Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Out to Possession at first light. Anchovy down for 6 hrs from 5:30-11:30. Caught one seagull, nothing else.

Saw no fish caught, though one boat had one on the line for a while. To be fair, pretty hard to see more than 3 or 4 boats at a time in the pea soup though.

image.jpg

Picked up this scrappy 28lber west this morning, great fight and nice to get into a big one finally! Hopefully il find its big brother for the derby thus weekend!!!

Thank-you Sooke!!!!

So in only and hour and a half of fishing my faith in my abilities as an angler have been restored. Decided to make the run down to Sooke from Duncan early this morning and put in by 8:30 and fished west. 30 minutes later the first action started. Just a wee lil guy. I figure 4-6 lbs as he had trouble springing the release on the rigger. I watched the rod tip prang away for a good 5 min and when it stopped I went to check my bait. To my surprise he was still on. Given the opportunity to pass this one off to my son for his first salmon, I went to give him the rod and well... a misplaced elbow and a few tears due to some poor small boat communication let this lil one get away right at the gunnel.

Watching the time as I needed to head back to Victoria, we turned the boat homeward bound and hooked up again. Landed a 17Lb spring, which is the biggest fish I've ever caught so I'm mighty proud. Was at 120 on the rigger, running one of my 6yo daughters hand painted teaser heads. Turns out they actually work. Wish I had more time but I figure that was pretty good for an hour and a half of the water. Can't wait for the opportunity to return. I'll post a pic soon.

Revy fisher, I pulled up some nice 2lb Kokanee from Revelstoke reservoir a couple days ago. Better than I'm doing for sockeye today. Got a couple chinook at least. Who told the sockeye there was an opening?! Still trying...485 feet of water and still searching.

Revy fisher, I pulled up some nice 2lb Kokanee from Revelstoke reservoir a couple days ago. Better than I'm doing for sockeye today. Got a couple chinook at least. Who told the sockeye there was an opening?! Still trying...485 feet of water and still searching.

No kidding. We were getting sockeye and pinks when going for Springs this past week and then today decided to target sockeye with the opening and came up empty handed. Half way through our day we each started slowly switching back to gear we had used previously this week and still nothing. First skunk of our trip with no salmon in the boat.

Fished from 7:00am until 2:00pm today. We went searching for sockeye with pink hootchies and dummy flashers but I think we were premature as we were unable to find any. We started out in 400’ of water came all the way back to the Trap, did a pass and then went all the way out to 550’about 4km off secretary. We covered a hell of a lot of ground in several large loops to no avail. It was looking like a skunking but very late I put the same glo spoon that worked on Monday at 160’ in 540’ of water and got a small 8lb Chinook. The chinook are VERY deep methinks (in 400' of water got lots of echos from 280 to 380' but my little riggers will never reach that deep!!).

Flat calm and lots of fog till 11:00am. Never got any sun as strange, high stormy looking clouds hung over the Olympics and the Strait all day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out early in this morning for the elusive sockeye, like most guys out there it was a tough go. Used red/pink hochies and chovies on each side. From church thru Aldridge 150 ft out to 550 no love to be had. Picked up a mid teen spring on the chovie side coming back in at 300 ft 100 ft on the rigger. Once the fog lifted I still saw no nets out on any boats. Not much going for most by listening to the radio but someone must have located a school somewhere.....

Fished out west for springs from 10-1. Not a thing. Went out to third tideline looking for sockeye. We said we'll drop when we see the birds. 37ft on the rigger and had a good hit in the first 10 mins then nothing. 5 minutes later at same depth boated a decent 8lb sockeye. Thought we had found the school then nothing but a hatchery coho an hour later. I think the sockeye I caught today was kicked out of school.

Fished 6-8am for springs and landed 2 about 17 and 16 pounds had another hit the gear. Trolled out to the 420-440 depth and switched over to 5 identical sockeye setups. (2 outer riggers stacked and 3rd just a single) Hit into 2 schools and 2 doubles landing all 4. Also 2 hatchery coho and released 1 wild. Let 3 sm springs go as well. Then came back in to the beach about 11:30 and fished until 4 with another spring about 15 pounds and 1 other hit. There aren't that many sockeye out there yet....no jumpers or finners so until some more move in it is a tough grind. They are nice fish when you get them!!!

We were out from 6:30 to 11:30 today. Got a 15lb white at Muir around 7:30 and lost another. Fish was caught at 36 feet on the rigger on a purple/chrome/glow teaser head and a purple onion flasher. Fished Muir until 10, saw other boats landing fish fairly regularly until we left. Not super hot, but steady.

Then we headed back to go out off the bluffs to try for sockeye. Had one good sockeye like hit (inside of a turn, on pink hoochie) but it spit the hook. Caught one feisty but small wild coho and that was it.

Out with a couple of buddies Tues. The fishing is still somewhat slow out front. The small Coho seem to be making themselves scarcer Tuesday both on the lines and the sounder, not that we are specifically targeting them yet and waiting for them to get larger. Put out the gear for Socks and did one outside loop out to 550 to the third tideline for Sockeye without hitting any. Marked one tight ball of about 20 smaller salmon on the fishfinder (likely Sockeye or possibly Ho’s or Humpies) but were at the wrong depth and could not find it again on the run back. Did see some jumpers in the pm at about 160 of water colume but by that time we were rigged back up for Chinook.

We did manage to get a 15lb short stubby white spring and a 17 and 3 quarters pound long narrow red Chinook. The 15 on Chovie on the ebb and the almost 18 on plastic on the flood. Seem to be a lot more teens and less 20’s and 30’s around this summer but should get better now that Fogust has arrived and more of the big whites show up.

Almost trolled into Sooke Inlet past the boundary line out of habit but remembered at the last minute that it was August 1st. and now closed for Chinook retention to protect the Sooke Spawners.

Sounds like a nice day on the water with a couple for the BBQ. Im pretty certain you meant to say friday instead of tues. Or were you looking for socks on tues as a test fish.

KK

Out with a couple of buddies Tues. The fishing is still somewhat slow out front. The small Coho seem to be making themselves scarcer Tuesday both on the lines and the sounder, not that we are specifically targeting them yet and waiting for them to get larger. Put out the gear for Socks and did one outside loop out to 550 to the third tideline for Sockeye without hitting any. Marked one tight ball of about 20 smaller salmon on the fishfinder (likely Sockeye or possibly Ho’s or Humpies) but were at the wrong depth and could not find it again on the run back. Did see some jumpers in the pm at about 160 of water colume but by that time we were rigged back up for Chinook.

We did manage to get a 15lb short stubby white spring and a 17 and 3 quarters pound long narrow red Chinook. The 15 on Chovie on the ebb and the almost 18 on plastic on the flood. Seem to be a lot more teens and less 20’s and 30’s around this summer but should get better now that Fogust has arrived and more of the big whites show up.

Almost trolled into Sooke Inlet past the boundary line out of habit but remembered at the last minute that it was August 1st. and now closed for Chinook retention to protect the Sooke Spawners.

Sounds like a nice day on the water with a couple for the BBQ. Im pretty certain you meant to say friday instead of tues. Or were you looking for socks on tues as a test fish.

KK

Indeed it was yesterday Friday Aug 1st which is really the only thing that makes sense from my post. Thanks for pointing out the typo. That's what lack of sleep will do for you. Had Tues. on the brain as we will likely go out again this coming Tuesday and was talking with some of my buddies who will be going in one of their boats then.

Well I will be out in morning first light....so here's too hoping some sox... I take it the quietness on here is not good sign...

Fished Beecher from 7:30-noon for springs and got one 9 pounder on a glow spoon at 120ft. VERY SLOW. Saw a couple SOX jumping but never heard mention of anyone hooking into any.

-KK

Well I will be out in morning first light....so here's too hoping some sox... I take it the quietness on here is not good sign...

Took a buddy out on Rockfish's boat yesterday for his birthday. Fished inside and outside without many bites as well as some targeted sockeye fishing with no bites. We only had two bites during the day but they were two nice teenagers - an 18lb red and a 15lb white. My friend's 18lb was the biggest that he has ever caught and he was elated about his birthday catch. 1560521_10152544554621348_8533606524521501913_n.jpg

Started in Becher around 10 and after a couple of passes went outside looking for sox as deep as 490 ft. Went with the ebb down to Secretary where we had 2 good hits on a white hootchy with pink stripes at 90 ft. Played 1 for about 5 minutes, still taking runs then it just turned and spit the hook--felt like a good one. Only 1 little coho into the boat for the day--slow for us.
T2

Back