Single vs tandom set-up for hochies

C

cascadeboats

What works best a single hook or tandom hooks?
I have never used a single set-up. How do you do you rig it up? What size hook and what type of hook do you use?

I believe the question is regarding hootchies not bait.

I bounce back and forth from tandom singles and one single hook. I am leaning towards a single because you can put a swivel on the hook and I have had great success with keeping fish on the hook with this setup. Also I can retie the leaders real quick with 1 simple knot. Snelled tandom leaders always scare me because they don't get retied often enough.

Just to fire up the old debate of tandem trebles...[}:)]
Leave a little "sport" in "sport fishing" If you are loosing fish on 1 treble maybe work on your technique of playing fish.[:0]

Tips

quote:Originally posted by Tips Up

I believe the question is regarding hootchies not bait.

I bounce back and forth from tandom singles and one single hook. I am leaning towards a single because you can put a swivel on the hook and I have had great success with keeping fish on the hook with this setup. Also I can retie the leaders real quick with 1 simple knot. Snelled tandom leaders always scare me because they don't get retied often enough.

Just to fire up the old debate of tandem trebles...[}:)]
Leave a little "sport" in "sport fishing" If you are loosing fish on 1 treble maybe work on your technique of playing fish.[:0]

Tips

Personally don't believe I need help playing fish Tips, just prefer to land more fish than loose...I'm just funny that way.[:eek:)]

Two points about tandem trebs with bait (sorry to stray off topic cascadeboats). More often then not, the trailer is more solidly hooked then the front hook and secondly, with the use of barbless, two seperate trebs that dig in work together to prevent the other from backing out.

Maybe you should check to see if those barbs are clipped.[?]

I understand I always use the store brought rigs with double hooks already set up I just add a hoochie- incidently I use cut straws to keep em tidy in the tackle box

I personally have never noticed which hook gets em I'm just too happy to get em in the boat

I say tandem! Then again it depends on the bite.
I had a guide in Campell River last year and I told him I wanted him to rig tandem due to the timid bites. I had very few hits (5 in 8 hours) and I looked at the bait after every hit. It was obvious that the bite was just below the top hook. Had there been a trailer, I believe that I could have limited out.
The guide didn't add a hook, the manager of the resort more than made up for his poor judgement.

Thanks for the link, Tomic. I'm a freshwater fishinman and a saltwater rookie. I've picked up tons of good tips lurkin on this forum for the past few weeks. We're picking up a boat in Comox on Saturday and heading North where we'll be floundering around for fish for a week and sipping the local brew. Since I've been reading this forum, I've emptied about half my tackle box out in anticipation of acquiring hoochies and tomics and things like that. I'm sure I'll find somebody that'll point them out to me when I get into town.

Thanks again to all for the collective insight and the great ongoing discussion.

Mikl (swabbie)

When we caught our 37 lb'r in renfrew last weekend, the hook that got him was the single gammie trailer that was lodged in the side of his mouth. There is no doubt that trailers work, we would probably have missed this one if we used a single setup.:):):)

On your hootchies, or even on anchovies, try using a CIRCLE HOOK. You can use a 4/0 with a #1 trailer, but do try circle hooks. You do not lose fish from a hook falling out, no matter what they do on top of the water.

I'm going to be out in the "Mistress" out of Tuta Marina at Nootka Sound last week of July, if anyone wants to see what I am talking about.

Many have accused me of fishing with barbs. Many have I converted to Circle hooks.

Drewski

Two years ago sept my brother & I were fishing off sandhead off the south Fraser. We nailed a good sized chinook followed by a much bigger 300 plus lb seal. It took us about 40 minutes before we even realised we'd hooked a seal (they were all over the place) Short of it was that we licked that seal. Took us about an hour & 15 minutes. Seal was wasted & finally let go about 15 ft from the boat.I was using a shakespear tuna ugly stick, a penn 3000 deep sea somethin or other with 40 lb test & a 30 lb store bought double hoochie. Both hooks were buried in the roof of the fishes mouth. Left gill plate on the fish was tore up some but other then that the fish was perfect. Says something for doubles!!!

Back