Sayulita, Mexico

jimbob

Does anyone have info on saltwater fishing in Sayulita in March? We are headed there and would like to spend some time on the water.

You might have to come over to the marina at La Cruz????may be some pangas at your location, but haven't seen any larger boats there.

Look for Danny Gomez at La Cruz Marina. Hands down the hardest working guide and nicest guy you could ever fish with!!

Take you Steelhead gear-throwing spoons/spinners to Bonitos can be all kinds of fun and the white meat ones (Barrilete) are delicious.

I've rented a boat and driver from Punta de Mita which is just south of Sayulita. It was cheap. We rented a large panga which had a canopy and held 7 guys and surf gear no problem. Can't comment on fishing though. Fish tacos from the street vendors in Sayulita are amazing. Watch out for a dirty mexican named Nacho. He's trouble.

I've fused with Capt. Lora out of Punta Mita a couple of times. He works very hard. His boat is Fortuna, check it out on line. There's a great fish market in La Cruz, great shrimp and all kinds of fresh fish.
Adios
Stosh

I just got back from Sayulita/San Pancho yesterday. We took a charter out of San Pancho (20 minutes north of Sayulita) We did a half day trip and did a bit of trolling and did some bottomfishing as that is what the skipper recommended as it was slow for dorado, tuna etc. The larger bigger boats were getting some tuna and sailfish 30 miles offshore appartently. We caught lots of red snapper while bottomfishing. Our skipper also got a big Jack Crevalle on his handline. Check this video out.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?v=488107284566919

We trolled for a couple hours and got a couple skipjack tuna. We went out with Pando... http://sanpancholife.com/business/pandos_tours Good guy and new panga. He said there are lots of roosterfish in March. Trip was $200 US for 6 hours. He had a deckhand onboard as well. I highly recommend San Pancho as a destination as well, way more relaxed than Sayulita.

Right out of sayulita I've only seen the pangas, but they are a lot more reasonable than in the marina of puerto or nuevo Vallarta. 3 reasons (there's probably more) 1) less demand 2) no moorage fees 3) you don't burn two hours of fuel going out of the bay and back in. I wouldn't do deep sea in a panga but 1/2 day of bottom fishing from sayulita sounds good. We went bottom fishing in a panga out of mazatlan a few years ago and ran into a school of dorado, so they aren't out of the question just because you go bottom fishing. Oh and it's very easy to bring it home with you unless you have to overnight on the way home.

Back