Sharing Costs With Buddies

I've spent about 20 hrs so far this weekend under my boat taking off bottom paint...and will be at it all day tomorrow as well. It's given me a lot of time to think ;)

Traditionally, if I ask a buddy to go out locally for an evening or morning, I refuse money from them...I'd be going anyway and asked them to come along. On weekend trips I've always split the costs equally among everyone on board (myself included).
But today got me thinking...I'm heading out for 4 days next week with 3 buddies on my boat in a group of about 20 for our annual guys trip...if these 3 weren't going with me I've got a long list of guys who would love to take their place. I know how the next few days are gonna play out...i'll be hitting the stores to stock up on gear and up until midnight every night preparing my boat and gear for the coming slaughter while they peacefully sleep in their beds...why the f#$% should I be paying a dime for this trip?
I'm seriously considering letting them know that we're doing things a little different from now on and they'll be splitting the gas bill between them...I see Wolf agrees with me, what do others think? With the amount of time and money that goes into preparing for, and cleaning up after a trip like this, it seems more than fair.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say you are completely right, DOF , I have seen it before first hand, then the weekend over and everyone is in a big hurry n need to grab their fish out of the cooler n split , spliting the fuel cost should be the very least worry to them, you should set down some ground rules, any lost gear gets covered by whoever loses it, whenever some one takes me fishing i not only offer but insist on paying for fuel and launch at the very least, if it is a three day trip the cost of camping,lodging,fuel,beer,launching,food,tackle ,bait and any other cost should be split up between the other three parties. If any of them have a problem then they should look at pricing a three day charter maybe then they will think better of flipping for the bill. After all is said and done your still the one with the biggest bill which is the cost of owning the boat, maintenance ,yearly tune-ups ,insurance and any other boating cost we know there are many. Tell it to them straight your not bein a dick, if they don't like it tell them they can wave at you from the beach!

Yes it is fair but how often do you want to fish. It's your boat and I am in the same position as you but if I didn't split the cost 3 ways how often would I go? It's your boat so I assume you call the shots on where you go and when-that's worth something. If one of these guys ticks you off-he doesn't get invited again. That's worth something-you call the shots on who goes. If I ask for help with stuff on the boat-one of my guys will help me but end of the day I am the most capable so I do it. But do we ask? My guys clean the boat inside and out-better than I would the day after we get back leaving me to do tackle or engine maintenance. I know what goes through your head because it goes thru mine-I do usually 10 to 12 major (2 to 3 night) trips a year-you need good guys to do that many. So if I have to pay a third then that's what I'll do- I get to fish my big comfortable well equipped boat, catch lots of fish where I want to,and have a good time. You only come this way once so enjoy yourself. If you want to fish and make money or break even-become a guide-then you'll really be B@tchin!!

I'd much rather fish with a friend than fish alone. When I I cite someone to fish with me down here (puget sound), its always a day trip. I let them know that the launch fee is theirs and they get to help with the wash down after. I figure that I'm fishing anyways and that the gas is the same whether they come or not! Also, in WA we can only fish one rod per angler so bringing a friend increases the odds. I like to clean the fish, and we always split the meat.

On my big trips up to the island, if I invite an adult friend then we divide the costs of the truck fuel, ferry, boat fuel, food and lodging. When I bring family, it's on me. :D

totally agree with your points, spring fever...but I think our circumstances are a little different. This is an annual trip that I organize, we usually have 5-6 boats and 20 guys. Every year I have to turn many guys down who would love to come on this trip. I'm not bitching, I love doing it and have a great time...but I kind of feel like a guide on this trip. The more I think about it the more my mind is made up.

On my other 2 or 3 weekend trips each year, I invite friends to go...and if I can't find anyone to go, I don't go...so have no problem splitting the costs.

There is lots of days I fish alone because guys can't come out for what ever reason. When I go with my buddies I fill the boat before we go and I pay for it. We fill the boat on the way home, and we spilt the bill. Some times they pay for it, plus the ramp but if not we split it how ever many ways. We use all my gear, the odd time they bring something. They bring the own food and drinks. If it's a big trip we take my truck and boat. I pay for my part of the food and lodging(even thou I sleep on the boat so I can have my own space and don't have to listen to their snoring)and they pay for all the fuel, plus their share. I do all the planning, deposits, boat prep and grocery shopping and they just show up and we go. Most guys know there fuel burns for a days fishing. You just tell people about how much it is going to cost and there should be no surprises. Obviously a guy in a tinny and 9.9hp is going to be cheaper and no comforts VS a 20ft++ pilot house with a ******* and cooking facilities and lots of comforts will be more money to run.
But I do have to agree with DoF. I actually backed out of our annual boys fishing trip this year just because of what DoF is talking about. You do all the work and no one offers to help with anything. They played just about all the fish. I cleaned them all. They didn't help tidy the boat. Dinged a prop right a the launch because no one was watching the back of the boat at the launch. $200 bill that no one offered to help pay for. It was one big pain in the butt charter, so decided that they can all sit on the beach and think about it this year. I'm still going little later mind you and still deciding it I'll do it alone or take someone new.
I got 2 buddies that come out from Alberta that I wish lived here they are great in the boat even though they only come once a year or two. I have to fight them to pay for anything and have yet to clean a fish with them. They always buy a gift for the boat. I've had Halibut rods and reels, cleaning table, VHF, wash down pump, Tackle up the ying yany. You name it, and fun,fun guys to fish with. But I only get to see them once every year or two.

My boat was inexpensive and is cheap to operate leaving me extra cash to afford solo trips from the Okanagan to VI. For many reasons, I enjoy fishing alone. If I owned a bigger boat, I would need to bring others to offset costs, plus the odds of not being able to get out due to weather would decrease. I wouldn't be comfortable taking others out in my current boat in sketchy conditions. I'll make two trips alone, and one with my wife to WCVI this summer.
I also have 2 weekend trips with a friend on his boat. We split costs evenly and when I try to pay more than my share, he won't take it even though I know what his boat is worth and what some of his repair bills were. I bring my own gear, but we take turns on the rods when it's slow, so sometimes I'll play a fish on his stuff. I clean the boat, but it's his baby and he usually sends me to play with fish and ice so he can tidy up the way he likes it. I dress the fish, and when we get home we work together with the vacuum sealers and split everything unless it's too late then I will do it all while he is working the next day. I try to be as helpful as I can, with docking, spotting logs/kelp/other boats while running, tying gear, brining, fixing stuff, steering etc...
I have it good, and am trying not to mess it up.

I don't really agree with charging FRIENDS 100% of fuel, launch etc...I see it as an "entertainment value" kind of thing, they are you friends after all. They can chip in for some fuel, maybe 50%, or split it evenly amongst everyone and pay the launch fee, and bring food and drink if they offer more I think thats very generous...But you choose to own a boat, you choose to keep it moored, you choose to invite them out etc...What next, you going to charge your friends to come over and have a hot tub at your place? Or charge them next time they come over for a bbq? Maybe charge them in fuel next time you give them a lift somewhere. COME ON!
Hmmmm Lets see add in mortgage add in your power add in insurance, add in taxs, add in this and that....$750,000.....

I was once invited to a friend of a friends place for a "poker" night, we were each asked to bring an appy to share and drinks for yourself. No problem, thats pretty standard amongst my age group and friends for an evening event. After we were all settled in and around the table and the hostess persons says, so we don't have to "buy in" for a $20 buy in because its our house rules so that was $40, so out of 7 people 2 didn't have to buy in...and then they asked if everyone could chip in $5 towards food. She provided some chips/salsa and a smaller cheese and cracker plater. The appy we brought alone probably exceeded the value of her entire cost of food that she had put out. I will never go to that girls house again...

I figure I'm heading out anyways, so it doesn't cost more to take a buddy with me. So I leave it to them. If they want to kick in with cash, I take it. If they want to buy the beers, I'll take it. If they bought the bait, done. If we take their boat some times and my boat others, it will balance out. But if they NEVER "give back" then they don't get an invite. I leave it to them because they all have different financial capabilities. But when they ask, I let them know that policy too. "Give back what you can."

There is lots of days I fish alone because guys can't come out for what ever reason. When I go with my buddies I fill the boat before we go and I pay for it. We fill the boat on the way home, and we spilt the bill. Some times they pay for it, plus the ramp but if not we split it how ever many ways. We use all my gear, the odd time they bring something. They bring the own food and drinks. If it's a big trip we take my truck and boat. I pay for my part of the food and lodging(even thou I sleep on the boat so I can have my own space and don't have to listen to their snoring)and they pay for all the fuel, plus their share. I do all the planning, deposits, boat prep and grocery shopping and they just show up and we go. Most guys know there fuel burns for a days fishing. You just tell people about how much it is going to cost and there should be no surprises. Obviously a guy in a tinny and 9.9hp is going to be cheaper and no comforts VS a 20ft++ pilot house with a ******* and cooking facilities and lots of comforts will be more money to run.
But I do have to agree with DoF. I actually backed out of our annual boys fishing trip this year just because of what DoF is talking about. You do all the work and no one offers to help with anything. They played just about all the fish. I cleaned them all. They didn't help tidy the boat. Dinged a prop right a the launch because no one was watching the back of the boat at the launch. $200 bill that no one offered to help pay for. It was one big pain in the butt charter, so decided that they can all sit on the beach and think about it this year. I'm still going little later mind you and still deciding it I'll do it alone or take someone new.
I got 2 buddies that come out from Alberta that I wish lived here they are great in the boat even though they only come once a year or two. I have to fight them to pay for anything and have yet to clean a fish with them. They always buy a gift for the boat. I've had Halibut rods and reels, cleaning table, VHF, wash down pump, Tackle up the ying yany. You name it, and fun,fun guys to fish with. But I only get to see them once every year or two.

Ha Ha!! That's guiding!! You may as well charge them if that's how those bums roll. Your buddies from Alberta sure seem like standup guys that are appreciative

Jaymasta i think it is different if you are in a small boat like the ones we have, i don't usually ask people to chip in for gas , at the most i am spending 40 bucks anyway, i think if your inviting someone fishing in a small boat most likely cost isn't a huge factor, but when your towing a big boat to say the west coast and spending 3-4 day entertaining your friends on your big fancy boat and flipping 100 dollar bills hand of fist at the fuel pump there has to be an understanding,i spent 4 nights across the seat of my truck at the gov dock in bamfield last year just so i could afford to be there and help contribute. I Drove the gravel to bamfield 4 different times just to have a chance at some big springs and also slept across the back seat of my buddies boat in Poetnook for a couple nights. If your serious about fishing then pitching in for gas,food,beer,ice,bait,tackle,launch, is well worth the privilege too fish the westcoast in my opinion. there is no such thing as a free fishing trip unless you win it in a raffle , You gotta pay to play so to speak.

if you take out stand up people they will pay for it without a question asked.as you all know boats cost a ton there is no free ride in life so tell your buddies to buck up and enjoy the fishing trip

It should be simple, just say up front this trip is going to cost X split between the crew members. Then everybody knows what to expect.

It's a no brainer. Whether hunting or fishing all those who go share in the cost evenly. Been doing that for 35 years or so and never once had an issue.
Dave

For local trips I've always welcomed anybody on board my boat and I always will. Chances are if they didn't come I'd be going myself so any cost sharing is a bonus.

Long trips I always outline the costs up front or work with whoever has the boat to help determine the cost up front. I think it's rude to invite someone fishing, not mention cost and hand them a bill for 100$ at the end of the day. I also don't expect my buddies to pay for the costs that I chose to own a boat (moorage, maintenance, repairs, original purchase price etc). Unless they have part ownership that's your responsibility. If you're trying to recoup your costs from your fishing buddies then that's a charter boat. And on a charter they tell you the price up front.

That's just how I roll the anchovy. ;)

I never get anal about costs. The people I choose to call my friends dont have to worry about costs, as things always work themselves out in the end. I can maybe count the number of true friends i have on one hand, they know who they are, and I would do anything for them. If they are not available, I go by myself.

I never get anal about costs. The people I choose to call my friends dont have to worry about costs, as things always work themselves out in the end. I can maybe count the number of true friends i have on one hand, they know who they are, and I would do anything for them. If they are not available, I go by myself.

X2... live my life the same way..... :)

Most of the time when I'm looking for people to come with me it because I don't want to go by my self. I'm still going and wether it's by myself or with a boatload of people it still costs the same regardless,If they can throw in a few bucks for gas thats great.

Im just glad to have a few good buddies on the boat with me so i dont ask or take fuel, usually they pick up the ramp fee and pay for wings n beer once in a while. Im looking for more participation like tying gear, clean the boat, handle the boat and gear and sharing the whole experience and of course letting the captain have the first fish lol.

Back