Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Planning on driving down and making a try of Sooke fishing tomorrow morning. Is anyone using cut plug out there with any success?

Wow, like Christmas eve....sockeye potential again!

Rollie and others catching them incidentally ... are you finding them near shore, when targeting springs, or out in the deep water? I recall deep was the go last time around ... but if you're catching them on bait, suspect you may be close to shore? Do tell! :)

Wow, like Christmas eve....sockeye potential again!

Rollie and others catching them incidentally ... are you finding them near shore, when targeting springs, or out in the deep water? I recall deep was the go last time around ... but if you're catching them on bait, suspect you may be close to shore? Do tell! :)

X 2 Use the small pink hootch,the big spring will strike on a small pink hootch.

Last time off of Secertary.. Springs where there too.. Sink the pink that will work.. Might take a few days to locate them if they are there. Just look for the armada of boats when they are on them..

Might have to change the **** on DFO shirts/stickers instead of a fish pissing on DFO to a fish with a thumb sticking up out of the pectoral fin that says YAY DFO!

LOL

You know what Steve, thank the people at SVIAC working hard behind the scenes improving our relations with the DFO decision makers and making it clear to them what the recreational sector needs. It is not a coincident that things have gone a little smoother lately...

Absolutely sucked out west. Was out from 6-10. About slowest I have seen for a while... No sockeye/coho quiet. When I came in DFO officer in car reminded me of boundary closure at possession tomorrow and the sockeye opening...

On the way back still seeing a few without even GPS in fog guys came up that were absolutely lost. Its fogust, compass, reflector, GPS, radar(if you have), and slow down. This fog lately is very thick, easy to ground yourself/hit a boat if your not paying attention. Glad I could help some guys out today..

Today fog out west was zero, buy holy cow east/front of harbor was pea soup..

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished west today 6-11. Was slow only saw 4 fish caught where we were. Luckily we had 2 of them. A beauty 18 and a tyee (just) at 31.
jedypesa.jpg

You know what Steve, thank the people at SVIAC working hard behind the scenes improving our relations with the DFO decision makers and making it clear to them what the recreational sector needs. It is not a coincident that things have gone a little smoother lately...

I am a member. I agree 100%. They have done nothing but great things for us so far. I hope it continues on this way.

-KK

Fished 5:30-1:30. Had one good take at 100 ft on purple haze dummy and purple haze teaser head with anchovy. Right on the bottom.

VERY SLOW in Beecher Bay.

-KK

Fished 5:30-1:30. Had one good take at 100 ft on purple haze dummy and purple haze teaser head with anchovy. Right on the bottom.

VERY SLOW in Beecher Bay.

-KK

Yah I thought I heard you on radio... surprised I thought at least east would be a little better. Surprised to see some fish west like I said we were all over the place never saw any bites happen...

Pretty sure I saw you land that fish. One of the only two I saw being caught all day-nice pig. Spotty year for sure. Tomorrow I'm gonna try weiners and cookie dough till the westerly picks up. I was in the T-Top tinny with the blind man (friendly neighbor) at the wheel-haha!

I guess we're having some newbie luck in Sooke as we're doing far better than we did last year in Renfrew. We got out just as the fog broke this morning an within the first hour we had our first spring in the boat at 14lbs then about an hour later my son landed his first ever spring and was ecstatic. Missed one other hit as I was busy putting down a line on the other side and when i was done my rod was out of the rigger with fish and bait gone. All three hits were on anchovy with bloody nose. One very large pink on a cop car coho killer. The action was all in the first two hours then went dead for the next two. First day without a sockeye. Hopefully get into some tomorrow with the opening.

We did very well east today. Fished between secretary and head and landed 4 between 16-24lb. All deep and all on anchovy. Lost another and a couple shirt bites. Only saw one other fish caught but then again, there were not many boats around us. First time out in sooke in about a month and it was well worth the ride. Only out from 1-3:30.

10574425_10154431289045434_389931754691552104_n.jpg

Was out Thurs. with a couple of buddies, dropped a rod in and it popped before i could get the second one in, buddy played it to the boat, hook popped out 2 seconds before it was going to be in the net, he was bummed as it was a good 20Lb. fish. Nothing for a couple of hours so headed out into deeper water and bonked a 6 lb. hatch spring, one other pin pop out in 380 ft. of water fishing at 110ft. Came back in closer to shore and right before we had to roll up, prob within one minute fish on, - tubbed a nice 21 lb. white one. Buddy was happy again!! Funny tho' fish on in the first minute and fish on in the last minute, and the little out deep in-between. Had to roll-up as soon as we got that fish in the tub as one of my bud,s had a flight to catch. I said to him as he was playing the last fish we '' we might have to break it off or you gonna miss your flight'' - Again did not see much action, hopefully the bite was coming on when we left. Sounds like Dave did ok 1 - 3:30ish, tide was starting to push in when we left. Good-luck on the Sock-eye, -fill those freezer's!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3568.jpg
    IMG_3568.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 531
Back