Smelt Fishing in Vancouver

the fog ducker

Fellas

My favorite table fish , use to fish with the old man down at Spanish/Rec Beaches as a knee high , miss those day's . Went and checked out the regs , looks like we still can fish them certain nights of the week , and year , I have been out twice with limited success , i have a spot that kicked a few years ago on the N Shore , private property , a house we built , it was slow this year , i know a warm night with a good high tide is usually key , and i think before the June 15th closure is better than after the Aug 15th opening , past couple weeks have not been good for me.

How are any of you doing , not looking for ur favorite beach or spot , but a rough idea of some areas , and your success ,

i know alot of you don't post , email me if ya like , we can exchange sum info

Cheers
Felix - FD...;)

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

Hey Fog,
I have never fished for smelts, but I do walk the dog along Acadia Beach. Its just west of Spanish banks between spanish and wreck. There is a parking lot on Marine drive just past the last Spanish banks about 500 yards up the hill towards UBC on the left. Park there and walk left. I do see the odd old timer down there with the net, but when asked they always complain that it isn't what it used to be.
Are those fish good to eat? They seem like they would be super boney.

Also, I think this is a 'clothing optional' stretch of beach and it appears to be mostly men, so be prepared to see some extra 'junk' on the beach...although mostly bucks, there is the occasional doe!

nice stretch of Vancouver though...

lol Wish

Yeah , know the area , fished there as a kid , was a good at one time , i try to stay away from there, Sausage fest City , parking is a bit of a headache as well , the " Doe`s " lol , yeah not many , the ones there typically have 3 beards like Osamas , 1 under each arm , and one in the mid section , " You Know What I'm Saya'n " maybe a 4th , depending on her Orgin , lol....

thanks for the info ,,,;)

cmon guy`s , give me sumting

FD...:D

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

Have seen very little action from Smelts around the Bay this year if they're around I usually see them swimming/finning/spawning.

Might be the colder/clearer water that's been around this summer been a real challenge to get in a swim the past week or so.

Thanks Dogbreath

Anyone ever see people fishing for smelts in whiterock ?

quote:Originally posted by Dogbreath

Have seen very little action from Smelts around the Bay this year if they're around I usually see them swimming/finning/spawning.

Might be the colder/clearer water that's been around this summer been a real challenge to get in a swim the past week or so.

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

hey Rob

Yeah there real nice , mom debones them , butterfly , light coat a flower , quick fry in a pan , canola ,dash with salt when done , Dalish , got some good tips , see if i can bring ya a few next trip ,

Rob , 2 visits ago , we left a bag of some gear there , thinkin hali stuff , did ya maybe put it aside for me , Didi just reminded me ,no big deal, spreaders and leaders i thinks , havin afew with her tnite

thx bro , ur gear kicked big time for me again , thx ,

Felix..;)

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

Back