Filling the transom hole for pod

23Hourston

Well I got the old merc transom shield of the23 Hourston today what a c
I figure I can fill the hole myself.. as pod guy want 800/1000 bucks to do it .
Not finding much on doing it tho
Luckily when this boat was rebuilt 10 to 15 years ago they were smart enough to put resin all over the Bare wood it’s pretty solid thank Christ. Any tips on making this happen 3A760CA0-E80C-465C-A3B6-4AE39506E19B.jpeg

If the hole is well sealed just make a plywood filler piece the same shape and thickness as existing plywood minus the inside and outside glass.Seal all the surfaces of the new piece w.poly resin especially the end plywood core before installing.Sand or grind the edges of hole and new filler piece ,clean w/acetone and then put in place w/thickened resin (chopped strand).You'll need to screw a few pieces around the outside edges to align it properly,let set.Drill out the bolt holes to get to clean wood,fill with wood dowelling and epoxy.Now the fun (not) part,suit up and use dust and face mask to grind a 6" -8"approx. perimeter around the filler piece from nothing at the filler to nothing at the outside edge inside and outside transom.Alternate mat,cloth ,roving until it's built up past existing glass level.Let set overnight,grind back till it conforms to existing shape,sand,clean ,gelcoat.There's probably only $100 -$200 in materials,but your labour is priceless. Only do it in a warm environment.Good luck.

Im not a glass guy but the guy that filled my twin leg holes did what Rayvon said and then added an inch to the inside of the transom. Then gel coated white . Looks good and added some strength.

Well that explains why it’s 800 /1000 bucks
Thanks for the info

Attachments

• 6C3DB132-149E-4C9B-AB61-C40BCD039C79.jpeg
    6C3DB132-149E-4C9B-AB61-C40BCD039C79.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 30
I'd have the pod guy do it. Highly likely that where the pod/transom join/make contact that both surfaces must be fair to each other (no gaps). A certain amount of reenforcement is probably required. FYI my insurance company wants my recently podded boat structurally surveyed.

Back