Seals 0 - 2muchdraft 1

Had the best fight for a fish of my life.
Trap shack 60ft anchovy 9am - fish on. He stays down so I know he's a good size, peels off some line. Play him as usual for about 15 mims. Surfaces 100ft off. Yeah - you know what comes next - then I see the seal. he takes it by the tail and goes straight down, 250 ft. Stays down for a minute or so, then comes up 50ft away. 3 of us on the boat, 1 on the kicker, me on the rod, another on the sling shot with rocks.
Down the seal goes again 250ft straight down. And again, comes back up for air - this time we figure out the pattern and we chase it down closer to the boat when he surfaces and a better shot with the wrist rocket. This time we see a second seal nearby and as one of our rocks hits near the seal and he releases the fish, the second seal takes it. Same thing happens, sounds, comes up and we chase it down. this time when we hit him and he releases, I wind like crazy and get the fish almost to the boat and the first seal takes her down again. This goes on for an hour - we hit him at least 4 or 5 times and get him close to the boat 4 times. 5th time was the charm and there was a lot of hooting and hollering after that. Lots of boats stopped and watched the show. One guy even yelled at me "might as well cut your line, you'll never get him in."

29.5 Lbs and 1st prize in the Consultants Invitational Tournament. Took home a Penn 330 for my effort.

30Lber002.jpg

Forgot to mention - notice the cut marks by the gills and the roughed up tail - that's the ony marks it got!

Gotta go, lots of fish to process!

Way to stick it to the seals!Derby winning fish and a couple of seals with bad headaches-double the pleasure:D:D

nice work - didn't get the full story at the weigh in - thought you were only fighting the 1 seal and the other one was just trying to latch on. Think thats when we were going back for a new release clip so missed the show.

Yeah, like u said, not bad shape at all for the abuse it took - I gotta get me a slingshot....

dave

fish looks great for what it has been through
way to be

way to go man , nice fish and good work on getting the seals outta the way.

Poor seals...

NOT!

Nice fish - Fantastic story - Congrats!

Hey 2much, It was good talking to you at the derby . I didn't realize you were one of the forum rats here. Catch the big one up at the cabin!

Carl

Back