Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

“Skippered” three lady guests from an engineering firm in the Consultants Derby today. We had a remarkable day!. Went to the Trap and after rounding a huge log boom being towed in the fog, we had a 16lb fish on board after 10 minutes. Then nothing for the next 3 hours. Then it lit up and in the remaining 2.5 hours we had a 19, an 18.5 (accurately weighed at the Prestige weigh in), another 16 and a 9lb fish. We also kept a clipped coho. All fish came to anchovy at 66’. Five springs is the most to my boat on a single day ever, and the guests were really appreciative. Below is my “Profisher” shots of the happy guests!! LOL, LOL.

(The fish "gods" were happy with the 4 ladies on board today; either that or it was the "sacrifice" one of them made with a pair of sunglasses over the side!!)

20140726Kneeling.jpg20140726Standing.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There you go. I new you had it in ya.Watch out boys,there's a new fish god in town and his name is Englishman!!

Whoa whoa whoa... he hasn't even tried the atlantic salmon teaser head yet...;)

Good for you - the rest of us struggled our arses off to catch single fish!

We won the non consultants division with a 28lb fish!

We went west today and got skunked. Didn't see a fish caught all day. With English stepping it up a notch, when people say Rollie had a good day, you'll say which one.

Edit: found Englishman listed as 3rd best skipper with 3 fish weighed

Great day for you englishman first of all you luck out and land the crew of pretty women then fill the tub!

Other highlights from the consultants leaderboard include a whopping 1.5 pound halibut (soul?) and multiple other cod species in the sub 3 pound catagory including a 1.4 pound lingcod?? (Undersize or maybe a greenling?)

Well now relaxing now hope you guys enjoyed our Consultants Derby this year around.... Was fun. We stayed out west today and got one spring 14lbs... And that as it.... Pretty slow...There were snaps here and there we lost probably three good strikes. But all in all a good day.

way to go Englishman, kudu, and anyone smart enough to head east today - that was definitely the ticket for the derby. We headed west and it was dead sea for us and I know many others - crazy how that is. Anyhow, big thanks to all the volunteers, all the skippers, all the guides involved for our derby. The event hit the major milestone (just) raising $100,000 exactly now in 9 years. We had a record raffle raising a little over $7300 and we raised $18,500 overall. $7k to Sooke Salmon Enhancement, $4k to Cowichan Lake Salmonid Enhancement Society, $4k to Esquimalt Angler, and $3.5k to Charters Creek. Nice to be able to spread the wealth around and hope to see it get put to good use. For those interested (sorry, not best setup for pictures as 'someone' did not provide us the scale stand early enough..lol) http://consultantsinvitational.com/2010-results/ (I just copy code with same URL - this is 2014, not 2010)

Edit: found Englishman listed as 3rd best skipper with 3 fish weighed how come you couldn't weigh in 4 as some other boats did?

Great day for you englishman first of all you luck out and land the crew of pretty women then fill the tub!

Other highlights from the consultants leaderboard include a whopping 1.5 pound halibut and multiple other cod species in the sub 3 pound catagory including a 1.4 pound lingcod?? (Undersize)
GDW...our rules are 1 fish weighed in only per person and there were 3 on his boat. We adopted this since this is a social derby, with no minimum legal size (yes, besides the lingcod that shouldn't have been kept). You have a pink year or a banner coho year, it was chaos with a weigh in taking far too long. We had to streamline and this was the best way to do it. No derby is perfect but we try our best!

Other highlights from the consultants leaderboard include a whopping 1.5 pound halibut and multiple other cod species in the sub 3 pound catagory including a 1.4 pound lingcod?? (Undersize)

The 1.5 hali was not a hali.... I cleaned it... It was a nice sole though...

The 1.4 ling was a greenling, Cleaned that too......

oh yeah...I could have looked at the picture. Thx for clarification. All good then. I think a big reason people weighed in small ones was because the prior 2 years, no bottom fish were weighed in so it was 2lb cod that ended up winning $500+ prizes!

Cool stuff it looks like everyone had a great day! Impressed with the funds raised. I like the cumulative weight catagory that sounds like a fun one that's missing from other derbies.

Excellent event again! Thanks to all who helped out! And a new entry to the fishing olymp - englishman! What a show he delivered!

Good job on the derby, always a fun time, didn't disappoint. We were among the west side skunk crew. Was also the usual "fun" navigating out in the thick fog...one of those mornings where happy to have both chart plotter and radar. Great to get boat back in the water, looks like fishing season starts once again.

Congrats on your boat load Englishman....every dog gets his day! Looks like you have graduated from the school of hard knocks!!

Today, circumstances allowed a quick 1 hour trip mid morning today. Out into the deeps for a coho, got 3 bites but all got off. Bites in 450 feet in front of harbour mouth, at 50 feet. Interesting that all 3 bites on purple haze flasher with bloody nose teaser. The other 3 rods with spoon, coho killer, and betsy/green glow not a sniff.

Fished Otter Pt to Sheringham, 8-1. Two small pinks,released. Hubby had a beauty on, felt like over 25 lbs. Took a ton of line,three big runs, then: fish bit through the line! Definately not a slipped knot, he checked right after the puny pink.

Who uses steel leader when spring fishing? What a heartbreaker, so little to get excited about this year...

I would appreciate any pointers... Thanks, Xena

Fished Otter Pt to Sheringham, 8-1. Two small pinks,released. Hubby had a beauty on, felt like over 25 lbs. Took a ton of line,three big runs, then: fish bit through the line! Definately not a slipped knot, he checked right after the puny pink.

Who uses steel leader when spring fishing? What a heartbreaker, so little to get excited about this year...

I would appreciate any pointers... Thanks, Xena
What size test are you using for leader?

Had a couple in the boat for the Derby and fished out front in the fog which at times was very thick. Unfortunately a lot of others did the same and it was a zoo in that fog with all those boats trying to fish the same spots.

We finally managed to get a 13.9 lber in the boat late in the AM fishing fast down 140’ on the flats which the wife played. We were lucky to get that as we did not see any caught other than a couple of small Coho once the fog burned off with all those boats and that was our only Salmon that stuck.

Interestingly when we got back in someone was weighing in a legitimate 30lber on the marina scale at SS which would have won the Derby had he been in it.

This is a great not overly competitive Derby with everyone getting a prize and a great atmosphere with the outdoor party and band and with the considerable funds raised going back to insuring there will be Salmon to catch in the future.

Back