Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Even with 40lb if it gets in the mouth and then fright trains ya.. those teeth are insane. Must have seen you out there Zena. I think a lot of guys run 40lb main but for leaders, 30lb test when running spoons but 40lb maxima for bait.

Finally got to fish out west!!! Thanks to Fishtank and his pimp boat. I finally got the skunk off me yea!! Had a nice big pin popper right off the bat that managed to eluded us. Released 4 socks and a small coho. Finally a beauty 17 right up top on a small spoon. Had a nice clear path out to the grounds with no fog as everywhere seemed socked in. Beauty day like glass. and the best part no headaches from breathing my stinky 2stroke. Going to be hard fishing on my boat now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful day out there today. Left the Marina at 8:30. We trolled between secretary and the head, found the fish at about 10. Double header, one didn't stick, other one ended up being a scrappy #10 white. Looped back. Double header, two nice coho, both released and unharmed. Stuck around the area as it seemed fishy and the tiniest shaker must have been 2 inches longer than the anchovy, also released unharmed. Big appetite for such a little guy. Then got a beauty # 20. To finish it off. All fish on anchovy, 60-70 on the rigger. Colors didn't seem to matter too much. If anyone sees me out there give me a wave. I'm in a little blue Arima, with some funky Downriggers on the back.
Cheers Boogieman

Here's my buddy with his 20
a2ujy6ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out to Otter from 2:30-6:30 to catch the current change. Counted 32 boats between 1st and 3rd rock at the peak. Saw one fish caught in that time, and 2 other boats reported having one each, though I didn't see them. Prospected around, going a little further out each pass...from 40ft depth out to 120+ but not a sniff and nothing to see on the sounder...

6 hours this am fished 3 rods with bait not even a touch. Fished herring and large chovies in numerous teaserheads. Did not see a salmon caught today.

On a side note got sick of trolling for nothing and took the 8wt fly rod and some needlefish flies and casted in the kelp beds while dad tossed a croc spoon on a trout rod. We caught and released over 25 fish including a bunch of black and white bass, 3 ling, 3 rock fish , 3 greenling and a sole. Very fun on the lighter gear.

KK

Way to go Englishman...you deserve to have a few days like that. Now that the hardest one is behind you ( the 1st one). I'm sure they will come more often from here on. Just don't touch the ones that have my name on them!!!! Lol
Hit 6 springs today and ended up with 4 in the boat 15-19.5 pounds and 3 pinks. Let a couple of sockeye go too. Much slower today and no real bite at all, just one bite then hours until the next. 2 from Muir and 2 from Otter, deep at Muir and shallow at Otter.

Fished all day boated 4 springs up to 24 lbs . We lost a nice one at the boat when another boat came along side me to ask how deep and the fish decided to run under the boat and snapped off . We did get the second one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday launched at Beecher at noon. Headed east and down to whirl. THen ran up to secretary and zig zagged back to Aldridge. Then did laps of becherbay until around 630. Tried shallow to deep. Worked close in and out deep. Worked the reefs and points. Emptied two tackle boxes. Nothing. Should have arrived earlier with the fleet

As we have all seen again in the Consultants Derby yesterday, fishing is about being in the right place at the right time. To prove that I still got it I persuaded my non-fishing wife tonight for an afternoon quickie at Otter. I had a hunch and after being wrong the couple of days before I needed to find out if I can still sense fish. It was lumpy out there and we did not see much going on but after 2 hours a nice spring finally found me and I enjoyed the battle with a mid 20 spring. Played it to the boat and let it go because I dont need it and it was just a test. Interestingly, I would have lost that fish beside that boat earlier without the stinger hook. When it came to the boat the first time and we got to admire the beauty I saw that it had the whole rig inhaled. Then suddenly it took off again and I felt a jerk like it got off for a split second. When I had it to the boat again and reached down to release I saw it was only hooked by the stinger in the lip - made for a very easy release. But without stinger I would likely not have seen this fish again.

A quickie and a fish. You still got it. LOL

We took part in the Consultants Invitational and had a great time. Many thanks to Jerrod and everyone else involved. I was really impressed with the the organization and attention to details.
You all run a great show and many, many thanks for the $4000.00 donation to the Cowichan Lake Salmonid Enhancement Society. This is a hard working group of people who will be thrilled with your generosity.
Audie

after minimal results yesterday morning at the lighthouse and muir ran down to south side of secretary where i picked up a mid teen white spring in 370 ft of water @ 66 feet on the rigger. bloody nose teaser head and silver betsey.

Were there any revisions to FN 0476 (which indicated management actions till July 18). Or were there no changes to the Chinook fishery in Areas 19 & 20 and DFO is late advising? Looking at the DFO site this morning, I see no update to this notice.

Police checking boats outside harbour this morning. Inside harbour just now. Make sure you have all your paperwork and safety gear folks :)

Fished 5-1 today started at otter for 5 pinks kept 2, 1 clipped coho 7lbs then followed ebb to point no point for nothin. Pick up first pass at otter 19 lbs spring Irish cream coho killer 37 feet

Fished Possession/Secretary from 7:30-11:30 to catch tide change. Not a sniff. 18 boats at peak, looked like lots around the corner too. Saw 2 fish caught, one humpy 3 guys were figuring out how to divide up...and one smallish coho. Me to the guy with the salmon in the net: "Good job, whadya catch?"...Him: "A nice little wild Coho". And then...Bonk...

Fished from 7:00am until 1:30pm today. Went to the Trap to see if any of the fish from Saturday were still around. Poked into all the same places but no dice, except for release of one unclipped coho. Ended up trolling right along to Beachy and back and still no fish. Saw only one net on the water. Decided to head out for coho at 11:00am. Put hoochy on shallow and decided to put a glow spoon down deeper “just in case” and headed out. Unbelievably, got a reel screaming hit on the spoon at 133’ on the rigger in 400’ of water. I kid you not! Turned out to be a hard fighting 17lb chinook. I was really taken by surprise by that one, especially after so little action. Later we got a small 6lb clipped chinook , same depth in the same 400’ of water. I guess that is fishing – full of surprises!!
Fantastic weather out there today so caught a great sun tan and watched an eagle take what looked like a rockfish from the surface, 30 yards from our boat.

Back