Scammer alert

I was messaged last Saturday in regards to my ISO post looking for an islander searun. Guys name is Phil, I’ll post a picture of the conversation. Phil directed me to an email of a guy looking to sell a searun.
I messaged the the email using text message and found the sellers replies short and incomplete. (Red flag). But thought maybe better to just email. So I follow up the last text with an email.
The email answers were slightly better but still missing info that was asked.
to cut this shorter, I ended up requesting pictures of both reels he said he had and only ended up getting one picture of one reel.
While waiting for this response I decided to google islander searun amd browsed some pictures.
I ended up finding the same single picture of a silver searun from an Ontario steelheader forum from 2012. Just not cropped like the one buddy sent.
look at the pictures and I’d steer clear of these two. Just my opinion. 71457CAD-2485-4782-B419-4102A18C235E.pngCDC31AD6-6A5B-488E-8C04-694F63B5F65C.png35AAED30-21EF-47A6-A411-4F6D340CDE81.pngBDB3C3A2-3945-4FBD-A956-8CE26D208B6E.pngE21CD21F-8948-4092-83B3-51B01CC76B77.png

New members telling you to email them about something you're looking for is always a scam. Happens every time you post an ISO thread

We have dealt with this situation. As RC noted, everyone needs to be on alert for anything that doesn't seem to add up or pass the smell test, and avoid any dealings with them. Also, please report any suspicious activity, as Dutch Poacher did, either by using the "Report" tab or via email, so we can attempt to help resolve any issues.

Thanks,

Brian

I have a similar situation with these two names. I posted I was looking for a reliable firewood dealer. This Philip Bryan sent me the Name and email address of Jeremy Guyer. I sent him an email and a couple of days later he responded basically in the same words that he used in Dutch Poachers email. Long story short this Jeremy Guyer keeps stringing me along. Glad DP posted this now I know this is a scam. REALLY!!! trying to scam me on a firewood deal???? The reason I posted my original ad was to avoid scammers on FB and CL. Is the fact this guyer fool has my email address a security risk? I did Google this guy and came up with nothing.

Had a deal with firewood guy for a cord of fir split and delivered for $225. He put me off a few times then finally showed up and was full of attitude. Price is $250 a cord he says. I’m like we had a deal and he flat out said he didn’t care he had people lined up that would pay the $250 so if I didnt want it he would take it elsewhere. I told him I guess he had me over a barrel and told him where to unload it. 20 minutes later he comes to the door and asks for his $250 so I told him I wasn’t interested. He could load it up and f&$k right off. There was some back and forth and he tried for the original price but in the end he restacked the wood In his truck and left. Best lesson learned I think because his ad price was changed to $250 after that.

Last edited:
I have a similar situation with these two names. I posted I was looking for a reliable firewood dealer. This Philip Bryan sent me the Name and email address of Jeremy Guyer. I sent him an email and a couple of days later he responded basically in the same words that he used in Dutch Poachers email. Long story short this Jeremy Guyer keeps stringing me along. Glad DP posted this now I know this is a scam. REALLY!!! trying to scam me on a firewood deal???? The reason I posted my original ad was to avoid scammers on FB and CL. Is the fact this guyer fool has my email address a security risk? I did Google this guy and came up with nothing.

Email, in and of itself, won't be a problem, unless you provided personal information or gave him access to your files in anyway. I know that sounds crazy, but it has happened to lots of people in the online world. Long story short, as I stated earlier, be cautious and trust your gut. In the case of our site, check the member out, see if they have a history of posting, and if they are new, doesn't mean they aren't legit, but you may want to see the merchandise before you commit. Third party, as in I am doing this for a friend, is often used as a scam approach online. Last but not least, the old adage of it "sounds to good to be true" is always a tell tale sign to be cautious in your approach to deals anywhere.

I had the same experience with this idiot. asked me to email this person which i did then they emailed back and also texted and asked where i was to send the "Prawn traps" i was looking for. I didn't bother to entertain that conversation

1650576540400.png

Back