Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

My old Sooke fishing partner and his son are over from Vancouver. For years Jeff took me out off Sooke in his 17 footer when I did not have a boat and taught me how to fish Sooke. Jeff fished Sooke for decades and I am sure many of you know him. Very old school, manual blue riggers and Peetz reels and rods with lift off two lb balls hanging from a swivel. The technology is a lot more fun now. His health is not good so I am happy to be getting them out for a couple of days and return the favour for all the years he took me. We had a good day out front. Lost two big screamers, but they did manage to put a 27.5 lb Chinook in the boat on glow plastic and a 17.5 lber on anchovie. What a great year this is and probably the best July in 10 years.

PS EM - Not at Otter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another FINE day have a group trip thats 3 years running now, there making a derby out of it with trophies and prizes and NOT at Otter all over again.14 to 24 lbers and pinks of course

Attachments

• DSCN3460.jpg
    DSCN3460.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 454
Nice job Wolf. Smiling faces says it all.

BTW, are you still getting a fair amount of clipped springs ??? Looks like a few in the pic are clipped, but kinda hard to tell with my old eyesight.

Is my memory correct? The day we clipped coho, did they tell us that the US told us we were not allowed to clip any of our hatchery Chinook?

Is my memory correct? The day we clipped coho, did they tell us that the US told us we were not allowed to clip any of our hatchery Chinook?
That's right xena--i don't get that one.
T2

YES still getting lots of clipped as you can see by the pics and did notice another charter guy he had 4 springs and 3 of them were clipped,
Sooke is really good and has been for a while this is by far one of the better years ive seen , and please take a kid fishing....nows the time pinks are getting bigger and bigger some are pushing over 10 lbs.

Wolf

Fishing is on fire in Sooke right now!! Had multiple double headers of springs during the last few trips. The largest Chinook pushed well past 30 lbs and multiple salmon over the 20 lb mark! Wolf has it right, if you want to get your kids out for some fast action for salmon and have a fishing partner for life head out to Sooke and have some fun!!!

Get Ready for a Fight! Sooke Slabs are fighters!!!!!

Attachments

• 402830_4519987402801_1096541407_n.jpg
    402830_4519987402801_1096541407_n.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 682
Nice fish, congrats on such a monster spring. Which area has been best for springs, thinking to hit otter tomorrow. We fished secretary to Beecher and only hit pinks today. Tried for a Hali at race rocks but no luck.

That's right xena--i don't get that one.
T2
its not about the US - its about DFO and then wanting the easy ride. If they make sure no CAD springs are clipped w/tag, if they get a buzz, great, if they don't, they determine it as American....nothing more

Sometimes its best to think outside the box and fish deep for the big ones, we hit this one trolling in 150' of water with our gear down 135' on the rigger. Green glow hootchies and matching flashers were the key lately. Anchovies trolled with army truck teaser heads also caught some nice ones recently. Head down to Eagle Eye and ask what the guides are using and stock up on the hot lures to get into the game for the big ones!!

Sometimes its best to think outside the box and fish deep for the big ones, we hit this one trolling in 150' of water with our gear down 135' on the rigger. Green glow hootchies and matching flashers were the key lately. Anchovies trolled with army truck teaser heads also caught some nice ones recently. Head down to Eagle Eye and ask what the guides are using and stock up on the hot lures to get into the game for the big ones!!
i agree--I got a 20 lb fish at the head at 130 ft on the rigger yesterday.
T2

Wow, you guys are doing really well. Congrats.

I have had two chinook at similar depths in the same depth of water this past few weeks but mine were only 11lb and 13lb. I thought they were early winters....LOL

The out of the box epiphany came to me a few years back when my son caught a big northern off Sooke. Over 20 lbs but wild and no retention at that time. 120 feet deep! I see big fish all over the place on my sounder sitting on the bottom, especially at break of light. Doesn't seem right to go down to 120 feet at sunrise.

Wow second 50lb in the last few years from the trap if true.

That $20,000 or whatever it is for a fish over 52 pounds in the bite me derby might be at risk this year some hogs still to be caught for sure.

Yup. I saw the pic...huge. A guy I work with caught it. His dad told me they just put the rod down and were working on getting the 2nd rod in when it hit.

A guy named Rick? My buddy is just going to check it out now. Will send pic later.

Fished 8-1 no springs lots of pinks, lost two nice ones and got a nice keeper ling.

Back