Scotty downrigger electrical problems

Sharphooks

So, got out on the water today (finally) and my Scotty (older model electric) puked on me

When I turned the magic green button to retrieve cable, all I got was a muted buzz from the electric motor

Can anybody suggest what the problem might be based on that symptom?

I guess what I'm asking is---do Scotty motors go down and need to be replaced or is there some other part of the DR I should be looking at

thanks for comments, Gents

I had a motor replaced as well, however have you tried wiggling the plug ?
sometimes its just a bad connection

Did you try plugging it into the other side of the boat to possibly eliminate a bad receptacle or battery end connection?

Remove the drive belt(s). With a multimeter check to be sure you are getting 12 volts at the female down rigger plug. If you are then plug it back in and remove the motor cover. (underneath one) Turn the motor on with the switch and check for 12v at the motor connections. If you are getting 12v and the motor is not turning, it is likely the motor but you can disconnect the terminals and apply 12v directly to the wires leading to the motor to verify. If 12v is not present at the motor then you have a bad connection or an open ( broken wire) somewhere between the motor and the battery on either the power or ground side.

Thanks for the comments, Gents. The puzzler was the buzz when I applied power---I figured if the motor was toast, there wouldn't be any noise at all.

Turned out to be the belt-tension wheel---it somehow got jammed. I removed the drive belt and the motor wheel spun no problem when I applied power--that was the clue that it was a mechanical issue, not an electrical issue

This DR is pushing 15 years old and never an issue---pretty impressive. Thanks again for the comments, Gents

possibly moisture in the motor or corroded connections..

Back