Sooke Reports - Fall and Winter 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was channeling my local-surfer-attitude into fishing, my response might be one of:

-- If you don't live here, don't fish here.

-- Fish? There's no fish around here. Move along.

Just kiddin' y'all. ;-)

Sounds about right. I've experienced the stink eye localism at the boat launch before. Too funny.

It's also funny how you get that same stink eye and barking out at the point coming from all sorts of self proclaimed locals.

"Don't even think about fishing that hole!"

Engman...it appears we have arrived at a point in time where fishn/fishermen are being discreet.I would say get out & give that area a try, if you see the usuall suspects chances are the fish aren't far away..;)
Cheers!... ss

Message received and understood SS!! Thx

(Perhaps the fishing is great and that is why no one is posting a report. LOL)

"discreet"...nah, suspect not much going on out there, or at least not many chasing it. My guess is typical slow/steady winter chinook fishing, with generally smaller fish. Wish I had a report to post! Very windy today and looks like Sunday too. Here comes monsoon season again...

fished 9-11am Trailer Park, 2 winters, 160 ft in 170 ft of water, silver betsey flasher, shorter anchovy with glow head. no crab three traps, no crab. Used the new Hotel's ramp, nice ramp but a "craft fair" on today, they were using the boat ramp parking spots. Irritating to start but awful when leaving. Cars parked on opposite side on road all the way to the road. no cleaning station and the dock is so high that it was impossible to rinse the fish...........calm to start but got snotty by 10. Surfed all the way to Whiffen. Nice to get out after a month off!

fished 9-11am Trailer Park, 2 winters, 160 ft in 170 ft of water, silver betsey flasher, shorter anchovy with glow head. no crab three traps, no crab. Used the new Hotel's ramp, nice ramp but a "craft fair" on today, they were using the boat ramp parking spots. Irritating to start but awful when leaving. Cars parked on opposite side on road all the way to the road. no cleaning station and the dock is so high that it was impossible to rinse the fish...........calm to start but got snotty by 10. Surfed all the way to Whiffen. Nice to get out after a month off!

Yaayy, first fishing report after using the ramp. Send me a photo if you want the FishingSooke tshirt.

Bummer to hear of the hassles, but the price was right eh! ;-)

Had a few hrs to kill today. Bluffs to trailer park @140 ft and back between 165 & 130 ft. Beautiful day in my new boat but nada. Think my boat needs a little tuning.

Report today from No Bananas Trevor on facebook: "bbbrrrrrrrrr freakin cold, but impressive fishing. Landed 9, got sealed 5-6 times, and lost quite a few as well, all in all a great day!!! 4 between 8-10 lbs, rest smaller". http://www.nobananas.ca/

Didn't give location, probably Pedder Bay area somewhere.

Went out off sooke from 7-12 and landed 6 springs and lost a few others and let some smaller ones go. Lots of action almost all day, most hootchies and deep. Frickin freezing out there tho. Great new launch tho and only saw 2 other boats one of which had 1 spring.

Yes ,there are fish out there in all the usuall spots...alas this will be my last fishing report until? i bid you all a healthy & happy season..may the New Year continue to bring you calm c & good fishing :) sammy

Have fun down yander, mang!

buen viaje

Last edited by a moderator:
If the going gets tough...you know where to find me bro!

Gracias.. vaya con Salmon!

Anyone having any luck off Sooke Bluffs? Seems too quiet. Past years it was like shooting fish is a barrel. Makes me concerned about this summer. 140 ft used to be a killer.

Sooke weather Saturday. Is it going to be calm 5 to 10 and protected a bit from SE winds, or no protection and gusts 25-35? What are the thoughts for fishing the bluffs/trailer park from 9 to noon? Bigwave dave and others vary a bit on the topic.

I see W NW NWN? SE can be a pita fishing the bluffs. Wouldn't hurt to look... Don't think you'll be turning around and going home.

Checked a couple more and all I see is good stuff.... not sure where the SE came from?

It's the beer confusing me. It's SE or ESE for most of the region tomorrow. Sooke is everything else for direction and oddly calm. It just didn't seem right.

With new moon tide/stronger current will be your biggest concern. I would say no, but you may get a small window tom....... just check weather it flooding or ebbing in morning. If you come out of harbour look out if you time the tide/wind wrong.... Can be fun LOL

High Five

Stiff SW'r + Big ebb = roller coaster coming out :eek:

Surprise 10+ roller.

A flat calm morning with a leftover lump from the night before.... Ask the guys from the flatland that where with me. :D

First time seeing the chuck(fog)and we got airborne first wave rounding the light. Chugged out and halfway through the rip they were like "Yeah, this is fun :rolleyes:"

Glass by the end of the kelp bed...

Turned out to be a good day ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back