Sooke Reports - Fall and Winter 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was out sunday from 1:30-4:30. Hit 4 two around 10 and 2 around 7. 190 on the rigger in 160 ft or water in Beecher Bay. Glow hootchie 16" behind a Coyote Flasher.

-Steve

Englishman remember that when my rigger is out 190 ft im only in 140-150 ft of water! The rest of the line is to compensate for the angle of the rigger. Alot of the time I just drop my gear until it hits bottom and leave it there. As the boat trolls it pulls it up off bottom a few feet and you are in the winter zone!

-Steve

That's a good point. When I'm fishing bottom I almost never look at the counter, just drop the ball until you hit bottom and crank it up 5-10'. Constantly as I'm fishing I'll keep dropping to find bottom, staying tight to bottom can be key at times. Also when you keep hitting bottom and stirring up silt I think it attracts the attention of fish. Obviously only do this on mud or sand bottoms - might not work at the trap :).

11 hours from now should be heading out to the grounds for the first hali of the year.. Good luck to all those heading out and have a great day. :)

After the very poor fishing off Sooke the last few times for us, that I posted here, we upped stakes and hauled the boat to Cheanuh to try Whirl Bay, based on forum member reports. Fished 9:15am till 2:00pm and got just two hits within 30 minutes of each other, mid-morning on a white glo hootchie, but managed to stick both and get them into the boat. A 7lb wild and and 9lb hatch. Never had a touch on the other rod, despite many lure changes. Still a very good day on the water!:)

As others have noted, there is virtually no bait on the Lowrance. The 7lb fish was stuffed with tiny fingernail size grey shrimp. The bigger fish had a couple of tiny shrimp and a tightly rolled piece of a plastic bag. I believe what very few fish there are this year are VERY hungry.

Went out at 9:15 am again today to fish Whirl Bay in a strong, cold NE wind. (Bigwavedave updated, after we left home, to stronger winds than it showed at 7:00am !). Trolled a couple of hours in there but nuttin' happenin', so trolled right past Church and along past the Islands and still nothing. Crossed over to the West side of Becher Bay and tried along there but the only excitement was losing a cannonball where the depth changed abruptly from 180' to 110' in 10 meters or less. My GPS map shows nothing like that. I guess I will have to get the paper chart out and study it!! LOL
(Six trips so far in 2012 and three blanks......not very inspiring........:( )

Regardless, nice to see an actual fishing report :)
all of this Halibut bickering is getting me down....

I know what you mean R.S. I may be wrong but there does not seem to be as many reports on the Sooke thread as last year. Probably means not much around, which is consistent with our level of success, or lack of it!! LOL
I think I am going to give it a couple of weeks before we go again, since I am burning gas to no avail! (Besides the I-Command alarm kept going off today, telling me there was a Sensor Malfunction, so I need to get that looked at ( I think it is the water pressure because the gauge was reading funny, although the engine was peeing OK and the temperature was fine).

Regardless, nice to see an actual fishing report :)
all of this Halibut bickering is getting me down....

I fished pedder to church rock on Tuesday. Tried for halibut west of race rocks in about 200' but only managed a few fat cabezon. Let them all go. I also tried east of Race Rocks in about 150' of water and caught a couple greenlings. Let them go too.

Tried trolling some white and green hoochies through whirl bay for a few hours; one bite and it was a shaker. Nice day out on the water as far as weather goes for early spring. Killer whales were out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished Bedfords and whirl bay 7 fish on all small keep two 8lb white Coho killer out fished bait tobay.

Fished Bedfords and whirl bay 7 fish on all small keep two 8lb white Coho killer out fished bait tobay.

We saw you around a few times today Tailout. You did far better than our blank. I have an old Krippled K that looks a bit like the Coho killer but I did not put it on, mainly because I have tried it a few times and never got a single hit on it. But maybe I should have tried it today......?? LOL

Beginners Progres in Sooke - Article

For anyone who is interested, the saga of my first time pursuit of catching a summer chinook has now been posted as an article in the Fish Tales section of the SportsfishingBC Web site. Thx Brian!

And thx again to all the forum members who made this story possible!!

Great read English!
cheers.gif

Great story! I've been fishing here for 22 years and the biggest chinook I've caught was only 18lbs. You beat that in only 2 seasons!

We got out friday about 11am until 2pm. Tried halibut first 2.5 hrs nada then fished salmon . Had two hits and landed a 7lb hatch. east side constance bank. Great to get out been a while

Great story! I've been fishing here for 22 years and the biggest chinook I've caught was only 18lbs. You beat that in only 2 seasons!

Thx Trendsetter. R.S., and Lippy,

The Chinook fish catching events in the story were all made possible by the good folks on this forum, as I mentioned in the article. Thx again to everyone for all the invaluable advice, information and help!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Article English, I think we sometimes forget how lucky we are to have such a great fishery in Sooke , even though it is slow on somedays ,there is always a chance that your Rod will bounce. Keep fishing, even a Day without fish is a success in my opinion, Driller

Great read English, thanks for sharing! I'll always remember my first big Chinook, it was up off Dundas Island north of Rupert...40lbs. Pulling in one of those big hogs is an incredible experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back