Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

I looked back on my records and it was opened aug 5th 4 years ago so maybe expect a notice at aug 4th at about 5 pm?? LOL

As i have let a few really nice ones go lately and sure wish i could keep them ....

It sure would be nice. I spent the duration of last big run Moose hunting and catching them in the river in Kamloops would love to get some nice fresh ones down here for a change.

KK

Put in a long day on the water yesterday morning and only a small Spring and a hatch Coho to show. Went out last night and rewarded just before dark:). Fished west and managed this mid 20's Spring. Nice to see that there are a few bigger fish around.

IMG_0571.jpg

Put in a long day on the water yesterday morning and only a small Spring and a hatch Coho to show. Went out last night and rewarded just before dark:). Fished west and managed this mid 20's Spring. Nice to see that there are a few bigger fish around.

View attachment 13253

Very nice. Some good ones being caught on this side of the Straits also.

I am converting to your rod style, bought two Batson 10 foot downrigger blanks yesterday (Batson is 10 miles away). I will be wrapping them in a few weeks, I am interested in how long the fore grips are on the two rods pictured. I also have several Peetz reels that will find use with the downriggers.

Thanks, John in Port Angeles.

Once you go to a centre pin reel and get adept at landing fish you will never go back to a gear driven reel.. You will have to learn how to crank like a son of a B at times but that is the fun. I tell my US clients that with a centre pin...you play the fish...not the reel...and that is what fishing is all about!!! Other advantages are line capacity and easy maintenance.

A little sloppy this morning once the full ebb kicked in but not bad seas or wind most of the morning...was a nice surprise considering the forecast. 4 springs from 15 to 20 pounds and 2 or 3 others hit and gone. Whales showed up about 9:30-10 going west and killed any bite in its tracks. Just Coho and a sock from 10 until noon.

A little sloppy this morning once the full ebb kicked in but not bad seas or wind most of the morning...was a nice surprise considering the forecast. 4 springs from 15 to 20 pounds and 2 or 3 others hit and gone. Whales showed up about 9:30-10 going west and killed any bite in its tracks. Just Coho and a sock from 10 until noon.

Thanks Profisher, kicking myself for calling off our trip last night. Were you east or west of Sooke?

Very nice looking fish carpeweekend, gotta love those long ,long days on the water and right when ya gonna roll up , BAMM!!

Fished secretary to possession all night 1 16 lbs green glow tko , 3 little ones and 2 cod 70' down right on bottom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishing was the best ive seen it this year multiple hook ups did back to back trips yesterday in the Am we got into about a dozen managed 5 (1 for me) in afternoon even more and landed 3 we let some go by the boat as they only wanted a few but manged a beauty 29# white male ....ALL colors were working and i was hitting them shallow then down deep there was just ALOT of fish to be had, one of the best bites ive seen in a long time .... maybe finally they have arrived

Attachments

• 11271.jpg
    11271.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 690
  • 11272.jpg
    11272.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 693
Holy crap Wolfie your teeners are starting to look like mid 20's when you hold them! Pretty soon you will be able to make 25's into tyees like me ;)

Nice haul!

-KK

Went out today from 5:30 to 9:00. Fished possession in the fog. Caught two pinks and had a couple of strikes that was it for us. First time that I have caught pinks in the even year out here, I wonder if this is going to be a regular thing. It seemed to be a decent school, the two we had were a double header. They were about 5 to 6 lbs. We released them.

Fishing was the best ive seen it this year multiple hook ups did back to back trips yesterday in the Am we got into about a dozen managed 5 (1 for me) in afternoon even more and landed 3 we let some go by the boat as they only wanted a few but manged a beauty 29# white male ....ALL colors were working and i was hitting them shallow then down deep there was just ALOT of fish to be had, one of the best bites ive seen in a long time .... maybe finally they have arrived

Started next to you Roy yesterday morning...score was 2 for you and none for me...didnt like that all too much. Figured your karma was attracting them to you so I left and went to Muir. Once there it was game on (no Roy karma whew) and there was only 3 or 4 boat there at the time. Landed 6 between 9-11:30 and let go 2 under 15. Paid off since the last one was a runner and peeled line like crazy, so much fun and once at the boat was an easy net, that one was 25, also kept 24,15,11 for the 2 of us on the boat. Only had to let 1 nice sockeye go, no other small stuff.

All bait, between 50-80, all gear worked, was a fun day
Not near as active as last year but the freezer is darn near full much like last year.

Caught 2 pinks today off of Aldridge, was not expecting them at all. Threw them back and the girl friend got a nice 13 lb just as I was thinking of going home

Word on the street is that a certain English fella had a bit of a day... I will wait for his report
smiley95.gif

And we had a few humpys come across the cleaning table for the Consultants derby

The 'ell I just phoned you

Ive had the undertow album cranked for the past 25 mins im just starting to drift out. Truly thought the ringing was just in my head. My bad :p

Back