Sealing existing Pod question

CIVANO

I have an old 23' Grady with a factory pod. The pod has a large block of foam inside which appears to still be in good shape. Every time I go out the pod gets water inside. Yesterday I put a funnel in the bottom drain hole, soaped all the edges of the pod and used a shop vac to blow air through the funnel. There were lots of bubbles at the top edge of the pod at the fiberglass transom meeting. I previously put silicone seal all around the pod edge to try and stop the leak. After seeing the bubbles I spent an hour removing all of the old silicone. What is the best product to reseal the pod on all edges where it attaches to the transom? 3M 5200? 3m 4000uv, dow 795? I watched youtube and got the 3 suggestions. Help me please.
The access plate does not leak after siliconing it

My bet is that you will have to wait until the boat is layed up after the summer...pull the pod off..clean up the mating surfaces and reseal that surface....sealing around the outer joint area is more cosmetic than anything. If its aluminum I would use the time to blast it and re-powder coat it. If it is open at the transom you could even have a fab shop close it off with flat stock and that would eliminate the problem right there.

I just did this on my Grady 232 after finding a 15 gallons of seawater in the pod. Pulling the pod completely off was not something I wanted to do. I decided conservative approach first- I put a brand new plug in using Teflon tape and silicone (I suspect the old plug was leaking as it basically disintegrated when I pulled it out, also when I stuck my inspection camera in, it looked like that's where the water was entering), resealed the inspection plate on top, used a Dremel tool to remove all the old caulking where the pod connects to the transom. Wiped down with acetone. I used 3M 4200 in black below the waterline and in white above the water line to match my bottom paint. The 4200 is thick and good below the waterline. Do not use 5200 imo as it's a permanent bond and will be a huge pain if you ever need to take apart. I took for a test run and no water got in after 6 hours in the chuck.

I just did this on my Grady 232 after finding a 15 gallons of seawater in the pod. Pulling the pod completely off was not something I wanted to do. I decided conservative approach first- I put a brand new plug in using Teflon tape and silicone (I suspect the old plug was leaking as it basically disintegrated when I pulled it out, also when I stuck my inspection camera in, it looked like that's where the water was entering), resealed the inspection plate on top, used a Dremel tool to remove all the old caulking where the pod connects to the transom. Wiped down with acetone. I used 3M 4200 in black below the waterline and in white above the water line to match my bottom paint. The 4200 is thick and good below the waterline. Do not use 5200 imo as it's a permanent bond and will be a huge pain if you ever need to take apart. I took for a test run and no water got in after 6 hours in the chuck.
Thank you!

Back