Sooke Chums

otter

The posts about Chum fishing are interesting.Im not familiar with fishing for them.I fish out of Sooke and dont even know if they pass through here, Any info/advice appreciated.

B Gibb

From what I understand, and it obviously makes sense since they come into Goldstream in the first few weeks of November, the Saanich Inlet is usually hopping in them by the end of October. As I just moved down from Campbell River this year and totally got hooked on chum fishing up there, I certainly plan on trying out of Halls when the time comes (off the Malahat).

Any information about the inlet will be greatly appreciated (chum hangouts etc) - if there are no discussions here about it, I'll check closer to the time at Island Outfitters and try to get the scoop.

There is no question that if you are in it for the 'sport' or 'fight', chum is the only way to go. They pretty much fight typical to double their weight for a spring (ie, 10 pounder fights like a 20 lb spring). While I don't remember the jumping hangtime with them you get with coho, the sheer power and long runs are extremely impressive.

I would have to assume same rules apply as has been discussed with the CR runs - purple purple purple, and dead slow troll (1.5mph or so). Hunt for them too as they school and you could spend the whole day above them at 50 feet and catch nothing, while you could have been at 80 and having double headers all day.

My fav from last year was purple/silver flasher and J300 (pink/black commercial hootchie). I'm heading up to Browns for thanksgiving and will try out the spin and glo's infront this time around as well.

Any saanich inlet stories???

quote:
The posts about Chum fishing are interesting.Im not familiar with fishing for them.I fish out of Sooke and dont even know if they pass through here, Any info/advice appreciated.

B Gibb

B Gibb

Interesting Dewar. I used to fish the Inlet years ago.Cant recall Chums there but dont think it was a topic or effort to do so then.
The Inlet was hot then. Clinker boats ,wire line/planers.
Moved back to the Island and the Inlet is a Ghost town. What the hell happened? I havent done it yet but am so tempted to trailer from Sooke to Halls and give it a try. Winter Spring fishing was always popular. In the Spring the Bluebacks were prolific. The bonus was the protected waters.

B Gibb

Certainly don't think it would be worth your time for 'general' salmon fishing in the inlet. As you mention, I haven't heard of anything significant caught anywhere around there. My friend claims his buddy always goes out there for the chum run and they are usually schooling on the surface....as chum is the main run of the Goldstream, I can't see how that wouldn't be the case.

Maybe so many people think of them as crap salmon, that they don't even give it the effort year after year, even though, they are there in force. They honestly don't know what they are missing (I too was like that when I originally lived down here...wouldn't put in the effort and I didn't know what I was missing, but with the ease of hooking up, and strength of the fight, I'm all over it now!)

I've wondered about the chums in Saanich Inlet as well. Never hear of anybody targetting them.

I remember when I was a kid in the late 60's early 70's while growing up in the Alberni Valley, nobody ever fished for Sockeye. They were considered uncatchable plus everyone was too busy chasing Springs to be bothered with them. I wonder if the same type of mentality is happening with this Chum fishery now? And, Dewar might be right, people may think they're crap to eat so why bother fishing them.

Old post from Rob Waters here about it (first 2 paragraphs)...the gumming thing is interesting as the chum up in CR seemed to be slamming the hootchies, not gumming! May be related more to the fact that they are holding/hangin out around Browns Bay, but more prone to just moving through the inlet heading straight into the river...closer to spawn time and more finicky??? Just a best guess!

http://www.fishingadventure.ca/200111.htm

Back