Seized Engine???

Wwunder

Hi Guys, I was out with the family for a cruise yesterday and must have picked up a piece of kelp at the beach... Long story short, the intake must have been blocked and the engine overheated. Once it cooled I refilled with fresh water and tried to restart but the starter couldn't turn it over. I also hooked up a booster pack in case the battery was weak, but no luck. I couldn't figure out a way to try manually turning the motor so just relaxed for a long putt home on the kicker.

Anyway, its a Volvo 3.0GS motor with an SX leg. Any tips of things I might be able to check at home or where to take it would be greatly appreciated. It looks like I would have to pull some engine mounts in order to get at the crankshaft to try turning it.

I would recommend checking the oil in your engine block immediately -- if it's creamy white -- it's possible that the block cracked or your risers failed and water has entered your cylinders. You can also pull the plugs and check for water entry too. If there is water in the cylinders, the boat absolutely will not crank like you're experiencing.

If there is water present -- you should drain the block of oil immediately (like today) and get some good oil into each cylinder right away by refilling the block and via the plug holes. Then either raise the drive or better pull the boat out of the water and crank the engine (without the plugs) -- to get the oil well distributed in the cylinders so they don't rust out.

There are lots of other things that could cause the boat to seize but I'd start by looking for signs of water immediately -- the longer you let it sit if there is water inside, the more expensive the repair. If it's just failed risers, while bad, clearing out the water and adding new oil can save the engine -- and worst case you'd replace the risers (and maybe manifolds) and possibly the exhaust flappers (if they melted) and be back in business. Cracked block is obviously worse...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Guys, I will be checking with the insurance company today, but I still need to figure out the extent of the damage and identify a course of action. I did check the oil dipstick while waiting for the engine to cool and the oil was clear. It only had about 4 hours use since the last oil change so it still looks new.

Thanks for the tip about water in the cylinders, I will pull the plugs today. It is a trailer boat so its in the driveway now. I couldn't see a way to manually turn the engine with a breaker bar without pulling engine mounts or the leg so I guess i'll keep trying with the started once the plugs are out.

Any mechanic recommendations? If i go the insurance route I will need a formal assessment and quote. I'm close to downtown so Gartside and SG power are nearby volvo dealers any reason to choose one over the other?

Any mechanic recommendations? If i go the insurance route I will need a formal assessment and quote. I'm close to downtown so Gartside and SG power are nearby volvo dealers any reason to choose one over the other?

I'd recommend giving Cam at call at West Coast Marine Diesel. He does more than just diesel engines. Young guy -- mobile. His rates are good and he is very honest. http://westcoastmarinediesel.com/

Garside is Good, Charles is his name tell him I sent you he looked after me VERY well in spring time down there...

Good luck Wolf

Gartside at OBM for sure. They do my servicing, pricing is fair and workmanship is top notch

If you have insurance just get the claim going and take it to a shop to deal with it all

If you have insurance just get the claim going and take it to a shop to deal with it all

I'm thinking it might be a very tough insurance claim. I'd guess you'd have to have clear evidence of picking up an object that caused the overheat -- e.g. a photo of a plastic bag than covered the water pickups in your outdrive. Normally insurance doesn't cover mechanical failures caused by maintenance etc and I would suspect they will try to deny a claim and suggest that the overheat was due to a routine failure (e.g. impeller, failed riser etc...). Certainly doesnt hurt to try, and it would be great if a mechanical inspection found a weed or bag or something but I wouldn't get my hopes up on the cost being covered unfortunately.

My neighbor is a broker and he says he deals with blocked water intake claims a handful of times every year
as a covered claim, most of the time its plastic bags picked up in the water causing it

I am with hub and the underwriter is coast. They just replaced my motor due to manifold failure and the failure being misdiagnosed. Depends on your coverage you have but worth checking into.

I'm thinking it might be a very tough insurance claim. I'd guess you'd have to have clear evidence of picking up an object that caused the overheat -- e.g. a photo of a plastic bag than covered the water pickups in your outdrive. Normally insurance doesn't cover mechanical failures caused by maintenance etc and I would suspect they will try to deny a claim and suggest that the overheat was due to a routine failure (e.g. impeller, failed riser etc...). Certainly doesnt hurt to try, and it would be great if a mechanical inspection found a weed or bag or something but I wouldn't get my hopes up on the cost being covered unfortunately.

Just went through an insurance claim with overheated engine and they covered the work to the tune of just over $10gs

It will be covered if it was an overheat from something in the water I think its called perils at sea coverage "if" you have it easy enough to do phone insurance company you are with explain you picked up something and have a certified mechanic have it diagnosed, When I had a leg go from an impact hit of who knows what ?? they didnt even come look at it sent them some pics and a report from mechanic is all that was needed..
hopefully you can get it done fast ... so you wont miss this season..

Good luck Wolf

Well I pulled the plugs last night and found water in two cylinders... I pumped out the water and filled with penetrating oil, but no luck turning her over yet. Still not sure on insurance, but its worth a try. I definitely had a large blade of kelp fall away from the leg when we tilted it up to check things out. No photos of it though.

JUST CALL you have only a certain amount of time on a claim you dont need photos etc the professional mech, is your witness

Adjuster is coming to take a look on Thursday. Not sure if the mechanic will have a chance to look by then, but she knows an assessment is coming and will wait for her opinion.

Adjuster is coming to take a look on Thursday. Not sure if the mechanic will have a chance to look by then, but she knows an assessment is coming and will wait for her opinion.

How are the repairs and claim coming along?

With cylinders full of water you may have hydro locked it and could have bent a rod or two. Water doesn't compress like air.

Back