Sidney Report

Does anyone have any news on the Sidney area as of late. I am planning to head out tomorrow. I was going to try Wayne rock & Arbutus Island area. Any suggestions?

It's a bit of a search mission this time of year. Try both and get back to us. Might be a popular spot this winter if things get shut down from Sooke to Vic.

Tournament Proven !

It's a long shot but the chum are going through there now. Maybe slow troll and little squirts might work like Browns Bay. Look for them finning. The Red Can or Powder Wharf might start holding winters.

quote:Originally posted by Fins -n- Skins
Might be a popular spot this winter if things get shut down from Sooke to Vic.

Tournament Proven !

If DFO in their wisdom, decide to close the winter springs
there will be no salt water fishery at all.:(
salmon, halibut and cod all closed ??? what a disaster

Well I struck out today. The wind picked up in the after noon. Had a good strike in the am at Arbutus Island. Fish showing on the sounder. Then went to Morsby island. No luck there. Chum were breaking the surface near Saltspring. I will wait till Nov 1st for Coho in Cow bay.

Couple of hits sunday afternoon at saanichton spit. Only had time for a single pass. Watch out for crab traps with crappy bouys, there was one there with just a milk jug [xx(]

Hi,everyone,I'm new to fishing and have a couple of questions if that's alright? First off,where are some good places near Sydney to fish,and secondly,why are winter springs found in deeper water than summer springs?
Thanks,crabby.

Well first its Sidney not Sydney, next and more important its because the feed in Sidney stays almost on the bottom.

Has anyone fished the Sidney area in the past few days? Island Outfitters are talking it up pretty good. Can anyone verify?
Sidney
Salmon fishing was EXCELLENT once again this past week. Nice springs up to 15 lbs have been caught near Sidney Spit, Coal Island and Moresby Island. Some of the old timers are saying that the fishing recently has been as good as it’s ever been. Also, a lot of the fish have been quite shallow recently, 40 to 50 feet, and close to shore. There has been bait balls in the area and birds working the bait. Small anchovies or Tiny Strip have been the best natural bait. Spoons have been good recently with Green and Glow colors producing best. The best soft plastic lures to use for springs now are Glo Below, Pistachio and Purple Haze Squirts.

Sidney is appealing when the winds are blowin out west
Thanks

Haven't been out there myself but from those that have now is the time to fish there.
Buddy of mine was off coal island last weekend and said the sounder was lit up with them

Hooch
swiftsurehaliaug07-1.jpg

Thought it was time to revive this thread.
Joined six other boats for an afternoon fish off the Powderwharf.
Two misses and two in the boat- one 20 and one 25.Nice fat fish full of energy.Watched one guy battle a seal for about half an hour for his fish.Hope he won.
A great day of fishing for Sidney

In Your Face slot limit!!

Hooch
swiftsurehaliaug07-1.jpg

Some buddies of mine have been doing great over there.They said lots of fish 12-28lbs no slot size and usualy calm.They mentioned the powder wharf,the spit,and the humps off darcy is where they are finding them.

Hummmmmm.

little tardy on the report but here it is for the 24th

Much slower day-the current was moving a lot more. Managed one small one with a long line release.
Got a feeling that a late afternoon-early evening fish is a little more productive.
Tiny strip is the ticket, and keep it on the bottom.
Hopefully they will be around a bit longer, I'm not done looking for them.

Hooch
swiftsurehaliaug07-1.jpg

Changed a 3-day Sooke trip to Sidney to avoid slot restrictions, and for nicer overall water. First weekend in June, Friday through Sunday, staying north Saanich, prawns, salmon off Sidney......I'd appreciate any pointers. I've been gleaning hard, primarily on this site, but would take any pointers, and would love to hear reports from this weekend, if only to 'wet my whistle'?

PM or reply, I'd love to hear from you.

Back