays good. Thnx

Lunk

For the past couple of weeks the bloody nose teaser heads have been producing when the bite is on. In the mornings make sure to fish in closer to shore, usually 120 feet of water is a safe bet. There arnt to many secrets out there but Alot of superstitions when it's slow haha.

Head to deeper water as the morning progress's and watch for good tide lines to follow. Also if any of us are on the water we will always help out the best we can.

Good luck out there, and remember to keep a very tight roll on the bait out there.

Mike

Pinks already! lame

Out tomorrow..... Ill be on 68 till the summer chatter kicks in

Thanks mike, thats exactly what was working for me in Sooke a few weeks prior to the derby (other then slightly deeper water before ~170ish) ... will keep it up. Thanks for the heads up !

Lunk

If you want tips on whats not catching fish it was my lines all day today. Had 2 lite smacks. Trolling Bait (Herring and chovies) and coyote spoons in a variety of colours and hootchies. Just couldent get one to bite. Good bite this morning at obrien to the head from 5:30 am till about 9:30am. Very steady action for just about everyone but me. I was shocked as my last few trips ive hit a few springs each time. Oh well. Next time.

Tight lines

-Steve

Hello there , was thinking to fish out of Sooke Canada weekend on my 22 foot trophy. Have fished once several years back with a local charter and another time with D and D charters for halibut. Was not as hooked on fishing at the time so did not retain enough info. How is the launch at jocks and if I remember is it tricky getting out of the harbor ? Could any one give some tips on where to try or things to look out for. Thanks

Steve that was me at the silva bay derby last weekend , 2 days without a bite. Limits the previous 2 weekends.

Flyguy don't feel bad, we fish from 6-12 and had 1 hit and that was it. 4 lines, chovies and a green hoothie @ Otter, than moved up to Sheringham. Saw a couple fish caught off the lighthouse but it looked slow compared to the Trap yesderday. Sounds like we should have gone your way but thought there would be to many boats.

beachiehead was the place for me 19lb in the boat released one about the same red&silver flasher bloddynose teaser 56 ft
slot restriction sucks

Back