Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Hi All I have a 18' Double Eagle with lowrance x5 and charts. i have fished many spots on the Island and even guided areas a few years for different resorts with the exception of the south Victoria and sooke areas. Im really wanting to do some halibut fishing and see by the posts this is the time of year and area to go try.This is a thing I would like to try once or twice a year at most so I wouldn't be down fishing the spot out. My problem is I really have no idea were to go; as I see all the post of such and such rock or point. To me its like saying my hot spot is and if you've never been there and its not on a chart you go where the heck is that???? So what im looking for as i can't afford to pay a guide to go out. Is to find someone who knows the area but maybe no longer has a boat and may be will to go out with me to show me some spots or I'am will to chip in for gas if you would rather use your boat. Please PM me. I have sundays free and can go even this easter weekend.
Thanks in Advance for your consideration!

Dave

Another great morning right out front from the harbour. Six springs all from 7 to 9 pounds. Right on the bottom with anchovy. Even pulled up my first nice size octopus. He was hanging onto my downrigger fin lead as I brought it up to clear it while we played a fish. Got him in the net before he let go. Crabbing was ok but not great. Nice flat water again, ebb current was really pulling hard both this morning and yesterday morning.

Yes $10. There is a box on the side of the small building beside the turn around area.

F/A,
the he launch is free, but all the charges go to parking your trunk. the trailer is free and so is your tow vehicle.

seriously, I hope that everyone pays when the launch is using the honour system, as we need more access to the water for the weekend warriors. It's the cost of boating/fishing that we all have to cover off

bruce

The town will soon be putting the collection duties out to to tender (probably Jocks Dock) with the overflow parking going to jocks dock It has been sugested by some that we could probably go to a Esquimalt anglers type of system where the members pay a flat fee of say $40 and members help police the remaing payers Heaven forbid you come back from fishing one day and find a boot on your trailer LOL From the people who are collecting the money now it has been said that way more people are using the ramp than paying Maybe the Sooke Anglers assocation could get a cleaning station and a washroom Maybe we need a new thread for this some one let me know

Released the first large hali of the season this morning at around 9 am. The fish was on a circle hook which we were able to remove but not before tearing the corner of the mouth up a bit. The salmon belly strip shown on the hook is more than a foot long.

...Rob

Attachments

• 90+ hali 001.jpg
    90+ hali 001.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 594
The fish was around 5 feet long, Dragos and I estimated 90 to 100 lbs. We did not need to try to measure it as it was easily more than a foot longer than my measuring string I made.

...Rob

Here is a picture of a Halibut I caught on Monday. I am thankfull that the peson before me practiced catch and release

DblHeader.jpg

it's missing an eye. I assume injuries from a release job who knows how many years ago. It looked nasty but it was a completely healed scar from it's eye down to it's lip. The fish was fine and obviously still feeding. So don't worry about the torn mouth Rob she will be just fine!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope DFO has a read!

We attempted a clean release on one 148cm or so, went to put tape down and it was gone, spreader, ball, circle hook and all. Snapparoo, rod straight up, line sailing in the wind. What a shame to think that fish is on a ball and chain. It was sloppy out and went ape **** the first time we had it measuring distance away. Think it hit a trim tab?

We also found out real quick as expected that even releasing chickens from a circle is no easy task. What a simple minded idea this slot is! Not even going to think of fishing any of the large fish spots. Hard to be excited about the derby. Good to see the big blue Commercial guy laying skates all over though!

Good Pic Rob!

Your right Justin, you may as well just send the coordinates for the big fish to me and stop fishing them.

Like to have seen video of the measure and attempted release.
Someone's going to get hurt out there aside from the hali.

Stupid regs!

Tips

Funny comment about feeling bad for it carrying the weight around considering the alternative is to kill it. I'm sure it will be just fine and is happy to be alive with your gear in its face instead of getting the harpoon.

Hopefully everyone takes extreme caution with the big fish truth is your probably more likely to get injured trying to bring it on board vs. release it when all you really need to do us cut the line. Get over your $1 hook and cut the line (I'm speaking in general not to tailspin who has ample big fish experience).

Also you can use the precautionary principal if it looks like it might be over release it. Easier said then done I know but if you really want to measure a big one and/or get your hooks back put a tail rope on that Hali. Safety first.

If somebody does get hurt take responsibility for your part in it don't just blame the regs again all you need to do is cut the line don't mess around if your not capable, confident and willing to accept the risk.

That... or ...
don't make stupid regulations to promote a program for buying quota and supporting lodges fishing chicken farms.

Tips

Back