Sooke Reports - Fall and Winter 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quit bragging everyone on here got that many!, you could get them on anything.

Flyfishguy89,
Ignore the surly and petulant comment from Chinook. The is a REPORT thread and the rest of us are interested in knowing who is catching what out there. So report away and ignore the negativity.
(You did way better than us. We went out on Monday and had long spells with nothing. Ended up with landing about 6 and losing 4 and the biggest was only 8lbs. We had mostly small ones in the 5-6 lb range.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Saturday nothing on the Bucktail. Sunday 2 fish on the grey ghost bucktail with the famous pearl cowichan spinner on a 9 wt. Now to find a big one for the derby on the weekend !

Hey Chinook, you must be confused - this is a report thread and your not contributing to it in any valuable way. He wasn't bragging, he was reporting and lots of people are interested in his report (myself included). It's nice to know how the fishing is before deciding to tow the boat out to sooke for one final fish this year.

Was out this am till about 10:30ish. Nice morning on the water with Porpoises, killer & grey whales. Tons of fish for us in the 450 to 550 ft range. White hoochie and green 5" spoon were the ticket for us with most of the bigger fish 60 to 90'. We were off the bedfords but it seems like people were doing well all the way up to the harbor. I suggest checking the lines more frequently than normal as we found several 6-12" fish going for the 5" spoon! Also suggest tossing your inital wilds back until you get somethign sizeable as its painful throwing the biggest fish of the day back. Seems like its mostly smaller fish 6-10lbs with a couple 12+ mixed in for good measure. It figures that only 1 of the 20+ fish was a hatchery =). Hopefully they up it from 1 wild ASAP.

Gonna try and get out there again later this week. If you need a little push to get out there let this be it, the fishing is unreal right now.

Cheers,

Slader99

Well I hope your all sitting down when you read this report. Out from 7am - 12:15pm off Secretary 200-500 ft of water fishing 100 and 120 ft on the riggers. Got 43 fish total. 42 Wild Cohos and 1 Small Spring. This does not include all the Grills I caught. It was crazy. Best fishing I have experienced other than Pink fishing which doesn't count. Of the 43 fish caught, kept 1 wild Coho 12 lbs. Lost 12 of the 43. Two were big buggers and maybe big springs at least 20 lbs or more. Man they are attacking the lures. Hootchies were the ticket for me NO Bait at all. Nice. It was glass calm, awesome day. I was using a single barbless hook which was easy for removal. I had 3 fish jump about 5 feet out of the water. It was so cool to see. Fun times. Call in sick and get out there. 10 Double headers, 1 triple header ( I had to put the 3rd rod away too busy.) Mortality Rate 1 in the boat and 1 that floated away. DFO Figure it out, its pretty simple, 2 Coho's Wild or Hatchery Go HOME!!!!

MY god go fishing enjoy as this wont last forever one good rain and poof they will be gone,
he pissed cause hes sitting at a desk wanting to go and we are out there doing it.... LOL LOL

Wolf

Glow Hootchy's worked for us today . Fished Sec 550 - 600 feet 7 am til 1pm , so many shakers, but let a dozen 6-8 lbers go.

Green splatterback, Tiger Prawn, Blue Haze, anything with yellow and green mix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glow Hootchy's worked for us today . Fished Sec 550 - 600 feet 7 am til 1pm , so many shakers, but let a dozen 6-8 lbers go.

Green splatterback, Tiger Prawn, Blue Haze, anything with yellow and green mix.

Give it up, There only coho's. Nobody cares.

Time out time.....

timeout.jpg

Got out a bit late at 8:30 am today and started way out there in 550 feet of water where several other boats were. Huge flat rolling swell made everyone disappear every now and then. :cool: Got a couple of bites right away on hootchie and apex, put one in the box and then it all seemed to stop. Had a blank couple of hours then came back into 350 feet of water off Secretary. Picked up a few more there. (Should have done that earlier because that is where everyone else had ended up). Ended with regulation two in the box, released about 5 and lost 4 more. Lots of shakers. Never saw a hatchery fish at all!

As a recent boat owner and fisherman from the Victoria Area, I humbly hope than these plenthora of Coho make their way a little futher south in the very near future! Can you say "Envious"?

Heard they were off of constance the other day plus a few nice winters already. Im out this am will let you know how it goes...

wolf

This thread is making me insane, doing the 9-5 m-f working guy thing...NOT fishing. I hope to get out there this weekend ... and if my luck holds true, you better get yours before Sunday, because it will be OVER by the time I get out there. :)

As for wading through the hatcheries ... feels very wrong when you have to release bleeding fish you know are going to die. Remember, from DFO's perspective, the only reason this hatchery-only fishery is even open is that they want those wire-coded heads back. It isn't about allowing rec fishing, it's about getting payback for their research investment. My worry always, is that pressing them with the argument "I had to kill 20 wild fish to get the one you allow me to keep", their response will be "that's terrible, we better close it altogether". A screwed up situation for sure, especially when we know the coho clipping was not done at all for years, and even when done is about 10%. I believe most of these fish were born in a tank!

Anyways, wrong thread, that's not a report ... so keep those great reports coming, and fingers crossed they are around through the weekend.

Fished 9-1030 off church hit quite a few fish and most were 8-10lbs. 60 to 90 ft I tried deeper and got a few but not as much action down there.

Hey guys, this thread has convinced me to come down and give it a try this weekend! Any suggestions on where to stay overnight on the boat? Thinking about Sunny Shores but it seems to be further in the bay, not sure if it matters... Thanks in advance.

Showery morning with bumpy conditions on the water to start, but calmed down nicely by 11 am and then the sun shone. Beauty day by the end.

Same as yesterday. Tried out in 400-500 feet of water to begin and got one in the chop then nothing.

Came back to 280-350 feet of water in front of Secretary and began to pick them up. Pink/purple glow hootchies and green apex lures at 100-120 feet worked well. There were three of us in the boat today and so we kept 3 wilds to 8lbs and also got two hatchery fish, one about 6lbs and one smaller one. First hatchery fish we have seen!

Released about 7 including an estimated 10lb'der, unfortunately 8-(.

Good luck in the Derby tomorrow everyone. (I'm staying home :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back