New to me 16.5 Double Eagle... needs a few items

Update... Preseason maintenance revealed my lower end is no good. Tooth missing on reverse gear and accompanying damage.

Can anyone suggest some boat graveyards/hoarders that may have a lower unit from a mid 70s 4cyl mercury outboard? Repowering is not in the budget this year (wedding to pay for).

Hoping to be on the water soon!!

Seaworthy Marine likely won't have what you looking for. I know where to find likely but they don't ship :( but if it comes down to it, it may be an option. I will PM you....

Yes talked to seaworthy, they put me in touch with another fellow on the island who thinks he might have one but didn't seem open to shipping... There's one on eBay and the seller says he will ship to Canada for 500us including shipping.... Its from an 85hp n looks to be exactly the same as I have. The local repair guy who assessed my motor says he can get one from the island for 500$ plus shipping but its a 2:1 and my info says the 4cylinder motors of this vintage use 2.3:1 so I'd have to reprop.... I'm leaning towards the eBay unit since its from Iowa which means its never seen salt and from the pictures has no corrosion... seems I'm looking at 500$ at least one way or another

Sent from my SGH-T899M using Tapatalk

Well I lucked out contacted a guy sellin one on Craigslist for 90$! Recent water pump n leg oil.... Looks good in the pics. Turns out he's got friends comin to up here to kitimat next week.... The fish gods are with me on this one!

Didn't read all the replies about seating but I have a 16 foot 1982 DE. I replaced the drivers seat with a pedestal and will soon switch out the other sleeper for one of the bench seats that have a cooler built in the base. I figure this is a good option as it will add storage space while still allowing me to have 2 people sit on that side. Enjoy, mines been great just try and keep as much weight forward as you can.

Cheers

I took out the sleeper seats and put three pedestals in. Had a stand up top made with clear lexan windshield so I can sit high with a good field of vision. Weight up front too as I have a 115 4 stroke and a 9.9 kicker so it tends to sit a bit low. Great fishing boat

Thanks for the ideas!

Update: scored a lower unit off Craigslist in van for $150 with a very recent water pump and seal change. Much better condition than my original. Bolted right up and headed for the lake to test and tune.... No tuning requires, fires right up and shifts perfect, runs smoother than ever. Very happy for 150$.

Will be hopefully starting on buffing the hull to remove the built up oxidation this weekend. I don't own a power buffer.... Yet...

Any tips or advice on cleaning up the hull are welcome!

Thanks

Don't get a simoniz buffer from crappy tire. I went through a 10" buffer and then the angle grinder style buffer. Both broke after minimal use. My boat is still not finished but one side looks good. Crappy tire does sell the meguiars oxidation remover in the boating section. It' has the number 49 on the top left corner and is called oxidation remover. I was told to use that stuff from a glass man that did a few small repairs tom my boat.

If you want a showroom finish on your boat, then dont cheap out on the buffer. I use a makita angle polisher with a wool mop. You can find half decent ones for less, the important part is that you can really lean into the surface without slowing the rpm's too much. If you have fairly heavy oxidization, then you want a fairly aggressive cutting compound, something rated to take out p1200 scratches. I would highly recommend 3m imperial finish. Cuts very well, and also polishes as you work it in,eliminating the need for multi-step finishing systems. NOT to be used for slight hazing!
Or you can hire my friend to do it. He just finished my boat that looked like a dirty sock. Dont have the before, but here's an after

Attachments

• P1010478.jpg
    P1010478.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 192
what I use is Makita variable speed buffer step 1- wool pad and meguiars 49 oxidation remover, step 2- foam pad meguiars 45 polish,step 3 meguiars 56 pure wax with new foam pad. I do step 3 twice. my boat looks like it just came off the showroom floor

Thanks for the advice. I don't need perfect, but the previous owner I don't think ever buffed or waxes let alone washed the boat and the classic double eagle orange on top is very chalky. The hull doesn't show too bad but has some brown spots here and there.

Back