Shipping Costs

BigBird007

Crew Member
Hello

Looking at a boat in Florida, intrested in what people have paid to ship a boat from Florida to Bellingham. 23 foot boat, 6000 lbs on a newer trailer.

I have done the uShip estimate online and it's $2200 - $5300. Is 2200 a real number or am realisticly looking at closer to 5000?

I have bought a few boats from the states but never shipped one.

Thanks for any feedback.

I paid Uship $964.71 to ship a truck from West Virginia to Sumas, Washington and $975 from Irving Texas to Washington. Could a low bed take more then two boats and trailers at a time? 3000 plus miles and 47 hours of driving, might be tough to do if you only have 1-2 boats, but I think they make money by picking up multiple things on the way.

I beleive a lot of the bids on Uship are brokers who then resell it to independent drivers. This type of business http://diversity-transport.com/load-board/ If you are paying $2200 minus the broker fee, most truckers will likely pass on it and you could be waiting a couple of weeks until it ships, if it does at all. In the winter is they may drive it through tons of storms and it could be pretty dirty when it turns up.

$2,200 sounds a bit low, but maybe doable considering you are looking at boat that is already on a trailer and not over sized. For that combo, I think $1/mile would be about what you'd be looking to pay - but this is just my estimate. I've recently been looking at boats as well and have a boat under contract (going through survey and inspections currently) that will be coming from the east coast. The quotes that I got were ranged from $2 - $3 /mile, but that is for a ~10k lb boat with 10'6" beam being moved on the shipper's trailer.

Make sure the shipper is licensed and certified and has the appropriate insurance. Definitely get a thorough inspection done on the trailer as well and perhaps even have an extra wheel and bearing setup ready to go in case something goes wrong enroute.

Check out thehulltruth.com - there is some good info and recommendations on there. Assuming my purchase goes through I'll be using Flynn Marine; they weren't the cheapest, but after speaking with Caj there and checking out their website and reviews on uShip I didn't have any concerns.

I paid 3400 from hilton head to Blaine, Cap at DNR transport did my grady and a buddies from down past West Palm beach for 3900 IIRC ,
great guy lots of positives

Last edited:
Cost me 1500usd to drive down to florida and pull my boat home, that was in 2010.
No way I would buy a boat without a sea trial.......

Thanks for the feedback!

I hesitated tooooooo long on the boat I was looking at and it sold. I will keep looking and hopefully find something closer to home. I have my heart set on a late 90's early 2000's 23 foot Boston Whaler Conquest. US exchange and not much love of OptiMax power making it an interesting search!

Cheers

I paid (via Uship) $2500 CAD earlier this year to pull a 17.5' aluminum from New Jersey to Blaine.

Back