Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Funny comment about feeling bad for it carrying the weight around considering the alternative is to kill it. I'm sure it will be just fine and is happy to be alive with your gear in its face instead of getting the harpoon.

Hopefully everyone takes extreme caution with the big fish truth is your probably more likely to get injured trying to bring it on board vs. release it when all you really need to do us cut the line. Get over your $1 hook and cut the line (I'm speaking in general not to tailspin who has ample big fish experience).

Also you can use the precautionary principal if it looks like it might be over release it. Easier said then done I know but if you really want to measure a big one and/or get your hooks back put a tail rope on that Hali. Safety first.

If somebody does get hurt take responsibility for your part in it don't just blame the regs again all you need to do is cut the line don't mess around if your not capable, confident and willing to accept the risk.

Im really trying to stay off here, but GDW i would feel better putting that fish to use than to allow it to suffer a miserable slow death. Is cut the line and leave the hook the answer? Rigged a mack wih tandem singles, both were coming out its butt, would it live if simply cut? Tough call, and a silly reg. I get the reasoning behind it, but don't agree it as the best choice. Ill shut up now, not trying to fire up anyone here, just saying. A tail rope on an 80- 100 lber, that i would love to see! this aint wicked tuna! LOL. Have a good season Spin Out!

The stupidest rule ever created so far by dfo, but hey they will out do themselves eventually. I wonder if dfo has a % of dead fish released (or fish that will not survive release)that will be added to the recreational total allowable catch?

While you can't avoid an oversize entirely you can certainly reduce the odds. When I'm up in Nootka this July I won't be anchored up in the hog holes. I will drift the chicken ranch and be happy with a quick limit for all on board and then back to fishing for salmon.

My post wasnt directed at tailspin I even noted that to try to avoid confusion. Do you need help reading jackel clearly you didn't get it all.

Whine whine whine we could be closed right now instead I see hundreds of guys out fishing for that I am greatfull. Maybe I'm the only one?

The reg is a stupid one for sure, I think it just as stupid of them to not have a mandatory circle hook reg in it though. Hearing comments of guys using big trebles with a single trailing, I would hope some would realize it would be better on the fish with a circle, I know they sometimes can go deep also but the chances for a cleaner hook up and better release make sense.

Hey guys

looking for a place to fish this weekend and Sooke is a place I have never been but would like to try.Is there much activity this time of year?

Went out this morning for a couple of hours to help break in my buddys new ThunderJet and he got to christen his new rod as well with a 15 lb hatch off of the Bedfords at 120 ft on chovie. PS the spring coughed up a 6 inch herring.

Went out yesturday for a few hours, beautty evening on the water, no fish for me though, trolled the bluffs to trailer park with chovie on the bottom,

Went out yesterday great weather, headed out west for two small halis, 16, 18 lbs. Once we hit the spot took about 30 minutes

We tried early for Hally straight out from Pedder/ race rocks area. Lots of boats everywhere and no luck for us. Off to Constance for the 2nd half of the day. It was also quite busy, no luck. Back to William and skunked again. Just not our day today. But I was able to catch a good farmers sunburn! Absolutely beautiful day. It felt like August.

We tried early for Hally straight out from Pedder/ race rocks area. Lots of boats everywhere and no luck for us. Off to Constance for the 2nd half of the day. It was also quite busy, no luck. Back to William and skunked again. Just not our day today. But I was able to catch a good farmers sunburn! Absolutely beautiful day. It felt like August.

stick and stay, make it pay. Don't bounce so much. If you spend hours building a scent trail you don't want to pick up and start all over, hold tight and the fish usually show up.

Back