Surf Smelt fishing from a boat around Vancouver.

Paravoffka

Hi everyone and happy new year.

I have found lots of fun catching herring using sabiki rig. Herring goes as salmon bait and works great. Don't need to go to store for anchovies. However I have a question - is it possible to catch surf smelt using sabiki? If yes which month is better and were preferably to fish for it? I'd like to do it from a boat.

Also herring related question. If I'm interested in bigger size of the herring. Which time of year I can find the biggest one? My buddy makes it as pickles, so I have another mission in terms of herring LoL. :D

Hi everyone and happy new year.

I have found lots of fun catching herring using sabiki rig. Herring goes as salmon bait and works great. Don't need to go to store for anchovies. However I have a question - is it possible to catch surf smelt using sabiki? If yes which month is better and were preferably to fish for it? I'd like to do it from a boat.

Also herring related question. If I'm interested in bigger size of the herring. Which time of year I can find the biggest one? My buddy makes it as pickles, so I have another mission in terms of herring LoL. :D
I’m curious about fishing herring. Care to share some basic tips?

Any time you see bait on your screen, drop a sabiki and you'll fill a pail in no time. We like to anchor up in bays and do it for fun. The kids love it.
thanks foe sharing the info

Yeah I was thinking of doing it for fun for kids.

do you use any bait in the sabiki?

how heavy of a weight do you use?

do you need a jigging action or just let the rig sit there?

I use 6 or 8 oz weights but it doesn't really matter. You don't need bait, the little green scale things are the lure. Some guys put little bits of herring on them though for catching bigger fish. Jig, don't jig, doesn't seem to matter. If you see kids fishing for shiners at a dock, throw one of these down and watch them be amazed. It's too easy.

Last edited:
I use 6 or 8 oz weights but it doesn't really matter. You don't need bait, the little green scale things are the lure. Some guys put little bits of herring on them though for catching bigger fish. Jig, don't jig, doesn't seem to matter. If you see kids fishing for shiners at a dock, throw one of these down and watch them be amazed. It's too easy.
Will do! thanks again for the info. My little 5 year old would really love it.

Back