Scotty DR Problem

JuandeOne

A friend of mine recently bought a couple older model electric Scotty DR. When the rigger retrieves line from say 150 feet, it only wants to coil on the bottom of the spool instead of evenly on the spool. As a result, when letting line out, larger coils begin to form and the line sometimes binds on itself.

Anyone run into this problem before? Is there something that can be done differently to prevent this?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

It's the guide that directs the cable or braid onto the spool between the pulley and the spool. Adjust it when bringing it up so it rolls onto the spool evenly. Very easily remedied.

X2, a simple adjustment of the line guide located on your boom and that solve the problem. You may need to play a little with the exact position to get it centred on the boom so it threads the line straight onto the spool.

Searun

th_067.jpg

I had this same problem with my older short boom riggers . The booms over time bent down putting it out of alignment. Remedy was bend the boom back up till the line spooled straight (caution you may damage the plastic boom holder). Or order a new boom.

I have the same problem. Only happens on the port side with either rigger. I have tried adjusting the guide, booms are straight. It's weird. I just give the line a tug upwards. A few times when retrieving. Never been able to figure it out.

Can you rotate the boom 180 degrees so that it wants to spool on the top and then let gravity do the rest? I've never looked at if the roller and guide can be reversed.

You can definitely buy new booms from Scotty. Many people have swapped out short booms for longer ones.

Back