Seastar Hydraulic

Well I lost some fluid (went on the floor) so I am trying to top it up. When I turn the wheel one direction or the other the fluid seems to go down, so i keep adding fluid. Am I doing this the right way?
There are couple of taps at the back by the motor. Should I mess with them?

Cheers
vic

Attached is a link to the procedure for purging or bleeding your steering.
http://marinemechanic.com/site/page218.html

To make it easier I bought some clear tubing that fit over the nipples on the hyraulic ram, these tubes where about 20" long and dumped into a clear plastic container. I also made up a fitting that screws into the helm filler cap connected to a tube and filler bottle, something like an IV drip. This made bleeding the system easy for one person. Its not a bad idea to change the fluid once in a while. Note, seastar oil is the same type of oil as avaition hydraulic fluid and can bought at the airport maintance shops for much less, just make sure the mil specs match.

Hey Marula,

If you use the tubing how do you make your wife feel likes she's envolved and adding value to your boating experience as you just took away her "holding the bucket while you turn the wheel" job???

I'm ducking and running for cover now :D

just did mine a litle while ago......the directions seastar provided worked but would not blead it fully.....I got so p.ssed at it I just sat there for half an hour with the vents closed turning the wheel back and forth and it blead it self...dont know if it helps .

Back