Sooke Reports - Fall and Winter 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
mint tulip

hey there rook,,mint tulip hey,,i think that i have a few of them,,,i will give them a whirl,,,how's your crabbing been latley?pretty slow i bet,,hope the coho are still going to be around this weekend,,went out last sunday,,beautiful day out on the water,,we caught 5 coho,,2 wild and 3 clipped,,released a few wilds,,

Fish 8-11:30 am. Mint Tulip and Glow White split the action in 3 hatchery and 2 wild. A little lumpy, but managed to find a calm strip out to 450 ft going west from the Head (calm until the wind shifted to more of an easterly. Beautiful day!

fished.from 8am to12pm off of secratary 5-600 ft. water 70-100ft. on riggers. 3 wild coho landed 6-10 pounds all on anchivies

Skunked today. Fished from 8:30 - noon out from bluffs in 500' water and back in front of Secretary. Tried anchovy and hootchies at depths from 60' to 150'. Not a bite. Maybe 6 other boats in the same general area, but did not see any nets in the water. Have the Coho's gone or were we doing something wrong again.......? LOL

We were out on Monday and hit fish all day. Better luck in front of Secretary than Otter. Fished 400-550 waters at 75 -100 deep. Chartruese Splatterback Coho Killer was the spoon that produced best. Largest was 12 lbs.

Yes AJS, we were out Monday too and did OK (see my post for 17th above). Thursday was three days later and that is a long time in fishing! Anyone been out today and can confirm the Coho are still there?

Out yesterday too. Was out in about 600 ft. depth,was straight out from beechy bay where i found some in a.m. Fished 80 ft. on rigger with glow white hoochy with mylar & a purple onion flasher w / large single siwash hook. Barbless of course. 3- 10 lbers & a 6lber done by 1030.

fished 8 till 2 , from aldredge to secretary 500 ft, 1 coho, 12lb chum, oh yea a half hour killer whale show PRICELESS we live in the best place on earth, but the fishing was dead slow, only a couple of hits on top of 2 fish

Got out today for our last trip of the season, beautiful calm sunny fall day... amazing day, fished from 8-11 off Secretary in 500-550 feet of water..... kept 3 wild and 2 hatchery released two others.... fishing 120-140' on the deep lines (15lb. balls) got most of the fish, got one and lost one on the shallow rod at 42-55'... Nice to see a few fish out there still.

Decided to give the Coho one more shot, and they are apparently still there,
Fished from 8:30 am till 11:30 am in 500 feet of water out from the harbour until a NE wind blew up and made fishing a bit less pleasant. The last hour was somewhat challenging as big flat rollers were coming in from the west, while the nasty short white cap chop came from the East.
Anyway got four decent hits all on anchovy at 125’. Never got a hit on any lure on the other side despite changing up and fishing at same depth. Boated one 7lb and one small 4lb. One long distance release and one we missed entirely.
Not a bad morning considering we blanked last Thursday…..

Winter springs 7-10 pounds plentifull in beecher bay. was down at the dock and saw 2 fellows both with 4 winters and 3 of them were chubby little buggers!

Hootchies on the bottom.

-STeve

fished in 580-600ft of water off secretary on sunday,,only landed one 9lb coho,,had a double header on one side of the boat and lost both,oh well.i quess it will be winter springs next weekend,,

Winter springs 7-10 pounds plentifull in beecher bay. was down at the dock and saw 2 fellows both with 4 winters and 3 of them were chubby little buggers!

Hootchies on the bottom.

-STeve

Either those guys don't know the regs or don't know how to count, or just don't care. The limit on winter springs is the same as summer ones, 2.

I will re write that. There were 2 seperate fellows both with 4 springs at the dock. They also both had their wives with them. Forgot to mention that.

Believe me if it was ilegal I would be one of the first to notice.

-Steve

I will re write that. There were 2 seperate fellows both with 4 springs at the dock. They also both had their wives with them. Forgot to mention that.

Believe me if it was ilegal I would be one of the first to notice.

-Steve

So much for gender equality/inclusiveness. I hope the womens libbers don't read these posts LOL.

H.E.H.

Coho still around?

Any more reports on Coho in the JDF? I'm hoping to get out for one last trip on Satuday. If there are any still around I bet their getting big and fat.

They ,,were there on Tues. first tide line from the head.Let 3 wild go got 2 wild and 2 hatch,bait at 110 ft and glow hootch at 80 ft.
on another note guys don,t be so picky,re. 2 guys 4 fish, or ????

Out for 3 hours Thursday. Covered a wide area at a variety of depths, with hootchies and spoons. No coho for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back